Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations in Austin for:

1. a really good old fashioned bakery - the kind that makes butter cookies and really yummy birthday cakes and such.

2. a European deli - ideally one that sells Polish items like Polish sausage and pierogis...

thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,006 times
I like Upper Crust on Burnet & 45th...a good deli is just down the street from them. I can't recall the name but it's Italian deli place and they're right across the street from DSHS at 1100 West 49th & Lamar in Central Austin.

-Jen

Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Default Bakery & Such

Hi Gigi,

I can't help too much with bakeries cause luckily I don't like sweets much. Upper Crust is just a couple of blocks from my house and it's always packed. Have you been to Central Market yet? Everything they make is great and the produce, meat, etc. can't be beat.

I did a google search for fun and found this place in Pflugerville you might like:

http://www.european-bistro.com/

The Italian market txjen is talking about is Mandola's. I haven't been there yet.

There is also a Mediterranean market at 47th and Burnet that you may like. It's called Phoenicia Bakery & Deli.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Thanks for the suggestions! We are still planning our pilgrimages to Central Market/Whole Foods. I did see that Italian deli you're speaking of...we were on our way to get our driver's licenses and commented that it looked pretty good!
I'll look into Upper Crust!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Great to hear that in an age of Starbucks-on-every corner Upper Crust and Phoenicia are still going strong!

Definitely two things about Austin I miss!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
I personally think Austin is very weak on bakeries, delis, and coffee roasters. Coming here from Sonoma County in the North Bay area of CA, it was hard to adjust to the absence of truly exquisite coffee and french bread.

I've tried many local bakeries and haven't found any that hit the spot yet, and the same problem exists with coffee. However, the independent coffeehouse scene in Austin is the best of any place I've been --- it's part of the "keep Austin weird" ethos, to support your local coffeehouse and bypass the corporate giants. On the other hand, you have to put up with inconsistent quality and that "hipper-than-thou" attitude that prevails in the indy coffeehouse scene. Life is full of trade-offs, eh?

Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM

148 posts, read 604,599 times
Default coffeeshops

Can't resist mentioning an Italian market in St. Petersburg, FL that I found recently called Mazzaro's.

It is the real Italian market type of place one would find in New York or San Francisco, I believe.

Anyway, I fell in love with it. They have a wonderful espresso bar where the espresso is dark and earthy, steamed into plain white coffee cups with mounds of frothy foam peaked on top. The pastries there are heavenly, all kinds of wonderful, authentic Italian delicacies to take home.

The decor is so funky. The owners go to flea markets/yard sales and have scavenged all kinds of 1950s religious statues/memorabilia and have adorned the walls with them. There are old gold eagled cappucino coffeemakers by the boatloads adorning the walls. After reading Kinky Friedman's mystery novels where he repeatedly talks about brewing cappucinos in his gold-eagled espresso maker, I recognized these gems on the wall for what they were---the real deal! There is even an old WWII grey motorcycle on a pedestal on the side of one wall near the checkout counter.

Tapes of Frank Sinatra to Andrea Bocelli are playing in the background.

It is such a pleasure to visit the place that I find myself feeling like I can't move where there is not a Mazzaro's...they are one of a kind and will not duplicate themselves.

Anyway, I understand what Deeptrance says about places he likes elsewhere. That is the trouble with moving...unless the place has so much to intrigue you, one finds themselves missing some of what they have left behind.

Am sure Austin has many good places...but couldn't resist mentioning this find in St. Pete. Actually, where I am living now in a small town 55 miles from there, so I am very frustrated with having to drive so far to enjoy the places I love.

Would have no problem moving to St. Pete in the future except for the hurricane issues. One reason have considered Austin as feel it would meet my desires and not have the hurricane factor. But when it comes to moving after years in Florida, seems so hard.

Just have to give up my dreams of putting in the granite counters of my own color choice, yard for the dog, and probably rent in those areas. Then if a hurricane blows us away, will not be losing the downpayment. At least would be able to get to all the neat things easily without driving my beejesus off all the time.

Well, just talking out loud...been reading Austin's forum and other city forums and enjoy people's postings where I can tell many are looking for a similar quality of life (quaint neighborhoods, great restaurants, coffeeshops, antique stores, art galleries, bookstores, interesting people), so sort of ruminating on places of interest.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
...been reading Austin's forum and other city forums and enjoy people's postings where I can tell many are looking for a similar quality of life (quaint neighborhoods, great restaurants, coffeeshops, antique stores, art galleries, bookstores, interesting people), so sort of ruminating on places of interest.
Today while exploring Austin (after being gone only a month) I was amazed by how quickly things are changing. I mean, it's transforming and isn't the city it was a year ago. Can't imagine what it will be like in another 5 years!

But as for my missing certain foods or anything that one can purchase, I have a feeling that's all going to change very soon, if it hasn't already. There's no way I can keep pace with what's going on here, all my info is out of date. One of the most pronounced changes is that the difference in prices between central Austin and the suburbs is growing rapidly. It's still cheap to live in the equivalent of any generic housing development and commute 45 minutes to downtown, but if you want to live in any of the hipper, more creative central areas you're going to pay a major premium. It's an interesting reversal of the trend that started in the 1950s and continued until sometime in the 1990s when people stopped fleeing inner cities and started to move back into them, realizing that's where the action is and suburbs are boring car-oriented places void of culture or any sense of place.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM

26 posts, read 274,478 times
Default Mandola's

I've been to Mandola's (that Italian deli mentioned above) several times. I love it. It can get crowded at "peak" times and you need to sort of fight for a good table, but I've never had to wait long. It's kid-friendly and adult-friendly, and the gnocchi is really awesome (and I'm not usually one to go for that). I don't even really like Italian bakery sweets, but theirs look awesome. They even have great Italian products such as a super yummy pasta sauce that we have now switched to completely (and their prices are competitive).

In addition to the gnocchi, I also endorse their panini (sandwiches) and their fresh mozzerella.

It is a very enjoyable place to go!

Just another comment about location... I live in Central Austin (just outside Hyde Park) and think the premium on housing is TOTALLY worth it. I absolutely love it, even though our house is small. It's really great not to have a commute.

Of course, we might have to move to LA next summer, so I am bracing myself.......

Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 274,478 times
Oh yeah! I love Upper Crust too - their Gateau Marisa is to die for, but I've never been disappointed in anything I've gotten there.

Well, actually, one thing... the cream cheese danish is much better at Quack's in Hyde Park than at Upper Crust - shocking but true : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin