Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,064,835 times

Advertisements

You will have to be patient and persistent, however. Good friendships take time to grow. Without the benefit of a shared or even known history, they will be a little harder to develop, I imagine. But it can be done. Having moved here almost 5 years ago (and being in your age range) I have developed some friends. But those folks we left behind whom we had known and who had known us for 25 years, through work, raising kids, years of volunteering, etc. - they are hard to replace. Make sure you are ready to leave your community before you do this. The new community you develop may be great, but it will not be the same as the one you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,943,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
yes they do.

You forgot to account for HOW those rates get applied. When you take that into account the monies actually charged range rather widely. (if you still think you are correct I suggest you research before mouthing off)

It would take you but a moment to look it up and learn how it works...
You don't live here. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Austin is among the top 10 best cities to retire, according to a Bankrate.com survey out today. //www.city-data.com/forum/39938521-post71.html

Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Austin is among the top 10 best cities to retire, according to a Bankrate.com survey out today. //www.city-data.com/forum/39938521-post71.html
And their figures are completely whack. For instance:

Monthly rent in Austin runs around $1,037, which is more expensive than the national average of $919. But that's still cheaper than Houston

But of course the national media needs to keep the hype alive.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
And their figures are completely whack. For instance:

Monthly rent in Austin runs around $1,037, which is more expensive than the national average of $919. But that's still cheaper than Houston

But of course the national media needs to keep the hype alive.
The study says it is based on "Sources: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; Healthways; the Council for Community and Economic Research; the FBI; the Tax Foundation; the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; WalkScore.com".

They do not say how large of an apartment they are talking about, but it appears reasonable for a one bedroom apartment. My own checking on rent prices produced this for April:

April, 2015 Average price for a one bedroom in Austin $1,020. Houston $1,000.
https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...price-monitor/

Old 06-08-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The study says it is based on "Sources: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; Healthways; the Council for Community and Economic Research; the FBI; the Tax Foundation; the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; WalkScore.com".

They do not say how large of an apartment they are talking about, but it appears reasonable for a one bedroom apartment. My own checking on rent prices produced this for April:

April, 2015 Average price for a one bedroom in Austin $1,020. Houston $1,000.
https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...price-monitor/
Which still isn't cheaper than Houston as the article claims.

Additionally, that $1037 will get you a one bedroom apartment away from all the fabulousity it claims makes Austin oh-so-awesome to retire in.

That's one of the problems with looking at quantitative data when qualitative data is needed to assess an area, especially one that's rapidly changing.

And it doesn't even touch on the high price of buying and maintaining a residence, low services for that population, medical care issues, population highly skewed towards youth etc. etc.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM

230 posts, read 542,292 times
Sun City is in Georgetown but fits the bill.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,243,265 times
Quote:
Additionally, that $1037 will get you a one bedroom apartment away from all the fabulousity it claims makes Austin oh-so-awesome to retire in.
If I get to retirement and have to rent something, and it is only a 1 BR apartment, I'm not coming to Austin. If one is that close to the edge, this is the last place to be.

I'd go to Panama or Belize if I was that broke. Any place but here.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Which still isn't cheaper than Houston as the article claims.

That's one of the problems with looking at quantitative data when qualitative data is needed to assess an area, especially one that's rapidly changing.

And it doesn't even touch on the high price of buying and maintaining a residence, low services for that population, medical care issues, population highly skewed towards youth etc. etc.
What fabulousity do they claim that would not be available to anyone living in Austin?

Here is what the article actually said,which I quoted earlier:

Quote:
Sure, summers can be muggy in Austin, but the city makes up for that with plenty of outdoor escapes, including miles of trails, bike paths and parks.
Texas residents also benefit from the absence of a state personal income tax, and the overall state and local tax burden is the fourth-lowest in the country, according to the Tax Foundation. Healthways also gives seniors in the Austin area high well-being scores, which usually means residents are relatively happy and satisfied with their surroundings.
And you're in luck if you're planning to host a barbecue: A T-bone steak costs $9.82, below the national average of $10.40.
All of that is available to anyone living in any part of the City.

The "high price of buying and maintaining a residence" is in reality much higher in many other parts of the country. But the article was actually talking about renting. Which is again a lower cost than many other parts of the country. But again many retiree's who are looking to move are not necessarily poor. Most of them have done a better job of planning for their retirement than subsequent generations are doing.

"Low services for that population": What low services would that be? I'm retired here and do not find that I lack for anything. If anything Austin offers so much more in the way of free entertainment and essential services than most other places I have considered as a possible place to relocate.

"Medical care issues": Austin has excellent medical care available, I can't imagine what you are talking about here. If anything, Austin will probably continue to have great medical services here for retired people. If anything, having a lower percentage of boomers going into retirement age could be a benefit as the medical and support systems are not as likely to get overwhelmed by the numbers.

"Population highly skewed towards youth": I don't see how that is a problem for the elderly. What makes you think that older adults don't enjoy most of the same things that youth enjoys? If anything there are lots more choices for things to do for retired people here, and they have the time to enjoy them. I am retired and I had a great time going to the last free Blues on the Green with 3 other friends. As I did dancing in the rain at the Memorial Day party out at the yacht club. I enjoy sailing in the free beer can races and am looking for another (my fourth) sailboat so I can once again spend weekends anchored out on Lake Travis. I enjoy riding my bicycle thru the numerous greenbelt hike and bike trails around my neighborhood. There are numerous festivals, concerts and gatherings in Austin that I can participate in as well of MeetUp groups for almost any interest one can imagine.

Speaking as a retired person who is living a great life here, I think you are just making this stuff up and don't really have clue what you are taking about.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:13 PM

496 posts, read 566,127 times
I am also retired and find Austin a very good place to live. We downsized when we moved here and our property taxes are within our budget. I also like having young people around....hence I did not want to locate to Sun City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin