Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,000 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Austin from Santa Monica, CA in the next few months. We purchased a lot in West Lake Hills and are beginning the process of designing and building a home on it. Since we don't currently live at our new address (and won't for at least the 18 months or so it takes to build), I was told I needed to apply for a transfer into Eanes. I have done so and included documents stating we are building within the district.

My question is this : what are the odds of actually getting in? We haven't found a rental yet and there is not a lot in the area we are looking. If I knew a transfer would be granted, it would open a lot of other areas for renting in the meantime.

I wouldn't be concerned, but my eldest (who's nine) has some minor sensory issues and is incredibly shy and small for his age. He's super bright, but doesn't do change very well. I really don't want to have to change schools. It would be great for him to get into the school that we would be going to if our house was actually finished.

FTR, my husband and I are both native Texans and are excited to back in our home state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:27 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I've known people who have done it, I think it is a bit easier when you have been in the district and are known to them and then for whatever reason you move out of district. It is a money maker for the district so the incentive is for them to accept not deny.

good luck

Old 04-14-2015, 12:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
What elementary are you trying to get into? Some are more crowded than others.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:50 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
I didn't realize that building on a lot you own within the district wouldn't qualify you, but just found the following (which I guess you know already):

The requirements for attending a Texas public school is the child’s residence and that is defined as where they “lay their head at night”. So your property would not qualify you children as Eanes residents. If you would like to apply for your children to attend Eanes as transfer students please complete the transfer application.

My guess is you'd be at the top of the list since you are building within district, but I'd ask the admin offices to be sure. I'd also talk to the principal of the elementary that you'll ultimately be attending and explain the situation. My guess is they would do their best to accommodate you.

Last edited by blakely; 04-14-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 03:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
I thought if you have a lot in the district that you are building on, you shouldn't have any trouble getting in. Have the rules changed on that? After all, you do own within the district and are in the process of building.
It's not their primary residence yet and that's what they go by. Just to be building does not mean you live in the district. They've let a lot of people in when the enrollment is not to capacity, and being in the process of building should help your chances.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
What elementary are you trying to get into? Some are more crowded than others.
Eanes Elementary. Our lot is within their boundaries.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,447 times
We just got a letter from our builder saying the house will be done with in the school year. It took longer to finish the house but the never checked. It may help if you volunteer at the school. My wife did and that may help.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
Okay, I do know that about 3 or 4 years ago some transfer students got moved from Eanes to Forest Trail because Eanes did not have room for them as transfer students. These kids were siblings and had attended Eanes for several years as transfers. They loved really liked going to Eanes but the kids and parents wound up loving FTE. The older kids now attend WRMS and are thriving there. They still have a younger sibling at FTE and the parents are very involved. Now I don't know how the situation is at Eanes now but I have to believe that the fact that you are building in that school's boundaries will help you get your kids into the school. You probably should schedule a meeting with the principal to explain your situation if you have not already done so.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Yes, I think it is probably more difficult to transfer at the elementary level. Everyone I know who has done it was in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: