Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 PM

15 posts, read 29,675 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I do Web Programming for a living (for those that are in the same discipline, I am a LAMP programmer) and I have had quite a lot of trouble finding a solid market for my skill set. I was planning to move back to Phoenix, AZ (where I was born and raised), but their market is mainly .NET/Java based. After reading quite about the LAMP/PHP market in Austin, I am very interested in the area.

I have yet to make a visit out there, but will do so probably within the next month. During that visit, what areas would you recommend that I look into for housing if I am working downtown or close to the university? I am looking for a home to rent that is at least 3b/2ba, with a good size yard, built within the last 10-15 years for between $1300-1800 a month.

How are the Crossfit boxes in the area? I have yet to find one that I don't love out in California, but you never know!

I have a dog as well; an Australian Shepherd. How are the summers for dogs with heavier coats? Sacramento can get up over 100 degrees, but I know it doesn't get nearly as humid here as it does in Austin.

Those are my main questions at the moment. I am sure that I will think of more as I start to generate more interest from companies out in that area.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to your responses. If there anything else you think I should know about the area, please feel free to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
You won't have much trouble finding a rental house inside those parameters. Just know that they are setting you up for a 30-40 minute commute each way.

Most will be in the northern suburbs. Since I don't know much about the boxes on that side of town, will have to defer to the folks that do.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Regarding the dog, there are plenty of Aussie Shepherds who do well in Austin. He will do best if kept as an indoor dog. When temps are high (May to October) any yard that a dog is in for any amount of time will need sustained shade and water always available.

August is probably the toughest month for people and dogs. We walk our dog after 9 pm in the summer and temps are usually above 90 degrees.

Heatstroke does happen to dogs in Austin and dogs die. Often the dog shows no signs until they collapse and are near death. Be careful.

Might want to consider professional grooming/furminator at least 1-2 times a year too.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,483 times
How far/long are you willing to commute?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 AM

151 posts, read 238,569 times
You say you want a 3/2-- do you have a family or are you living on your own? Is there any reasons for wanting a home instead of a condo or an apartment? What you want is going to put you really far out and having a terrible commute but if you get a smaller home or decide to do a condo/townhome/apartment you can get more for your money! Also are you worried about schools? Because if not then I would send you out northeast because that is where the prices decline the fastest and you might find something in a lower-income area that fits your criteria but would have worse schools. Though not as safe as Williamson county, even the ghetto of Austin is pretty quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: