Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:26 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times

Advertisements

Car washes is what I wonder about....they're going up on just about every corner in Cedar Park and Round Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Car washes are usually more efficient in water usage then washing the car at home in your driveway. Austin restricted washing at home while allowing commercial car washes to continue for this reason.

Tourism bring millions of dollars into the local economy, so hotels are not likely to be restricted and there already are building codes in place that require they use high efficiency fixtures. In addition, total water consumption in Austin has gone down the last several years, so I don't see the logic in overly restrictive building regulations targeting hotels. We could save far more by eliminating St. Augustine grass.

Water usage in the Colorado watershed has decreased significantly now that the rice farmers have been cut off. And good news, the water level in Lake Travis has increased this spring, more so than the previous two years.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:11 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Stop this senseless waste of water! With our lakes drying up, why are we adding demand on the supply?

Should play well here in the capital of statism. Surprised no college here thought of this as a grant subject.
Considering your ironic "Location" (I never heard any Austinite describe their city this way) I would have thought you would have been pro-free market and anti-Malthusian.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Car washes is what I wonder about....they're going up on just about every corner in Cedar Park and Round Rock.
No kidding - on 620 from RR High School west to its junction with 45, there are two major car washes that have been in operation for several years and two more under construction. Plus there is a middling size car wash on Great Oaks in Brushy Creek.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I never heard any Austinite describe their city this way.
Speaks oceans about the crowd you hang out with. Little self selection going on there?

As far as your other point, guess your web browser doesn't read the sarcasm font.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:21 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Speaks oceans about the crowd you hang out with. Little self selection going on there?

As far as your other point, guess your web browser doesn't read the sarcasm font.
What I was saying is that given the irony/sarcasm of "People's Republic of Austin" your rant at the beginning of this thread makes you look inconsistent at best, and hypocritical at worst.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yes, there is - the water they use appears to cost about $6.00 to $6.50 per 1,000 gallons. Reducing water use saves them money, especially in new construction.
As it does for any user - residential or commercial. But if water shortages justify tiered rates to incentivize desired behaviors among residential users, then why not tiered rates for commercial users -- like hotels -- as well? This would be easy to do. Tell a hotel they get X amount of water for every room, each month. X amount for the square footage of restaurants and bars. Then start tiering the overage just like residential users. Maybe they would decide this app is one solution. Maybe they wouldn't wash your towels every day, even if you throw them on the floor. There are all kinds of ideas I am sure they could discover -- if incentivized to do so. Right now, they aren't.

The water supply issue either is a problem, or it isn't. If it is, then all types of users need to be incentivized for maximum efficiency. Unless the tiered residential rates aren't really about maximizing the allocation of a scarce resource ...

Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
What I was saying is that given the irony/sarcasm of "People's Republic of Austin" your rant at the beginning of this thread makes you look inconsistent at best, and hypocritical at worst.
You need to read some Swift. Especially before making a breathless hyperbolic accusation like that.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM

436 posts, read 570,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The COA has a history of becoming a lot less concerned with the environment when there is money to be made.

There was a time, long ago, when you could bring this city to a halt over a salamander.

These days I think they would wipe out every last crawling critter in the city if they could put up another Condo. Heartbreaking for an old local.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
There was a time, long ago, when you could bring this city to a halt over a salamander.

These days I think they would wipe out every last crawling critter in the city if they could put up another Condo. Heartbreaking for an old local.
You can still bring the city to a halt over a salamander, if it involves something like building or improving a road. But apparently those projects that generate revenue for the city don't disturb the salamanders as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin