Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I totally disagree with the idea that people age 60+ have all the friends they need and aren't looking for more. I work with people in that age range and some of them are very open to making new connections via shared interests.
I would never try to talk you out of your second hand opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,222 times
Default Thank You.

Thanks very much to you all for taking time to reply. Your responses were realistic and helpful, and we appreciate this. You gave us much food for thought.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
maybe Villa Serena or Summerwood in Highland Hills/Far West. I believe they are condos or townhoimes but all or most have their own yards. About Us

Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
I think SW Austin fits a lot of what you want. This is because is at the point in its "neighborhood life cycle" that it has empty-nesters as well as young families and retirees as well.

I live in Western Oaks. My 18 year old daughter, heading to college in August, babysits for a family across the street with 2 kids under 5. Our neighbors on one side are older than my wife and me and are grandparents. Family on the other side has a teenager. Everything you need is nearby and you can buy an older 1990s/2000s 1-story still for under $300K.

My retired mom in her 70s live a few blocks from me and volunteers for the Drive A Senior program and only takes the rides near her in the neighborhood, so because of that I know there are a lot of "Seniors" living in the area.

Also, the South Austin Senior Activity Center at Manchaca Rd. and Ben White/Hwy 71 has a lot of group activities, planned excursions, and a $1 lunch (not the greatest lunch, but hey, it's a dollar). A bunch of the ladies play MarJon(?). i don't know about Bridge. You would meet lots of new friends there at all stages of "older", but mostly 60s/70s according to my Mom.

Then there is the Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center nearby with a lot of volunteer opportunities, which is also a way to meet others.

Yes, there is a lot of discontent about the rapid rise in the cost of living and the congestion in Austin. Myself included. I don't like it. I've been here since 1985. And I'm not sure we'll retire here either, but I certainly wouldn't tell someone else to rule it out. Everyone has their own budget and, in the end, if Austin provides the lifestyle, climate and amenities you want for within your budget, it's a good candidate city to consider.

Finally, I disagree with renting first. I recommend doing that in some circumstances, but you should do so only if you're ok with paying 10% more for the same house the following year. And then you have to move twice. If you know you can tough it out for at least a few years even if you don't like it, buying is a good choice because of the current interest rates (though hopefully you're paying cash) and the direction of prices currently.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 05-04-2015 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-04-2015, 01:46 PM

300 posts, read 414,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalebert View Post
Thanks very much to you all for taking time to reply. Your responses were realistic and helpful, and we appreciate this. You gave us much food for thought.
We have been in Austin for more than 30 years. The property tax is too high in Austin area for retiree. We are considering to be retired at San Diego or Seattle. Unless you have very high after retirement income, otherwise, the net cost of living would be lower in Seattle or San Diego even if the property price in Seattle and San Diego is higher. Check downtown San Diego, the price of high rise condo is comparable to the price at downtown Austin. But you pay 1/2 of the property tax there.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Actually, it's a major factor when one retires and doesn't have a work income to draw on. Those in states with state income taxes have no comprehension how oppressive the property taxes are here when one retires since those are designed to take the place of state income tax. Trouble is, state income taxes go away when you stop having income. Property taxes do not.

It would seem that Austin /TX is taking tax at both ends. A high sales tax of 8.250% along with high property taxes too.

but you are over stating the property taxes ... I quick check of homes around Austin TX, shows property taxes for a $450,000 home vary from $7,000- $10,500 with the most closer to $8,000.

That means you are OVER stating the taxes by a full 50%! $8000 plus 50% =$12,000.....

For someone retiring up to $10,000 a year might be a lot, but it might be well within their range too.

(for context I am from WA we pay 9.9% sales tax but for a $450,000 home we pay about 3,5K - 4K...... a lot less, I am not sure why....)

Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Property tax in Austin proper is about 2.4% of appraised value, before homestead deductions, so $10,800 tops. But add HOA fee if in an HOA neighborhood, avg $360/mo additional. Insurance is usually 0.5% of market value +/-, but close enough for guestimating cost of living.

But gas, groceries, dining are all cheaper than many other areas even with 8.25% sales tax. And no income tax. So a retiree has to factor in everything into the Total Cost of Living equation.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It would seem that Austin /TX is taking tax at both ends. A high sales tax of 8.250% along with high property taxes too.

but you are over stating the property taxes ... I quick check of homes around Austin TX, shows property taxes for a $450,000 home vary from $7,000- $10,500 with the most closer to $8,000.

That means you are OVER stating the taxes by a full 50%! $8000 plus 50% =$12,000.....

For someone retiring up to $10,000 a year might be a lot, but it might be well within their range too.

(for context I am from WA we pay 9.9% sales tax but for a $450,000 home we pay about 3,5K - 4K...... a lot less, I am not sure why....)
Property taxes in the city don't "vary." They are currently at 2.4% in the radius the OP said she desired in her initial post. Appraised values are climbing at unpredictable rates via TCAD voodoo and in the case of many central city homes, even exceeding the actual market value. Perhaps you should live in Austin and be a paying "customer" of TCAD before you post incorrect information.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Property taxes in the city don't "vary." They are currently at 2.4% in the radius the OP said she desired in her initial post. Appraised values are climbing at unpredictable rates via TCAD voodoo and in the case of many central city homes, even exceeding the actual market value. Perhaps you should live in Austin and be a paying "customer" of TCAD before you post incorrect information.

yes they do.

You forgot to account for HOW those rates get applied. When you take that into account the monies actually charged range rather widely. (if you still think you are correct I suggest you research before mouthing off)

It would take you but a moment to look it up and learn how it works...

Old 05-04-2015, 10:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I totally disagree with the idea that people age 60+ have all the friends they need and aren't looking for more. I work with people in that age range and some of them are very open to making new connections via shared interests.
As someone who is 60+ with many friends who are also in that age range (and many friends who are in other age ranges, come to that), I have to agree with Topaz. Some people 60+ have all the friends they need; some (quite a few) are looking for new friends in all age ranges all the time. Just like some people 20+ have all the friends they need and some are looking for new friends all the time.

This, scm53, is a first hand opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin