Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:18 PM

45 posts, read 55,627 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for some advice, because its my first time using this kind of service.

A week or so ago I came to Austin and looked at prospective properties with an apartment locator.

One of the properties was about $150 - $200 more per month than I said was my absolute highest (after all the fees and everything).

One of the properties was perfect.

One of the properties was like a 20 minute drive south of where I was looking to rent.

I went ahead and tried to rent at the second property, was told the apartment was taken and then informed by management that the management knew a renter who was trying to sublease and put me into contact with them. I am going to sublease from this complex.

Now, I didn't know that the apartment locator won't get paid for this at the time, but still, he showed me only one property that was even within my limits.

He is emailing me a lot, calling me. He called the other apartments and asked if I put in applications. He called this apartment complex and is asking about whether or not I applied to an apartment and they informed him I am doing the sublet. Furthermore, he is telling me they stole me and he is raging at their management, etc.

What should I do? What are my rights? Should I be worried about not getting the apartment? I already passed the application process.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,015,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninWA View Post
I am just looking for some advice, because its my first time using this kind of service.

A week or so ago I came to Austin and looked at prospective properties with an apartment locator.

One of the properties was about $150 - $200 more per month than I said was my absolute highest (after all the fees and everything).

One of the properties was perfect.

One of the properties was like a 20 minute drive south of where I was looking to rent.

I went ahead and tried to rent at the second property, was told the apartment was taken and then informed by management that the management knew a renter who was trying to sublease and put me into contact with them. I am going to sublease from this complex.

Now, I didn't know that the apartment locator won't get paid for this at the time, but still, he showed me only one property that was even within my limits.

He is emailing me a lot, calling me. He called the other apartments and asked if I put in applications. He called this apartment complex and is asking about whether or not I applied to an apartment and they informed him I am doing the sublet. Furthermore, he is telling me they stole me and he is raging at their management, etc.

What should I do? What are my rights? Should I be worried about not getting the apartment? I already passed the application process.

Thanks
You should call the owner/broker of the locating company, explain what happen, and let him/her know that you expect this to be handled between them and the apartment, and that you don't want to be badgered because of any inefficiencies/imperfections with the lease locating business and its relationships and protocols with apartment complexes that work with them.

You can look the Broker up here:
https://www.trec.state.tx.us/

The comparison would be if two Realtors had a beef over a sales commission, which does happen from time to time when it's not clear who was "procuring cause". The buyer and seller would/should not be dragged into that. It's a B2B beef, not something the consumer should be exposed to or involved with except only to state or testify as to what happened from their perspective.

If it's an experienced locator Broker, this is nothing new and he/she will know how to handle it. If you in fact signed a Tenant Representation agreement with the agent to pay them unless they get a commission from the complex, then you could in fact be open to owing a fee. I doubt a locator had you sign that though.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin