Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What do you think of Wimberly.
Or Wimberley (I know, I know, I only pick on that 'cause I always spell it wrong and then look at it for five minutes trying to remember if it does or doesn't have that last 'e').

Anyway, Wimberley is a very rocky area along the Blanco River. Very pretty, though, and you will likely have trouble finding anything in or adjacent to Wimberley in your price range. You 'might' find something up highway 12 toward Dripping (Woodcreek is an incorporated neighborhood north of Wimberley, but is does not have acreage) or east along Elder Hill Rd (there are several horse places along there). I do not know specific prices, but in my mind I think you will have trouble finding what you are looking for at that price.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-02-2012 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraclamjed View Post
We moved from Colorado Springs; CO to New Mexico 4 years ago. It is not home....so we are wanting to relocate to the rural Austin area . We want horse property with room for other 4H animals. We would like an active 4H community with a good county fair for my daughter. My son is a drummer and really wants a high school that excels in that area....so what areas would you suggest? I have been looking at Dripping Springs; Liberty Hills; and Leander....any others I should consider? Calling the county extension agent is a great idea! Thank you!!!
Yep, the poverty here (I live in San Juan County also, Farmington) is hard to see, but that's the underbelly of a very poor, sparsely populated state. Too, you have three area reservations, so....

The property taxes (unless you get an agricultural exemption) are extremely high in most of Texas, and the Austin area is VERY hot and humid during the very long summers. Utilities (especially electric) are out of sight.

If those things don't bother you, go for it. I was amazed at how much more reasonable taxes are here (in spite of a state income tax) and Colorado.

Having said that, my home state keeps calling me, but it's going to be hard to leave here. You don't get any better climate than northern NM. But that's just me.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Maybe Taylor, Jarrell, or other nothern parts of Williamson? Not sure about the schools though. You might consider charter schools for that.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 AM

8 posts, read 8,912 times
You guys really are awesome to take time to give advice and offer insight! ----I know; I am going to miss the awesome weather in the 4 corners....it is the best here! I will also miss the endless BLM for trail riding. But more than anything I want a positive environment for my two youngest kids. We have gone through some terribly sad times here with our oldest son...it could have happened anywhere...but we all agree we want a fresh start....of course keeping all of our amazing friends. Anyway; when we visited Austin we all felt at home. We were there for a week this August and we loved it. Heat; humidity; and all! I can't say you didn't warn me!!!! ok tonight my husband just told me he is sending his resume to a job between San Antonio and New Braunfels.....does anyone know that area. Sorry; should I start a new thread?! Thank you!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM

The area between SA and NB is essentially north SA. I have a relative in NB, and she likes it there. East-Southeast of there is Seguin, which is definitely a 'family' town, fairly blue collar (SMI Steel and Caterpillar) with Texas Lutheran University located there, as well. You might be able to get some nice acreage there, not sure on the schools. West of NB, the land it generally going to be a bit pricey for acreage, I am guessing; that is some nice rolling hill country with some really nice creeks/rivers. South of NB, it starts to urbanize fairly quickly, so I am not sure I would recommend that direction.

I guess my short answer is to look north-northeast of SA, around Seguin, and see what you can find. It should not be terrible pricey and it is nice horse country.

You might also see what answers you get on the SA forum.

(P.S. you appear to be a night owl)

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
[quote=HappyTexan;2556090] I don't know about Hutto, but land just outside Taylor city limits is about $5K per acre and up./quote]

I would seriously like to see where that is. I have not seen prices like that at all but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
[quote=oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots;26355930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't know about Hutto, but land just outside Taylor city limits is about $5K per acre and up./quote]

I would seriously like to see where that is. I have not seen prices like that at all but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
bertram is running 3K an acre

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
[quote=Austin97;26360391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post

bertram is running 3K an acre

But how many acres do you have to purchase to get that price?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, horse country north of San Antonio. Think Boerne. Not sure what the land prices are there, though. Or, right next to the Hill Country State Natural Area, which is 5,000 plus acres of equestrian trails and horse camping, Bandera. Seguin is another possibility (and has D&D Farm & Ranch, which is a sort of mecca for horse folks - "girls' day out" for horsewomen in Austin can be a trip to D&D), as are Cibolo and Marion (not familiar with those towns but I have horse friends who have raised kids and/or have kid-oriented equestrian programs in both those areas).

Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM

My guess is that Boerne might be a bit on the pricey side, it has gotten to be quite an affluent suburb of SA now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin