Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 22,373 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Denver and want to move to Texas because I have "dry eye syndrome" and need more humid conditions; and as you know Colorado is very dry. I have an entertainment company (Club dj, Mobile dj, Audio Rental, Private parties, Audio production) and as much as I hate to leave my current clients I need to relocate. I have done some research on both Austin and SA but I need help deciding which one would be better for me, my wife and my son (27, 24 and 3 yrs old) Please help me decide...

- I need to continue my business, my main market is the Latin community but I do Hip-Hop night clubs so can you guys tell me what city out of the two has a bigger night life.
- I'm not so worried about schools since my son will be going to a private school, but can somebody recommend a good neighborhood in Austin and SA... Upper Middle Class, decent water quality, low crime so I can start looking for a home on MLS.
- My wife also has her own business (cleaning company) is there oportunity for her to continue her business in Austin or SA???
-Does anyone know how much in property taxes I would have to pay, let's say for a $175,000 to $250,000 home?

I can't think of anything else right now, but I would really apreciate your help on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:49 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times
sa is more family friendly but austin has a better youngee night life

Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
if you cater to the hispanic market, then SA is the obvious choice.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Property taxes will be about 2.5-3% in either place, so figure $5500 or so with homestead exemption. In reality, there is variation among appraisal districts on how close they will value your house to actual market value. Houston seems to lag pretty far behind current market value, which is a good thing... Austin (Travis CAD at least), on the other hand, is pretty aggressive in keeping up with market values. Sometimes even surpassing what you could sell the home for. So it is more expensive on both the initial cost, and the recurring property tax cost. I don't know how aggresive the Bexar CAD (San Antonio) is.

In SA you will get more for your money, and more latin culture. Don't know about hip-hop, but I'd suspect that might be bigger in SA too. The cleaning company would probably do well in either place, maybe a little better in Austin. But overall, sounds like SA might be your place.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
djlora,

We moved from Evergreen, CO to Austin in 2003--and LOVE Austin. Colorado was all about the outdoors, and Austin is the only city in Texas that has a similar lifestyle. It's a very casual city and the mix of people keeps it interesting. There is something for everyone here! It is very much like Boulder as far as culture. I recommend Eanes ISD for schools (good as any private school for elem, middle and high school) and the west side of town. The move from Colorado was a very easy one to Austin!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Private School for kid & your business catering to the dynamic & growing hispanic community & it's music?.....slam dunk for SA.

Since schools are not so much an issue, i'd look at some of the neat older neighborhoods inside loop 410 north or west of downtown. (or along 410 north).

Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlora View Post
I need to continue my business, my main market is the Latin community
San Antonio

Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 72,845 times
San Antonio has a more active hip hispanic community; but Austin has a more active night life with hispanic community and not many nice clubs for hispanics. The latin scene is also big with the non-hispanics in Austin. it is a real cultural scene. I don't suggest living in Austin though. Thrall school district is wonderful. Since getting married, my husband and I have had our kids in the Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville and Thrall school districts. Pflugerville was the best for a larger city school. Thrall is the absolute best by far. There is also a very large and active community in Taylor, right next to Thrall. You would be in the country and about 35 to 40 minutes from downtown Austin. We also have lower property taxes and more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin