Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM

149 posts, read 154,884 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input! I've definitely heard a lot about how "Austin isn't a part of Texas" and things of the like, which does concern me to an extent, but by the same token I grew up in a Catholic household full of gun toaters. While I'm not Christian, I do respect other people's rights and religions and as long as people don't try to force their beliefs down my throat I'm rather content. Living in a neighborhood where we can make friends instead of being glared at is really a priority. It seems the only people we've been able to get close to in Pittsburgh are other people who aren't from Pittsburgh. There's a sort of "elitism" here that I don't understand, and social inequality is rather rampant. Gays only live in gay neighborhoods, hipster or alternative folks are cast to the inner city where crime is high and schools are awful, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM

677 posts, read 652,790 times
A couple of things that expand a bit on what others have said. Tattoos won't make you out of place. However, as far as being liberal? In Austin, and considering this area as a whole you are fine. Austin is awesome, and there isn't anywhere else in the state, and not many other spots in the country I would personally choose to move to. However, Round Rock sits in Williamson County, and Willco, as it is referred to, is an exceptionally conservative voting area. I work for the state, I dealt with educators, judges, attorneys, law enforcement and many other political persons in Willco for several years - extremely conservative overall.

Now I did live in Round Rock for 2+ years and never felt out of place living there; but most of my leisure time is spent more in central Austin, and I have personally moved to north austin now as well. I don't have anything in particular against Round Rock - but don't expect to find liberal views much held in either education, law enforcement or political spheres there.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
A tatooed- multi racial couple is going to get no more or less dirty looks in Round Rock than the North Hills of Pittsburgh, but believe what you want. We aren't talking downtown Austin here.... we are talking Round Rock.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all the help. I didn't really expect this much feedback so quickly! We definitely will be spending most of our free time in the city I would assume, as that is probably where all the action is. But schools aside, one of the things, like I said, is the cost of housing. My wife and I are both educators, and anyone that knows anything about teachers is that it's not a job you go into for the big bucks haha. We really want to live in Austin, after living in the northwest we really need a laid back liberal town, it seems like our dream location. I just fear that two teachers' salaries will not afford us the house in the district we desire in inner city Austin and I'm a bit afraid of "getting what I can afford" when we move there and ultimately being disappointed and somewhat alone like we have been here. (Although staying out of inner city Pittsburgh was not for affordability, but rather crime). I know inside city limits can be pricey and that concerns us.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadinpgh View Post
Thanks for the input! I've definitely heard a lot about how "Austin isn't a part of Texas" and things of the like, which does concern me to an extent, but by the same token I grew up in a Catholic household full of gun toaters. While I'm not Christian, I do respect other people's rights and religions and as long as people don't try to force their beliefs down my throat I'm rather content. Living in a neighborhood where we can make friends instead of being glared at is really a priority. It seems the only people we've been able to get close to in Pittsburgh are other people who aren't from Pittsburgh. There's a sort of "elitism" here that I don't understand, and social inequality is rather rampant. Gays only live in gay neighborhoods, hipster or alternative folks are cast to the inner city where crime is high and schools are awful, etc. etc.
No eliteism in Austin or Texas in general? Gods country?

There is social inequity in Austin, it's just not as obvious for reasons I won't get into. My neighborhood in Round Rock was as white as white could be. Walk to the park in your neighborhood there sometime and really look around.

Hey... I actually like Round Rock and Austin, I wish you the best. The generalizations just bug me.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Also, if I can make another recomendation - consider Pflugerville as well. It's generally as affordable as Round Rock, the schools are pretty decent as well. There is a little more racial diversity here than in Round Rock in my opinion, and you cut the commute time to Austin for events and evenings out a touch. It's also Travis County here, and so gets a little more politically liberal if that matters to you (although congressionally much of Pflugerville is gerrymandered into a district that includes Waco and College Station and thus is solidly conservative).

edited to add - my girlfriend/fiance is also an 8th grade AP science teacher in Pflugerville, and she enjoys the school district here if you are able to get jobs here.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM

65 posts, read 86,818 times
I agree it's better in Wilco and Round Rock, but you still might get looks. It's definitely a liberal town and a lot of us liberals are pushed to the suburbs for exactly the reason you're citing - housing. That said, what is your approximate budget? Do you have jobs in a school district yet? My advice would be to stay west of I-35 and as south toward Austin as money can buy.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Alrighty, so I have some catching up to do already on here. Well first, I'm not sure that there isn't any elitism in Austin, but that is was I'm trying to find out. I didn't mean to offend you, and if you like Pittsburgh then I wouldn't want you to be anywhere than where you want to be. However, what I do know about "Steel City" elitism is that within the first week of moving here I was verbally assaulted, threatened, and asked to leave a coffee shop because I was wearing a chicago cubs shirt. I was also booed and told to go back to Chicago. This all happened before I ever spoke a word or tried to order coffee. Keep in mind I've never lived in Chicago, but I'm the crazy kind of guy that thinks it's ok to like a team other than the pirates, steelers or penguins. Such insults have been rather consistent over the past two years. This was my first taste of Pittsburgh.

But I do also understand social inequity happens everywhere, and it's sad and it sucks. But I wasn't necessarily looking at this from the point of race, but rather if someone goes into an area where they don't "fit the mold" will they feel pressured to leave or do people look past the exterior? Obviously I'm looking for a place with the latter frame of mind and I feel my wife and I are kind people who really just want to get along with their neighbors instead of being scoffed at when we introduce ourselves.

That being said, towards the other two replies. We have heard of Pflugerville and it seems great, just wasn't sure what the differences were, and as far as population size it just seemed I'd get more response with Round Rock, but I value your input and am certainly considering it!

And for the third reply. Right now we have not been hired by a district, but from what I've been told that a Spanish speaking special education teacher with a master's should have no problem locating work in Texas, mostly due to the fast population growth. It's just the opposite in PA where I know teachers with 10 years experience that lost their jobs and can find nothing. From what I gather based on the average starting salary in the area, our budget would be $275,000, but we would like to stick closer to $250,000 or less so we can have some wiggle room. We need at least 3 bedrooms and would like a reasonable yard for our kids and dogs to run and play in when we can't get to the playground or dog park.

The closer to Austin we can get, the happier we will be, considering we can be in a safe clean neighborhood.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM

In that price range you can get great housing options in either Pflugerville or Round Rock. My home now is 3 bedroom, smaller yard, around $130k, and I love where I live, right across the street from a great park. For 200-250k, you can get a pretty damned nice house in this area.

edited to add - feel free to pm me if you like about any specific questions about the area if you like.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Interesting. I don't know what political affiliations my neighbors belong to. Never thought to ask. No one has ever asked me either. I'm pretty certain there are conservatives and liberals in my area. Unless you choose to launch into politics, most people don't know and don't care. You can post whatever sign you'd like in your yard. There are many conservatives in Round Rock, just like there is a sizable liberal population. Round Rock I consider to be moderate. People of both sides can feel comfortable. I'd say a centrist really will feel at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin