Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 PM

62 posts, read 77,312 times

Advertisements

I live in Westcreek and my backyard/patio/shed is completely inundated with snails. They are everywhere. I tried the pellet stuff around the patio and it did absolutely nothing. I've found a number of them inside the house the last couple of days. Ick!!!!

Does anyone else have this issue?

Does anyone have any methods to deal with them?

I have dogs, so I won't use anything toxic to them.

Help......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 PM

37 posts, read 88,056 times
Both UC-Davis (http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html) and Utah State University (Slugs and Snails in Utah - Integrated Pest Management - utahpests.usu.edu) address this in integrated-pest-management articles, and the Internet offers no shortage of ideas based on beer, yeast or copper traps.

Big props to you for wanting a nontoxic solution.

Someone somewhere in the world is wishing he could scoop up all your snails for salads + such. You know, one man's trash and all that.

Last edited by GPax; 05-12-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPax View Post
Both UC-Davis (http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html) and Utah State University (Slugs and Snails in Utah - Integrated Pest Management - utahpests.usu.edu) address this in integrated-pest-management articles, and the Internet offers no shortage of ideas based on beer, yeast or copper traps.

Big props to you for wanting a nontoxic solution.

Someone somewhere in the world is wishing he could scoop up all your snails for salads + such. You know, one man's trash and all that.
If there are any "someones who want them".......they are "free to a good home"

I tried the beer thing last year - it didn't really work but the dogs liked it.

They are just so much worse this year......I was hoping someone had an "entire yard" solution that didn't involve a flame thrower. I guess I can try the ammonia.....

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,751,557 times
Do you have any French neighbors?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,807,805 times
This is what happens when it rains as much as it has. There were no snails during the drought!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 AM

73 posts, read 89,456 times
I have a similar issue with pill bugs. They swarm up by the thousands in my yard. They're also causing a mass of spider infestations in my garage since they keep getting in, and spiders keep following them and setting up shop. I found piles upon piles of dead pill bugs in the garage from week to week.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,149,305 times
Send both snails and rolypolies my way as I think they are fascinating creatures. I don't get why people would kill such beautiful things for no reason then get up in arms over people hunting deer or fishing.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Send both snails and rolypolies my way as I think they are fascinating creatures. I don't get why people would kill such beautiful things for no reason then get up in arms over people hunting deer or fishing.
I don't want to kill them. But, I accidentally step on them all the time when I go on the back patio or walk out my front door. They also leave trails of slime (?) on the my floors, windows, and whatever else they get one.

My plan is to gather as many of them as I can and dump them in the greenbelt or something. They only thing I intentionally kill are mosquitoes. I accidentally killed a snail in the door this morning.....I don't want to hurt them I just want them to move along.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 PM

68 posts, read 91,089 times
Have you tried diatomaceous earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin