Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times

Advertisements

Try the Kensington and French Quarter apartments on W. North Loop Blvd. Very close to the hospital, Central Market grocery store (next to the hospital), tons of restaurants, shops, etc. Keep in mind that you are moving to Austin and it is nothing like the stereotypical Texas you are probably imagining. You will not find cowboys there. Wherever you decide to live just make sure it's really close to the hospital cause traffic is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I suggest South Lamar Blvd, around the Broken Spoke. The Broken Spoke - Best Honky Tonk Music in Texas It is an up and coming area. Lots of restaurants around and good access to down town as well as S. Congress, SoCo. Commuting up Lamar Blvd to work at ASH isn't to bad given its a shorter distance. Especially if you have any flexibility on avoiding rush hour traffic.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments indicates numerous 1 bdrm apartments in your price range.

I'm not sure how reliable the listings are on Padmapper but it does indicate a fair number of one bedroom apartments near the ASH.
CptnRn, are you thinking of the Deaf School instead of the hospital? The hospital is next to Central Market on North Lamar.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I second this. I used to live right at Lamar & Barton Springs, I drove Lamar southbound for work in the morning and I would have hated to sit in the northbound traffic. It was usually backed up solid from at least the bridge to Oltorf and this was 4 years ago before the recent construction boom on S. Lamar, I can't imagine what it would be like now.

I was going to suggest my old area or other parts of 78704 but didn't specifically because of the traffic in on Lamar.
It sounds like my experience with driving that route is out of date. I admit it has been a few years. It used to be a lot faster than taking MoPac during rush hour but it sounds like it is just as bad now.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Oh yeah, there are no backroad routes through downtown anymore. Everything is packed at rush hour.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
I am almost loathe to reveal it, but Mopac to 290 to S First is my reliable way to get downtown or back in the peak times.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I am almost loathe to reveal it, but Mopac to 290 to S First is my reliable way to get downtown or back in the peak times.

shhhh! At the peak of morning inbound or outbound in the afternoon, S. First can back up pretty well. But outside of those times (and really I think it is about a 20 minute window of congestion) it is quite useful.

But then, I remember when Lamar was a useful route too and now it is just impossible.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,488 times
Thank you all for your great insight. Is it worth paying more to be in ASH or the triangle given all there seems to be in those neighborhoods or do the less expensive neighborhoods also have distinct personalities with things to do? I want my first introduction to the city to be a great one where I can easily meet people, have access to great bars and restaurants, etc. so if the only way to get that is to pay a little more in rent, than I'd rather do that.

Are there certain areas where the yuppies/preppies tend to congregate, again definitely not a hipster?

Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlittleton View Post
Thank you all for your great insight. Is it worth paying more to be in ASH or the triangle given all there seems to be in those neighborhoods or do the less expensive neighborhoods also have distinct personalities with things to do? I want my first introduction to the city to be a great one where I can easily meet people, have access to great bars and restaurants, etc. so if the only way to get that is to pay a little more in rent, than I'd rather do that.

Are there certain areas where the yuppies/preppies tend to congregate, again definitely not a hipster?
As far as I can think, there really is not a true "yuppie" area of town....Austin is just not that kind of city. There is no "Georgetown" type of neighborhood.

But if you want to be more close to mainstream shopping etc, then maybe the Arboretum area would be good. You would be still close to areas where you could meet people, but you will have to drive those areas (you have to drive almost no matter where you live). Another area would be apartments off of 360.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Another thing to keep in mind, is that Austin is a place where everyone just sort of lives everywhere. There are no specific areas reserved for certain personality types, like there are in other cities. For example, in Chicago, there are neighborhoods for yuppies/former frat sorority people (Lincoln Park), a neighborhood for hipsters (Wicker Park, Pilsen, Logan Square etc), a neighborhood for gays (Boystown), a neighborhood for lesbians (Andersonville) etc.

But in Austin, anyone can live anywhere (although there are some areas where hipsters seem to be consolidating to...which is East Austin).

Triangle does ultimately sound like the best for you though...if for no other reason than the fact it is close to your work.

Triangle/Hyde Park does have a lot of people who work in the medical field living there, as it is close to their work and is very central to the region.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,488 times
Thanks so much SmartGXL! Austin is clearly a different city than DC

Is the "triangle" a neighborhood? Or is it just an apartment complex? I'm having a really hard time finding anything in a "triangle neighborhood"

Again, THANK YOU for your insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin