Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yep, improve it one place and it just kicks the bucket down the road to the next bottleneck.
Yeah, and for me, it moved it from 'upstream' to 'downstream' in my daily commute .

OTOH, I realize that the traffic getting through that intersection doesn't all go to one place, so it probably really does add a beneficial piece to the overall traffic situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:01 PM

269 posts, read 428,151 times
Eh, the flyover onto N. MoPac hasn't been bad for me at all since the CFI opened. My commute during rush hour is a breeze now. The only time the flyover has been backed up has when there has been a stalled car or accident on MoPac, and that isn't out of the ordinary.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 45,078 times
Default Wow -- what a surprise! (NOT!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
I went through it this morning. No change. Still a ton of backed up traffic. 290 eastbound and 71 eastbound at the Y still had bumper to bumper traffic. What a waste.
Gosh -- thanks for another "improvement", TXDoT!

Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I was coming back from break about 9:30 at night heading east on 290. I found the entire set-up so confusing I couldn't find the left turn lane onto west bound Wm. Cannon. I had to go to the Shell Circle K convenience store to turn around and head back turn right on to Wm Cannon. It caused me to be nearly late getting back to work.

I'm going out there tomorrow and try that turn again from east bound 290 on to west bound Wm Cannon. I'm sure there's a way to do it without having to make a u turn, or whatever.

I don't know who designed that intersection but I never seen an inersection that is so confusing, I don't see how the state can possibly deem it safe for the general public. Were they trying to be creative and artful? Is this a new trend that highway intersections are heading thru out the country, or is this just Austin being weird?

I'm sure once I get use to it I will like it alright, but I can't help but wonder how newcomers and out of towers will handle that conglomerated mess of a highway.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM

288 posts, read 811,604 times
They should've just waited until they had the $ to build an overpass, which is what's actually needed. What a waste of money for something that'll probably be replaced in a few years anyway.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
They should've just waited until they had the $ to build an overpass, which is what's actually needed. What a waste of money for something that'll probably be replaced in a few years anyway.
I don't believe this was ever supposed to be considered a "permanent" fix but just a band aid on a gun shot wound. However I must say that being that I have to take the bus from the Oak Hill Park and Ride and living just an half mile north of it the new configuration.It has made my left hand turn into the lot a heck of a lot safer and easier for me. Probably be at least another 5-7 years to they will work out a more long term solution imo

Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 AM

269 posts, read 428,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I was coming back from break about 9:30 at night heading east on 290. I found the entire set-up so confusing I couldn't find the left turn lane onto west bound Wm. Cannon. I had to go to the Shell Circle K convenience store to turn around and head back turn right on to Wm Cannon. It caused me to be nearly late getting back to work.

I'm going out there tomorrow and try that turn again from east bound 290 on to west bound Wm Cannon. I'm sure there's a way to do it without having to make a u turn, or whatever.

I don't know who designed that intersection but I never seen an inersection that is so confusing, I don't see how the state can possibly deem it safe for the general public. Were they trying to be creative and artful? Is this a new trend that highway intersections are heading thru out the country, or is this just Austin being weird?

I'm sure once I get use to it I will like it alright, but I can't help but wonder how newcomers and out of towers will handle that conglomerated mess of a highway.
Its really easy to figure out. Maybe because it was at night and construction crews are out from 8pm to 5am this week that you missed the signs.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Saw the first wreck at the Wm Cannon/290 intersection this morning - looks like a truck heading east through the intersection failed to stop in time at the next light (the one for left turn from west-bound 290 into the 'queue' for the south bound Wm Cannon left turn light). Did not see it happen, so not sure what caused it, but judging by the front-end damage, it just looks like a rear-ender into a stationary vehicle. Does not really look to be caused by confusion at the intersection so much as not paying attention to the traffic in front of you.....

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
I don't believe this was ever supposed to be considered a "permanent" fix but just a band aid on a gun shot wound. However I must say that being that I have to take the bus from the Oak Hill Park and Ride and living just an half mile north of it the new configuration.It has made my left hand turn into the lot a heck of a lot safer and easier for me. Probably be at least another 5-7 years to they will work out a more long term solution imo
Glad to hear it is starting to benefit some people.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

What has happened is that Austin doesn't have the money and most highway projects in the Hill Country or the Barton Creek Watershed have been blocked. So, TxDoT has been researching other ways around this. These new intersections will become more of the norm in the next few years.

There is a "superstreet" already in place east of the airport on 71. Basically no left turns, only Michigan Left Turns.

There is another CFI planned for Parmer/1431. There is a diverging diamond intersection planned for 1431/I-35.

These will become "de rigueur" in future years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin