Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Obviously, you are struggling with this. I've lived all over this country, and even outside it. In almost every quadrant except the far NE and NW, and I will tell you the solution is between your ears.

To move anyplace, and constantly compare it to a place you left is a recipe for madness. It is almost guaranteed that it will not be like where you left. The secret is to find what you enjoy that is different where you are. No one can begin to tell you what you could enjoy here. It could be loving high school football games - it could be to eat in every out of the way barbecue place in the state. It could be attending every festival in the state, from Fiesta in SA, to the Chilispiel in Flatonia or Wurstfest in New Braunfels. Certainly there are enough just here in Austin to keep one busy for a while.

Texans are active people - we don't sit and stare at the beautiful mountains we don't have, but we get in inner tubes and float down our rivers to cool off in the summer. We sure enjoy the incomparable beauty of the wildflowers on the Willow City Loop. We drive to Marathon and Marfa, and stay in the lodge at Fort Davis so we can take our kids to the Star Party at the MacDonald Observatory, then finish it off with a swim in the spring fed pool at Balmorrea.

It all comes down to how you approach it. It it with an excitement for discovery, or a dread of loss? Focus on what you gain, like a lower total tax burden, much more house for your money, and more time with your family because you aren't stuck on a freeway. Then find something you love, enjoy it and you will do great. Constantly remind yourself of what you don't have and you will be miserable. If you don't think you can do that, for heaven's sake don't come here.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 AM

115 posts, read 230,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Why Steiner ranch? You've likely got budget to live much closer. There's really nice teardowns in urban areas with good to great schools.
Steiner seems to have the best mix for us in terms of community, schools, the golf club is right there. We are debating between a new build in the back of Steiner (brand new big house vs. getting in and out of Steiner every day could get old really fast) vs. finding something near the golf course and remodeling the inside if needed.

The big thing for Steiner is schools. I've looked at Lakeway and based on research and talking to some friends who live there, the middle/high schools are not as good as Steiner/Vandergrift. please, please, PLEASE, tell me if this is totally inaccurate!!!!

Where else should we be looking if not Steiner? Family/community (we have 2 small kids and we'd need to make friends pretty quickly). Are there pockets in Lakeway that feed into really good schools? (again, based on rankings and what I've heard from people, Lake Travis HS is ok, not great...true?)

Budget would be in the 800's.

Hit me with it!! Where else should we be looking?!?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Obviously, you are struggling with this.
You couldn't be more right!!! This decision has consumed my wife and I for years and we're TOTALLY putting too much pressure on it. We've been looking at Austin for about 4 years - there was a job opening, then not, then another job opening, then not, and it's been this back and forth. Then we looked at other cities (Seattle, San Diego, Raleigh), then Austin opened up again. It's a big tease

For context, my wife and were both born/raised in the bay area so uprooting and taking our kids with us is a big deal for us. our friends, families, everything we know is here. But at the same time, the things you mentioned (taxes, freeway traffic, cost of living, house, actually having money, general quality of life) is why we've always wanted to move out. it's a big deal if you've been rooted in 1 spot for 35 years.

I'm trying not to focus on the negatives (tho this IS the thread), but it's things I need to know before moving. There are millions of positive reasons to move. They greatly outweigh the cons after all of my 4 years of research! basically what I'm hearing is that it's hot and traffic sucks....deal with it. there are millions of amazing things about it.

But it would be horrible if I didn't know any of the cons. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into! Wouldn't it be horrible if we move to Austin and didn't know that it gets hot.......ok bad example, but you see what I'm saying!

Thanks for the response - we're looking for the absolutely perfect place. this place has the schools, that place is too secluded, this place doesnt have the home builder we like, that place is the bad traffic spot. and round and around we go. it's nice to hear someone say 'dude, shut up, it's fine'! thank you

Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
But I think the guy will be OK...he "knows not what he says" now,.
SO true! I don't know what I don't know. I didnt mean to be offensive, but I knew I would strike a chord and get some good, honest responses with my post. it was a bit on purpose.

But keep in mind, I'm from California. This means I'm better than you and everything I say and do is better than you and you're wrong. Why? Because I'm from Ca and I know more than you. California is the best, the rest of the universe is crap. :

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Steiner seems to have the best mix for us in terms of community, schools, the golf club is right there. We are debating between a new build in the back of Steiner (brand new big house vs. getting in and out of Steiner every day could get old really fast) vs. finding something near the golf course and remodeling the inside if needed.

The big thing for Steiner is schools. I've looked at Lakeway and based on research and talking to some friends who live there, the middle/high schools are not as good as Steiner/Vandergrift. please, please, PLEASE, tell me if this is totally inaccurate!!!!

Where else should we be looking if not Steiner? Family/community (we have 2 small kids and we'd need to make friends pretty quickly). Are there pockets in Lakeway that feed into really good schools? (again, based on rankings and what I've heard from people, Lake Travis HS is ok, not great...true?)

Lake Travis High School is superior to Vandegrift in most aspects, including high school football, tradition, parent involvement, etc... This is from someone living in Steiner. Elementary and Middle Schools are excellent in Steiner however. I'm thinking of leaving once the kiddo gets high school age.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:15 AM

147 posts, read 212,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post

Man. If this is the info driving your decision making, you need to erase and start over.

Where is your job? Is it an actual job offer, or imaginary?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
pfff, most people would never put Vandergrift at the top of a list of high quality schools! It is a fine school but yes Lake Travis HS (which is going to get crazy big), Westwood, Westlake HS (you have the budget for it), and Anderson would generally be ahead of Vandy. In AISD (Anderson) you would also gain the option of LASA one of the best high schools in the country.

I CANNOT imagine the horror of driving from the back of Steiner to downtown everyday! You are re-creating the same 1.5 hour commute that you have now! Stop the insanity, look closer in. Or just stay where you are. If you have young kids and your extended family is nearby, that is a priceless asset.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:00 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Don't forget the allergies! For some, paging Idlewilde, they can be debilitating. Austin has seasonal allergies 12 months of the year! With terrible peaks of cedar Nov-Feb, plus fall and spring trees and grasses and mold everyday.

Austin is fine but it is terribly oversold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The fact is that unless you are going to Hawaii, the Florida Panhandle, or the Caribbean, the beaches are not perfect.

I honestly think TX beaches hold a candle to California. CA beaches are cold, at least I can comfortably stay in the Gulf for long periods. And don't say they're cleaner, like I said my son got a tarball at a CA beach last year.
Agree with both of these.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stei...1430121600!3e0

Worst case is 55 minutes, says Google.
Google is wrong. It can take 55 minutes just to get to 360 sometimes. If there's an accident, it can take 2 hours. Like I said, I live in Steiner Ranch and love it. But there is no way I'd live here if I worked downtown.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,928 times
Your budget is $800,000 and you are looking in Steiner. Seriously? Dude, the world is your oyster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin