Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest differences in Austin today, and Austin of thirty years ago, is the absence of "characters" -- people that were proud to be out of the mainstream, who weren't afraid of a little notoriety. Folks like the mayor of S Austin (and washboard player at Cornell Hurd's regular Thursday gig at Jovita's), Danny Young. Or Molly Ivins, Cactus Pryor, Sam Allred. Madelyn Murray O'Hair, or Gerald Mann, or Harold O'Chester. County Commissioner Ann Richards, to pre-councilman Max Nofzinger.

But nobody -- nobody -- was, or will ever be, in Crazy Carl's class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
You've forgotten to mention Zelma O'Riley, the Indian Princess, aka Bicycle Annie!

Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
There was also Leslie (RIP), a transvestite who would hang out on the streets and was well-known to the locals, because in Austin, such a thing really was considered to be 'weird' at the time - although people like him are a dime a dozen in other cities. I believe he was murdered (he died after some street thugs beat him up and put him in a hospital).

Actually, I always wondered about the characters, and what was it about Austin that brought out the wierdness? And why are people not "weird" anymore, like that? I have a feeling most of these people were well-meaning former LSD users. Once LSD went out of style as a drug, these types of characters seem to have gone away in today's culture.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:14 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Some folks today are trying too hard to be "weird".

Bicycle Annie, Hands, and the newspaper "boy" ("paaypah?") were originals from the pre-druggie hippie era.

Not to mention Miss Hattie, Charlie Partlow, Willie Kocurek, Oscar "The Big O" Snowden, and Harry Akins.

Last edited by ScoPro; 04-04-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 03:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not to mention Miss Hattie, Charlie Partlow, Willie Kocurek, Oscar "The Big O" Snowden, and Harry Akins.
I was going to mention The Big O, as well as Virginia, of S First St's Virginia's. She was irascible (kinda like John Mueller, when he was still in short pants), and would toss you OUT if you complained about how long it took. The fact that we lost her, and replaced it with yet another homogenized, standardized Torchy's, is just a microcosm of what has transpired.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 PM

436 posts, read 570,500 times
Glad somebody remembers Leslie. The weird died with him, or at least caught the Hep from him and is slowly fading.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Yeah I remember leslie too. Although I remember him being popular, it seems he got to a much more celebrity status since I left (and of course, before he died). A real shame to read that he died and so did a part of Austin.

But maybe celebritizing Austin's unique people is part of the problem. Maybe they should be appreciated for what they add to the city without being turned into celebrity cultural icons and symbols of how 'weird' austin is supposed to be. I also vaguely remember some air guitar players on 6th street ('Mixed Nuts' I think?) and I believe they wore Burger King cardboard crowns. then one day a new bar opened and gave them a permanent home in front of the place - complete with neon crowns in the window that they could stand under. From that point it was pretty pathetic and too much like Disneyland to be any fun.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:32 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Leslie was beat up and ended up in the hospital in 2009 but that attack did not kill him. He recovered and then died later in 2012. The assault might have played a role in his eventual death but he was not murdered.
Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to see him often. We always had pleasant conversations.

I am still stung by the death of Jennifer Gale as well.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM

44 posts, read 62,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
There was also Leslie (RIP), a transvestite who would hang out on the streets and was well-known to the locals, because in Austin, such a thing really was considered to be 'weird' at the time - although people like him are a dime a dozen in other cities. I believe he was murdered (he died after some street thugs beat him up and put him in a hospital).

Actually, I always wondered about the characters, and what was it about Austin that brought out the wierdness? And why are people not "weird" anymore, like that? I have a feeling most of these people were well-meaning former LSD users. Once LSD went out of style as a drug, these types of characters seem to have gone away in today's culture.

Bicycle day is 11 days away, help yourself. Literally.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
In my humble observation, I don't think there's an absence of characters so much as the "counter culture" prevalent in Austin just took on enough aspects of said characters that they no longer stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: