Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,722 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old professional, single woman, and I'm thinking of moving to Austin for a new job this fall (I have a job offer as an administrator at the university where I'd make about 50K). I grew up and went to college in pretty urban areas of California, and I currently live in a small city in New England that is interesting and beautiful but a little smaller than I'd like. I don't know anyone in Austin, so I'm looking to make friends.

I'm pretty stereotypically sort of the nerdy/intellectual/adventurous type, I love outdoorsy activities (camping, hiking, anything on the water), swing and social dancing, going to hear music and to museums, and exploring for new shops, restaurants, and parks. I like going out to bars/clubs occasionally, but prefer going out during the day and doing an activity, or going social dancing, to going to a club or whatnot late at nights, and I'd want to avoid the college crowd and spend more time with people in their 20's/30's than early/mid 20s. I'm also Jewish (Reformish - I go to Shabbat dinner or social events about once a month, wouldn't need to be within walking distance of a Synagogue or have access to lots of kosher food or anything) and would love to live in a city with a fairly close, knit socially active 20s and 30s Jewish community.

Does Austin sound like a potentially good fit for me? Is it fairly easy to make friends and date? Are there parts of Austin, other than right near the university, that feel relatively urban rather than suburban? Any particular neighborhoods you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
No pretty much the whole city has a suburban feel outside of a dozen blocks downtown, but otherwise, you would be fine!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,567 times
I already had someone to set you up with until you mentioned you were Jewish. That could be the only sticking point in moving here as Jews make up less than 2% of the population. When I was trying to find population numbers, this website came up: New to Austin Jewish Community - Shalom Austin and they have information for young adults. It is probably worth contacting them for their experiences and advice. The Far West area is where a lot of Jewish families live due to the community center there.

Oh, and our museums suck. Other than that you'd fit in fine.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
I think for a single woman from CA/New England, Austin would be a feast upon which to gorge. Plenty of very highly paid but introverted males, easily won over by a woman of the world. There's a Jewish part of town on Far West Blvd, it's even a "Halil" (sp)?, a special designated district, you may feel most comfortable there. The HEB (grocery store) has lots of Kosher foods and a large Jewish deli there.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM

171 posts, read 229,517 times
I'm Jewish, from California and our kids have been involved here in the community. My wife is from California and lived for several years in Boston and Maine. If you would like to talk, feel free to message me. We have a perspective on Austin that is likely more in line with many of the things you're considering.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 AM

484 posts, read 533,452 times
I think my hometown of Washington DC would be a good fit for you. There is a large Jewish population there though I can't speak to how close knit or socially active they are except to say I grew up with lots of Jewish friends and they were social in general with everyone. It is much more urban in its core than Austin is but isn't overwhelming on the scale of say NYC, and has lots of close by outdoor activities, mountains and beach though they are both east coast style and don't quite have the majesty of the west coast. Needless to say, DC is almost a tailor made city for intellectuals and museum lovers just beware some of the people can get really type A - in a climb the bureaucracy type of way, gotta watch your back more at work there than some other cities.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,577 times
There is nothing here that matches up to your description of an urban area. There are a few blocks downtown that are trying, but you wouldn't be able to afford to live there on that salary without significant sacrifices.

The Jewish population of Austin is very small --- there are estimated to be only 18,000 or so Jews here. If you're only interested in dating and marrying within your faith, my single Jewish friends tell me it's like the Hunger Games of dating. It's nothing like major metropolitan areas on the east and west coasts. As others have mentioned, the Northwest Hills area has the largest Jewish population, but it's very upper middle class suburban and family oriented --- pretty much the polar opposite of what it sounds like you're seeking.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 PM

319 posts, read 610,575 times
To be honest, I never found Jewish dating in Boston to be all that plentiful either. There's certainly lots around, I don't know they were just hard to find. The best spots are really NYC and Philly. Other major cities are ok too. I would estimate there's a few hundred Jews actively dating here so you might meet someone. I'd recommend becoming active in YAD. Community isn't great in San Antonio but it's not far away. I've had friends who dated in Dallas or Houston, much bigger communities. The good news is that the city is growing and changing rapidly so at least there's always new faces around, even if there's not a large number at one particular time. True, most are around the JCC but I wouldn't suggest hanging around here to meet young Jews. Go where young people go, downtown or South Austin. Hard to know for sure but there's estimated to be a lot of young Jews in the city who identify but don't seek out others, maybe bringing the pool into the thousands. I've never seen Noah Kagan at the JCC for example. A friend of mine met a nice girl in his apartment complex in El Paso just by chance for example. El Paso. The good news is that unlike the hyper-efficient dating markets of a place like Manhattan, it's not as hard to find someone interested in a long term commitment here. My friends in NYC churn through girlfriends really quickly because you can always find another one in a split second for even the smallest flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin