Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 PM

23 posts, read 34,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
What's your price range and size you are looking for?
We'd like 2000 sq ft or larger, 2 story home. We work from home and like the floor seperation. We have family and friends visiting all the time so the large space will be needed. I don't care much about the schools because we don't even have children yet. We will likely send to private school when the time comes anyways. We care about crime and feeling safe. We know there's not much land, but we're okay with that. We love the homes, just are very scared to move to the area based on the zip codes crime data- however that was the case with east Austin which is now improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
We have friends who have lived in Westview Canyon (on the other side of Yager) for five years or so. They've generally been pretty happy, although they have been broken into once and are concerned about the growing traffic on two lane Yager. I can't speak anything of the schools because they are childless and intend to stay that way.

The thing that would concern me about purchasing there -- if indeed it is the Enclave of the Springs -- is the price. I think those prices are incredibly high for the area and you can find a better value in an area that's a better bet at appreciating or retaining its value.

We are definitely looking, but areas like scofield are not really much cheaper and the homes are no where near as nice. Can you think of neighborhoods in particular?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Aren't all of those neighborhoods feeding into Pflugerville schools? I don't know why you'd pay those prices for PISD unless there was something else pressing about the location that interested you. OP, you say you're having planning on having a baby in a couple of years--for that price range I'd look into other areas.

We've been looking, however further north isn't much cheaper and the homes are all from the 80s or older. That's screaming for foundation issues soon I'm sure. Any neighborhoods you might suggest? We wanted to be closer to the domain area

Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Aren't all of those neighborhoods feeding into Pflugerville schools? I don't know why you'd pay those prices for PISD unless there was something else pressing about the location that interested you. OP, you say you're having planning on having a baby in a couple of years--for that price range I'd look into other areas.
In North and Northeast Pflugerville proper, there are homes that are the same price. Just wanted to clarify that not all PISD schools are bad or below average. The individual schools in NE Austin aren't good....not PISD as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoady926 View Post
We'd like 2000 sq ft or larger, 2 story home. We work from home and like the floor seperation. We have family and friends visiting all the time so the large space will be needed. I don't care much about the schools because we don't even have children yet. We will likely send to private school when the time comes anyways. We care about crime and feeling safe. We know there's not much land, but we're okay with that. We love the homes, just are very scared to move to the area based on the zip codes crime data- however that was the case with east Austin which is now improving.
There's nothing to be scared about moving to Austin. Seriously. I came from New York City...so I can rattle off a few places where you'll definitely feel scared. You need to be alert regardless of where you live. If you don't feel comfortable being a gentrifier, then you should take your housing budget and either move a little farther north or maybe check out some of the other zip codes where the crime rates aren't as high. Personally, I feel the prices are too high for the area. Unlike east Austin, it isn't particularly close to downtown. The only thing going for it is probably proximity to Tech Ridge. Not dissuading you from moving into the area but there's now way I'd pay over $350k to live there...not when there's better selection elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with a good, well built 80s or 90s house. I'd take an 80s house anyday over a pre-fab McBungalow/Craftsman. Don't get me wrong, Scott Felder is a good builder and built a number of houses in the *late 80s* in my neighborhood, but the houses remind me of DR Horton's attempt at Craftsmans.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In North and Northeast Pflugerville proper, there are homes that are the same price. Just wanted to clarify that not all PISD schools are bad or below average. The individual schools in NE Austin aren't good....not PISD as a whole.

There's nothing to be scared about moving to Austin. Seriously. I came from New York City...so I can rattle off a few places where you'll definitely feel scared. You need to be alert regardless of where you live. If you don't feel comfortable being a gentrifier, then you should take your housing budget and either move a little farther north or maybe check out some of the other zip codes where the crime rates aren't as high. Personally, I feel the prices are too high for the area. Unlike east Austin, it isn't particularly close to downtown. The only thing going for it is probably proximity to Tech Ridge. Not dissuading you from moving into the area but there's now way I'd pay over $350k to live there...not when there's better selection elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with a good, well built 80s or 90s house. I'd take an 80s house anyday over a pre-fab McBungalow/Craftsman. Don't get me wrong, Scott Felder is a good builder and built a number of houses in the *late 80s* in my neighborhood, but the houses remind me of DR Horton's attempt at Craftsmans.
Thank you for your reply - this is all really great info. We will continue to look, and keep an open mind to all areas. I pulled a lot of data and researched austin compared to we're we both came from (orlando, boston, suburbs of both) and austin is still safer!! High crime in an overall low crime area seems to be nothing to worry deeply about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin