Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,745 times

Advertisements

Considering a move for a few years but have heard that the allergies are really bad in the Austin area.

Coming from a NorthEast city I have no idea what are the primary allergens one might find there.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
Mountain cedar and mold

Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

http://images.news8austin.com/media/..._annual_sm.jpg

Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Cedar, cedar, and more cedar. There are others, but this seems to be, by far, the most debilitating.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Mold is as debilitating as cedar is for our family because mold is always present here. We will be moving out of state because of it specifically -- as well as cedar -- because we can no longer take primary and secondary OTC allergy meds for preventative maintenance due to the internationally-recognized confirmed studies linking prolonged use (3 years or more) to dementia and Alzheimer's in later life. We've been off OTC meds for two weeks or so now -- since the study went public -- and without preventive histamine blockers we're a mess. Crazy because it's not just us... many, many people are now aware of the findings at school and some at work too and people are really suffering w/o the meds.

Right now, we know of three families set to move out of central TX by summer bc prolonged OTC allergy med use is no longer an option -- it truly is/was the only way for many residents of central TX to cope.

Hey, maybe the population will start to drop off now and the traffic will improve? Austin. Winning.

Also, oak, elm and ragweed are always bad for us here.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM

99 posts, read 146,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
We will be moving out of state because of it specifically -- as well as cedar -- because we can no longer take primary and secondary OTC allergy meds for preventative maintenance due to the internationally-recognized confirmed studies linking prolonged use (3 years or more) to dementia and Alzheimer's in later life.
I thought it was the anticholinergic effects that have been linked to Alzheimers, not the antihistaminic effects. The newer antihistamines do not have an anticholinergic effect. The old ones that do are diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine.

See this article: Common anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl linked to increased dementia risk - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
I thought it was the anticholinergic effects that have been linked to Alzheimers, not the antihistaminic effects. The newer antihistamines do not have an anticholinergic effect. The old ones that do are diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine.

See this article: Common anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl linked to increased dementia risk - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications
Possible anticholinergics include those listed with an ABC score of 1 which are all OTC allergy meds with the exception of Allegra. In the UK they've run the same studies but years ago (!) with the same findings and direct links thus it appears their OTC allergy meds there have warning labels on them.

More info on this chart which is easy to read, CptnRn posted it weeks back. http://www.agingbraincare.org/upload...legal_size.pdf

The point is -- for us -- I've been taking Zyrtec for more than 3 years, 365 days a year in order to live here. We've been giving it to our child for 2.5 years - every day - to cope. Benadryl as needed and prescribed by multiple local allergists "anytime it really gets bad" which is a lot. Not willing to take a chance.

Also, we have ties to the University of Washington and requested the entire full-length academic study; the facts, figures and confirmed links were anything but encouraging. Not willing to risk it.

I truly feel sorry for anyone who has taken a drug with an ABC score of 2 or 3 for a prolonged period if time.

Last edited by Idlewile; 03-05-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 PM

99 posts, read 146,850 times
Seems to be the biggest issue if you are elderly. Otherwise, we'd be seeing dementia in everyone and they'd take them off the market. Are you planing to move somewhere where there "are no allergies", if so, where would that be?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 PM

77 posts, read 77,687 times
I'll keep banging on about this....xylitol nasal spray is great at reducing allergy symptoms. The one I've recommended is the Xlear brand which is available at whole foods for about $15.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
Are you planing to move somewhere where there "are no allergies", if so, where would that be?
I have lived all over -- northern CA, southern CA, CO, GA, OH, CT, NY, MA -- and haven't had any issues other than occasional hay fever which an OTC knocks out completely versus taking one 356 days/year here and still feeling like I have a cold because the counts are so high here compared to elsewhere and mold is present year round. There are plenty of folks who move here and then move away only because of allergies, it's not uncommon. e.g. There have been two or three from Austin who have ended up on the C-D Denver board just in the last 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadbach View Post
I'll keep banging on about this....xylitol nasal spray is great at reducing allergy symptoms. The one I've recommended is the Xlear brand which is available at whole foods for about $15.
It's cheaper on Amazon and free shipping. Too bad it does nothing for me, I was excited to try it. Nasacort does help me however, I've found, like many others have, that it works significantly better for me than Flonase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: