Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM

31 posts, read 47,654 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I moved to Austin in October '14 and now looking for a house to buy. What we're looking for:
1) At least 3/2, but don't need a huge house - around 2,000 sq ft is fine (or under)
2) Don't have kids, so school don't matter for now
3) Budget - up to $400K
4) Location - and this is a tricky one - I work Downtown, husband works in Cedar Park. Trying to find a place that would offer a bearable commute for both of us. Right now we're renting downtown so I walk to work and husband drives to CP, but since he does reverse commute it's not bad. We really like Balcones - Spicewood area (well really all of the area west of 183, between 360 and Anderson Mill Rd, as well as Balcones Woods on the other side of 183), but finding something in our price range is tough. Plus our agent said the inventory is historically low and houses sell in 24-72 hours with multiple offers. There are some nice houses in our price range in Steiner Ranch/Lakeway but I've heard my commute would be hell, plus I don't like how far out there Lakeway is. I'd like to be closer to all the amenities.

Wanted to ask if there are other neighborhoods we should be considering? We really like areas with mature trees and lots of shade vs brand new subdivisions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,055,394 times
i would try to get into crestview/wooten. It will be a smaller house but will appreciate a lot. If you get in at 330K you can spend another 70k to add on/remodel.

We have friends that just bought in northwest hills for about 400k but those houses are rare. You should just keep watching the market. Lakewood might also have them.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,365,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestGirl View Post
Hello,

My husband and I moved to Austin in October '14 and now looking for a house to buy. What we're looking for:
1) At least 3/2, but don't need a huge house - around 2,000 sq ft is fine (or under)
3) Budget - up to $400K
4) Location - and this is a tricky one - I work Downtown, husband works in Cedar Park. Trying to find a place that would offer a bearable commute for both of us. Right now we're renting downtown so I walk to work and husband drives to CP, but since he does reverse commute it's not bad. We really like Balcones - Spicewood area (well really all of the area west of 183, between 360 and Anderson Mill Rd, as well as Balcones Woods on the other side of 183), but finding something in our price range is tough. Plus our agent said the inventory is historically low and houses sell in 24-72 hours with multiple offers. There are some nice houses in our price range in Steiner Ranch/Lakeway but I've heard my commute would be hell, plus I don't like how far out there Lakeway is. I'd like to be closer to all the amenities.

Wanted to ask if there are other neighborhoods we should be considering? We really like areas with mature trees and lots of shade vs brand new subdivisions.

Thanks!
I think the problem is, as you said, inventory is really low and what little there is it's priced high. I live in Oak Bluff Estates in RRE, which closely resembles that area of Austin. Here is why I think Oak Bluff would fit your needs: it is a small, hidden neighborhood of custom and semi-custom homes; mature trees (some trees are over 100 yrs old); tree lined streets; still largely within your price range (though prices are rising and the larger homes are over $400k); established neighborhood - it has retained its value over the years; within 10 minutes to the SH-45 toll road, which will easily get your husband to Cedar Park. The commute isn't hell for you, but expect it to be about 45 minutes. I work downtown as well. In fact, I added ten minutes onto my commute, but it was worth it based on the neighborhood and house alone. I guess I'm voting my new hood up because it's this hidden gem that is really an awesome place to live! Inventory is very low (no homes for sale right now) but I think things will change in the summer and spring.

I think it's best to use pictures, so you can get a visual feel of a neighborhood. Here's an example of houses in Oak Bluff:

Our house:

Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,466,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
i would try to get into crestview/wooten. It will be a smaller house but will appreciate a lot. If you get in at 330K you can spend another 70k to add on/remodel.

We have friends that just bought in northwest hills for about 400k but those houses are rare. You should just keep watching the market. Lakewood might also have them.
2/1 1500 ft in Crestview...$350K only listing I pulled up quickly....others are $600K + for anything that's not needing serious work.

I think the better bet is farther north(unfortunately for the downtown commuter)...Milwood, Rattan Creek, area just north of Duval(between Mustang Chase and Cow Path); but the few homes that are reasonable are not even needing to be listed. Balcones Woods was your answer five years ago...you can hit your price IF you can find something for sale! Didn't know the name Mesa Park for one area off Duval...mentioned in another thread:https://neighborhoodguide.wordpress....tin/mesa-park/ Pretty small homes in the price range(allowing for some $ for reno).

Lousy trying to split a 25-mile commute spread(especially to the north of town). Good luck!

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 03-19-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM

1,766 posts, read 940,602 times
What about Scofield Farms which is 78727? The homes are well priced but the commutes may be too long (to downtown at least).

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM

31 posts, read 47,654 times
To be honest I don't like the style of houses in Crestview/Wooten area - all 1 story, boxy, with low ceilings (not trying to offend anyone who lives there, just not my preference). Oak Bluff Estates looks like a beautiful area, but I still feel like it's really far from downtown and my job. For that reason we aren't even considering CP and RR right now. I was told there should be more houses coming up right after Spring Break and in May, so fingers crossed. We did look at one house in Spicewood neighborhood - went to look at it less then 24 hours after it went on the market. Were considering putting an offer after we looked at it, but then it turned out it has been already sold (in less than a day!!). That area is very in-demand so it's definitely a seller's market.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,702,855 times
If you work DT you might try to find something north near a park and ride. The advantage is that between the express bus and metrorail lines a lot of area DT and north towards UT covered.

https://www.capmetro.org/parkandrides.aspx?id=2070

Old 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM

99 posts, read 180,058 times
Quote:
Hello,

3) Budget - up to $400K

Thanks!
Being picky in Austin today simply puts you that much farther behind. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,189,840 times
Quote:
3) Budget - up to $400K
4) Location - and this is a tricky one - I work Downtown, husband works in Cedar Park. Trying to find a place that would offer a bearable commute for both of us. Right now we're renting downtown so I walk to work and husband drives to CP, but since he does reverse commute it's not bad. We really like Balcones - Spicewood area (well really all of the area west of 183, between 360 and Anderson Mill Rd,
I live in this area. Based on your criteria for this area, you're best bet is a original house with no updates (about 35-40 years old), needing an overhaul or the Barrington Oaks pocket.

The first option will require you to offer more than asking and to have the best/most solid offer out of the 4-5 put forth. Any decent homes that are priced right in this area go for well over 400K, w/ multiple offers, over asking, more often than not. But you say schools don't matter yet THAT'S the reason why (the 3 elems, 1 middle and 1 HS) the neighborhood is hot. If that's the case, then just buy in Rattan Creek (schools are above average) and save yourself 100K.

Or buy in Davis or Summit zones near and around Balcones Woods. I'm guessing there's still a good number of homes under 400K.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,177,923 times
From here on in: regardless of what OP lists as their criteria, I'm gonna go with Round Rock. Maybe Circle C once in a while to mix it up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin