Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to The Raleigh NC area from the Midwest about 4 years ago. I had just graduated from nursing school and we were both looking forward to moving to a warmer climate where tennis was a popular sport. I have to say I am miserable here and am strongly considering a move and am even looking at a few nursing positions in Austin. The people in this area are not at all friendly and I play less tennis now than I did when we lived in the Midwest.

I would like to know how the people are in Texas. Are they friendly and welcoming? I honestly thought it would be different here. I am a very social person and thrive on friendships, but none of the people my husband and I have met, both inside and outside, the tennis community are interested in friendship.

My husband is a mechanical engineer and would also need to find a job prior to our move.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
In general, Texas people are friendly. Since you are naturally very social, it is probably a good idea to move someplace where there alot of people doing things outdoors. Do you have price range for a home or rent?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreen74 View Post
My husband and I moved to The Raleigh NC area from the Midwest about 4 years ago. I had just graduated from nursing school and we were both looking forward to moving to a warmer climate where tennis was a popular sport. I have to say I am miserable here and am strongly considering a move and am even looking at a few nursing positions in Austin. The people in this area are not at all friendly and I play less tennis now than I did when we lived in the Midwest.

I would like to know how the people are in Texas. Are they friendly and welcoming? I honestly thought it would be different here. I am a very social person and thrive on friendships, but none of the people my husband and I have met, both inside and outside, the tennis community are interested in friendship.

My husband is a mechanical engineer and would also need to find a job prior to our move.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Why Austin? Why not Houston (or Dallas) given your husband's background?

I can provide info on Tennis once you decide on a location.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:40 PM

198 posts, read 397,704 times
You're planning to move to a different state because you haven't made any friends yet? Just because Texas is "friendly" doesn't mean everyone will want to be your next BFF.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:54 PM

41 posts, read 49,169 times
I find people in Austin, TX to be very friendly. With that said, make sure you move to the right area of Austin, because all areas attract different types of people. My husband and I are late 20's/early 30's with no kids, and we lived in a condo of South Congress. Our neighbors were our friends and helped us with our dog. I have always found community at any part of Austin I have lived. If you want a suburb life you might consider Northwest Austin, Cedar Park, or even Steiner Ranch or Lakeway depending on your budget, but keep in mind, commuting in Austin is horrible, so you should considering living close to where you and your husband plan to work.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
Sure Texans are friendly, but I'd say the same about folks in Raleigh. Raleigh has a more Southern vibe versus Texan/Southwestern but it seems a bit of a nebulous thing to up and move over.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
DON'T MOVE TO AUSTIN!!!! all the people who are moving here are ruining our community! the traffic is horrid, and texas is beginning to run out of water due to the added strain. When people find out how recently you moved here, they will resent you so much. There is a huge movement to limit the number of people who can move here or to instate an added tax to new residents to discourage the 135 NEW RESIDENTS EVERY DAY. Please please please please please stay in NC

Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz707 View Post
DON'T MOVE TO AUSTIN!!!! all the people who are moving here are ruining our community! the traffic is horrid, and texas is beginning to run out of water due to the added strain. When people find out how recently you moved here, they will resent you so much. There is a huge movement to limit the number of people who can move here or to instate an added tax to new residents to discourage the 135 NEW RESIDENTS EVERY DAY. Please please please please please stay in NC
Dude...

Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times
TO the OP - have you tried using Meetup groups?

Meetup dot com is a website a lot of us here on this forum recommend to people when they are trying to meet new people after moving to a new area.

Try using Meetup to meet people in your area who have similar interests or hobbies as you; I would stay there in NC and try to network using that site and you should be able to meet people there who share your interests.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 AM

416 posts, read 588,644 times
I'd give my right arm to move to NC... Greensboro rather than Raleigh, but if the right situation came up, I'd be all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin