Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,030 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from nyc to a Kyle Texas. My husband and I have been there 3 times in 2 years. We have family there but don't want to be a burden on them. Especially we are a family of 4 and they have limited space. I am trying to figure out how to do this. We have never moved out of State before. I don't know if it's feasible or worth trying to get a job before we move or waiting until we get there. Another question is will we be able to rent an apt without jobs? We currently make over 100k. I'm concerned about the decrease in salary & don't know where to start. I was advised most employers do not want to consider out of state applicants because they're looking for stable associates. My children attend middle school and they love Kyle. We just want a change of environment. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Hello

Just wondering if you made the move. We used to live in Kyle (plum creek) and moved to San Francisco before we had kids. Now we have kids and Kyle does not seem boring to us anymore; it's actually the perfect place for our kids instead of SF bay area. We plan to move out there next year and are super excited. Although the pay is less, the cost of living is much less and we will have disposable income compared to California. Super excited! We love HEB!!

Old 09-25-2015, 01:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabster000 View Post
Hello

Just wondering if you made the move. We used to live in Kyle (plum creek) and moved to San Francisco before we had kids. Now we have kids and Kyle does not seem boring to us anymore; it's actually the perfect place for our kids instead of SF bay area. We plan to move out there next year and are super excited. Although the pay is less, the cost of living is much less and we will have disposable income compared to California. Super excited! We love HEB!!
Not a peep from that poster since April

How long have you been gone? I would imagine Kyle has changed quite a bit in the last few years. Hurry every chance you get!

Kyle’s growth marked by crawling traffic | KXAN.com

Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,773,665 times
How do u survive in NYC on 100k?...

Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Easy in southern Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx.

It's Manhattan (below 125th St) where $100k puts you on a budget.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Stay out of coffee shops.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 AM

847 posts, read 764,951 times
I am a bit confused! are your kids already attending school in Kyle?
or are they at school in NYC?

your situation is complicated. we don't know what kind of savings you have.
do you work and your spouse works? or just one of you!
how transferable are your jobs? can you work from home (from kyle or a while?)

because if you are a two person income household it can be a bit easier.

Renting apartment is possible. they will normally just require higher deposit. but why wait? rent the apartment while you still have the job in NYC. but consider getting a house from a private owner instead. because you wont have to worry about your kids jumping up and down and upsetting the apartment neighbors.

you can trick the employers a bit. get an Austin Number. sometimes google voice works OK. but honestly sometimes it does not route well. if you have a family plan at say t-mobile. 10-15 bucks gets you a new line. make it a 512 number.
put it on your resume. put your relative's address. look for jobs in South Austin. change your linked in profile to reflect Austin. once you get the phone screen hurdle with recruiters and then you do the secondary phone screen with hiring manager or one of your future peers. it is likely that will accept you coming down on a Friday or a Monday for an interview. you will just have to plant a week in advance so you ticket price won't be crazy.

you can also do your phone screens. and then just like about your location. but put all the on-site interviews for a week or two weeks from some date. once you have 3-4 interviews lined for that week. fly down stay in Austin for a week. secure the job. say I will start in a week or two. move down the family and there you go! or family can stay in new york and you can fly back and forth to NY once a month. until school year finishes up.

anyway if you don't have huge savings! and cant risk giving up your current job. you will have to lie a bit about your location. get your foot in the door. they are not paying for your relocation (well likely wont).

but if I were you. I would not just concentrate on kyle. I will get a job anywhere in Austin, SanMarcos, Kyle, RoundRocck. I will then rent the house close to that location. your family and you can catch up in the weekends.

alternatively: if you had to live in Kyle but work in roundrock for five-7 bucks a day you can get to round rock in 45 minutes each way. using the 130 toll road.

good luck to you are your family.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Considering that I was born and raised in NYC and know firsthand, most of the population survives on $100k or less. Not everyone lives in Manhattan. It all depends on your tolerance of lack of space and commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin