Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,625 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am in a position where I may need to make a decision soon whether or not to relocate to Austin for work. I've been down on business trips over the years and like the area and all, but I don't feel I have enough experience to really make an informed decision beyond the career part (which is good for my field). I would love to hear input from a former New Englander!

We are outdoors people, and quite frankly are a bit fed up with the long winter season followed by the tick and mosquito season. We also realize we are not getting any younger and battling the snow and ice is only going to get harder. We have 3 young girls, ages ranging from 13 to 7.

Let me ask a few pointed questions... please feel free to provide as much opinion as you want though!

1) We like to tent camp. Will we be able to do that there reasonably in the summer or is it just too hot?
2) On the same note, I read about snakes/spiders, etc. Are these a showstopper for camping and enjoying the outdoors (hiking, fishing, etc)? Being in NE, we don't really think about venomous anything. Seems scary!
3) If I wanted some land (we live on a 5 acre wooded lot now), where should I be looking? The school system needs to be solid and not too much of a drive into the city (<= 1 hour).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post

Let me ask a few pointed questions... please feel free to provide as much opinion as you want though!

1) We like to tent camp. Will we be able to do that there reasonably in the summer or is it just too hot?
2) On the same note, I read about snakes/spiders, etc. Are these a showstopper for camping and enjoying the outdoors (hiking, fishing, etc)? Being in NE, we don't really think about venomous anything. Seems scary!
3) If I wanted some land (we live on a 5 acre wooded lot now), where should I be looking? The school system needs to be solid and not too much of a drive into the city (<= 1 hour).

Thanks in advance!
First off, did you run the Marathon yesterday?

Tent camping is hot in the summer but the trick is to camp near cool springs so you can stay cool. Someplace like Krause Springs for example is one of my favorites. There are a lot of great places less than 4 hours from Austin to go weekend camping.

The bugs and snakes are no better or worse than anywhere. Not a factor.

5 acres depends entirely on your budget, but SW of Austin or NW up near Liberty Hill would be good places to start. But it depends also on your commute. Cheaper land is East of Austin but the topography is different and schools not as good as Dripping Springs, Wimberley, Leander or Liberty Hill schools.

Steve

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Tent camping is hot in the summer but the trick is to camp near cool springs so you can stay cool. Someplace like Krause Springs for example is one of my favorites. There are a lot of great places less than 4 hours from Austin to go weekend camping.
Blanco State Park is one of them. The Guadalupe near the release from Canyon Dam is another. That water is COLD! Good choice is the Lazy L&L Campground. Very do-able here, even in summer.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
Camping is great here, in the spring and fall. Unlike many places north or higher in elevation, the summers in Texas stay warm at night and can make sleeping in a tent kind of miserable. With the exception of the Davis Mts. and Big Bent area. I also like Blanco State Park and was there a couple weeks ago, it was nice. My favorite time to go camping is from late September to Thanksgiving. Staying in a cabin at Bastrop State Park is the way to go for almost any time of year.
Bastrop State Park

Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
It's been awhile since I've been camping, but I used to do so quite a bit - mostly in state parks. I never had any bug/snake issues. I have, however, gotten a tick on me just walking in a rural part of the northeast. So Texas wins on that count for me at least.

Edited to add: You will need to teach your girls that ants are mean, though, and to stay away.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
I have to disagree with Austin-Steve about the bugs; the bug situation is texas is very different from the midwest or east coast.

When you are in the actual town of Austin, you dont really encounter that many bugs etc anymore.

But when you get into the more rural areas, things like fire ants, little gecko-type lizards, scorpions, spiders, and snakes can be very routine. You just have to be cautious and make sure you dont prop up your tent on a fire ant hill or whatever.

But isnt that what is supposed to be fun about camping? To me, I think getting VERY close to nature and learning how to co-exist (or defend yourself) while observing nature is amazing and the "danger" makes it a more fun and enriching experience.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 5,625 times
Thanks everyone!
No, I am not a runner. Usually it's a day here to skip work and go see the Sox, but not this year

Interesting regarding the springs... that is totally foreign to me. So they are cool enough to lower the local ambient? Wow that's really cool, no pun intended.

I'm like Indiana Jones wrt snakes... that may be tough for me tent camping... ? Ha sounds ridiculous but what can I say. We have snakes here of course but nothing to even think about when tromping around. I assume that will need to change.

You know I didn't even think about the non-summer camping potential! That's just not something we do much, if at all around these parts (outside of my Boy Scout days and the occasional BBQ comp). Having the ability to camp outside of the summer months is a great point and just further adds to the allure.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 PM

171 posts, read 229,306 times
Camping near springs, lake, etc. won't lower the ambient temperature that greatly. Camping in the summer months can be challenging but it can also prove a lot of fun with so many places to go. The real allure to the area is that you can camp outside the summer months as well. My wife lived in Boston, MA and S. Portand, ME and enjoys it here much more than both of them.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
Interesting regarding the springs... that is totally foreign to me. So they are cool enough to lower the local ambient? Wow that's really cool, no pun intended.
No, but when you take a dip in 68 degree water, and let it chill your bones until it doesn't feel cold anymore, then get out, the heat feels like it ain't no thang.

Whether it's a placebo effect or not, I don't know, but summer camping with a cool swimming hole or river within walking distance leaves one with no valid complaint about any heat.

Steve

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
No, but when you take a dip in 68 degree water, and let it chill your bones until it doesn't feel cold anymore, then get out, the heat feels like it ain't no thang.

Whether it's a placebo effect or not, I don't know, but summer camping with a cool swimming hole or river within walking distance leaves one with no valid complaint about any heat.

Steve
The key to surviving Texas summers -- even outdoors -- is shade or water. Blanco State Park is right next to a dammed river, with swimming pools effectively created. The Guadalupe near the Canyon Dam outlet, is every bit of 68 degrees. That's why they stock thousands of rainbow trout there every year. You can tube for hours in that water, and never notice the air temp.

It will be different -- but manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: