Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

They hung the crosswalk signs yesterday (not sure how in that weather), so they are getting incrementally closer. If they have any paving to do at all, it might not be until after this rain stops for a day or so. I have not examined the whole layout, though, and all the paving/painting may be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 AM

Okay, I am guessing that they will continue with this intersection now that the rain has apparently stopped for a while. I do have a question, though, for people that use the 71/290 split a bit further west (and which appears to be finished):

I occasionally travel east-bound on 71 to toward the intersection and then head west-bound on 290. This takes me through the new stoplight as I 'merge' onto 290 heading toward Convict Hill. This light is canted about 30 degrees to the flow of traffic until you are right at the light (and the road curves and is then perpendicular to the light). The problem I have is that the color of the stoplight is not visible until I am right at the light and no longer at an angle to it. Often, traffic is backed up on 71 heading into town, preventing many cars from turning right like I am, and there just isn't that many going that way anyway. In any case, I have to essentially treat it as a stop sign since I can't determine if the light is red or green until I am right up to it. If there is a stream of cars, I have an idea, but they all have to slow down, as well.

Anyway, that is just a minor nuisance due to the light traffic following that exact path; however, that will be a royal PITA going from north-bound Wm Cannon to east-bound 290 during rush hour. It will potentially significantly reduce the total number of cars able to go through per light change, or eventually lead to an accident.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Let's wait until the Wm Cannon intersection opens and make a judgment then.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
I guess if traffic is worse, and God forbid if there are accidents where people get hurt - then - I have a feeling the City of Austin will not take any responsibility for messing things up.

At the very least, I think all I'm hoping for is that this doesn't actually make traffic worse. There is no way that this will improve traffic. No way.

They should have build bridges and underpasses, like a true highway.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
They should have build bridges and underpasses, like a true highway.
That's what TxDOT wanted to do, but the citizens of Oak Hill didn't want it. The citizens of Oak Hill have made their bed, now it's time to lie in it.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
but the citizens of Oak Hill didn't want it.
A few voices in Oak Hill, mainly supported by the city-wide 'if you don't build it, they won't come' group.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Yep, they are stuck with the air pollution & traffic jams for sure now.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I was at the Y in OakHill this weekend and didn't notice any roundabouts.
FWIW - after traveling all over Europe, I think roundabouts are awesome. I was saying America needs to get on board with these things.
Reread the post. It's not a roundabout.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
A few voices in Oak Hill, mainly supported by the city-wide 'if you don't build it, they won't come' group.
They could have been against it as a stop-gap, half-assed measure. That's why we on 360 were against the Michigan-left intersections. We wanted overpasses or underpasses to eliminate at least 2 lights, and direct connectors at the freeway intersections at Mopac.

But to get back to the "continuous flow intersection" at the Y.. bottom line, there should not be a light at William Cannon and 71, and there should be direct connectors at 71 & 290. I don't know if it's another TXDot "we don't have the money" thing or environmentalists, or a little of both. But in Dallas, they wouldn't even think twice about it -- they'd never throw a cheap band-aid on the problem.

Not that I'd want Austin to be like Dallas... not interested in tons of new roads. Just get rid of some of the lights on the highways, and finish the connecting ramps, and I'd be pretty happy.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
I got excited at first since I thought this posting was about a bottomless drink special at a downtown bar... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin