Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't understand why political leanings would have anything to do with a neighborhood.
From the frequent questions here on that subject, it appears that is a concern of only one side of the political spectrum. Who are apparently petrified of finding a neighbor with a perspective that differs from theirs.

I don't think you are on that side, hence your lack of understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:34 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
From the frequent questions here on that subject, it appears that is a concern of only one side of the political spectrum. Who are apparently petrified of finding a neighbor with a perspective that differs from theirs.

I don't think you are on that side, hence your lack of understanding.
Diversity and tolerance are one thing, mono-culture and one-party state are something else. Republicans (new type) justify their hegemony with the fact that Texas was essentially a one party state from 1877 to 1967, and they have that fact on their side. Doesn't make it right or them an improvement, however.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Diversity and tolerance are one thing, mono-culture and one-party state are something else. Republicans (new type) justify their hegemony with the fact that Texas was essentially a one party state from 1877 to 1967, and they have that fact on their side. Doesn't make it right or them an improvement, however.
I'm sure, inside the echo chamber, that makes sense. But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the reluctance, oft expressed here, of liberals to live in a neighborhood with other viewpoints. Perhaps you can explain it better?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I'm sure, inside the echo chamber, that makes sense. But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the reluctance, oft expressed here, of liberals to live in a neighborhood with other viewpoints. Perhaps you can explain it better?
I can't. But when you run into your liberal straw man in that echo chamber of yours, you can ask him.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Stay around more than a month. You will see the referenced behavior in spades.
I'll keep an eye out for liberals, marxists and machiavellians, yankees and californians.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Probably tough for you to find anything else.
Well, they don't worry me, that's for sure. Kind of refreshing, actually, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't understand why political leanings would have anything to do with a neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
As a liberal Circle C resident, I took a little offense at that too. I know I'm definitely not alone with my political viewpoint in my neighborhood! I wouldn't call Circle C predominately liberal or conservative. It's pretty 50/50.
I live in SW Austin and while I know the general mix of leanings, 50/50 as AMJ says, it doesn't actually surface either way when interfacing with people in 99% of the situations involving neighbors. Maybe only if at a gathering the conversation turns political. But even then, people are cordial.

I do think political leanings are important to those with strident views, either way, because they take umbrage with opposing/different views and feel most comfortable ensconced within a cocoon of like-minded thinkers who won't question or challenge their viewpoints. Travis Heights 78704 is an example of this, where the lone Republican kept having his Bush 2000 yard sign torn down and defaced repeatedly and even his car vandalized (there was an AAS article about it) because his liberal neighbors just couldn't bear the site of it. That's pretty sad and I wouldn't want to get to know those kind of people or become friends with them.

I actually think, generalizing from the New Yorkers I know and have met, that they can fit and blend in just about anyplace in Austin because they come from a place where they are exposed to a lot of different viewpoints and issues, and where having an opinion is expected, not something to hide. A homophobe from someplace like Nebraska might have a tougher time accepting Austin's Libertarian-like leanings.

Steve

Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
That might have been true of Travis Heights in 2000 -- those precincts all went for Ralph Nader! But it certainly isn't true in 2015! Much more mixed district now then it was. And you all will be stunned to know of a Ted Cruz sign that went untouched, unvandalized, and even unremarked on for over a YEAR! in 78704.

The Travis Heights that Bill Bishop wrote about in Big Sort has changed significantly since then (he also wrote the AAS piece).

Last edited by centralaustinite; 03-09-2015 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
That might have been true of Travis Heights in 2000 -- those precincts all went for Ralph Nader! But it certainly isn't true in 2015! Much more mixed district now then it was. And you all will be stunned to know of a Paul Cruz sign that went untouched, unvandalized, and even unremarked on for over a YEAR! in 78704.

The Travis Heights that Bill Bishop wrote about in Big Sort has changed significantly since then (he also wrote the AAS piece).

lmao @ "Paul Cruz"

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
lmao @ "Paul Cruz"

Ha!! Not enough coffee this morning AND I've just been reading emails about our new AISD superintendent!! I'll change it. Senator Ted Cruz emails me every week, you'd think I'd remember it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin