Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times

Advertisements

[quote=jslatch;160268]Austin is WONDERFUL

jslatch, just wondering where you live in Austin. We are trying to figure out what distiguished different areas of Austin.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
That's one of many things I love about Mexicans (hope nobody finds this offensive), they come here by the millions and they just get along with us like locals. Regardless of whether they learn to speak English, the vast majority are respectful of Americans and don't want to change us. And those who become citizens are usually better at being hard-working Americans than us Euro-mutts who've been here for too many generations to truly appreciate what we've got.
Maybe (I hope no one finds this offensive, but I'm guessing some will) it's not that they are getting along with you locals but that the "millions" coming in... "regardless of whether they learn to speak English..." are taking *over* this "Euro-mutt"ed country. Of course they get along! They are winning the illegal alien war, and many in our face about it:

Atzlan: Mexicans Taking Over South West United States

Atzlan: Mexicans Taking Over South West United States

LTG: Mexico's Plans for the U.S.

North American Union Already Starting to Replace USA - HUMAN EVENTS (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=15233 - broken link)

SPP Home

TOPIC: North American Union

Here... just Google North American Union:

North American Union - Google Search

And what some folks on this side think about it (Disclaimer: Views expressed are only views of the author who wrote the blog and not necessarily the views of the author of this post!)

Yahoo! 360° - CyGuy's Blog - Forget Border Security- Take Over Mexico

Is Mexico reconquering<br>U.S. southwest?

Mexico taking over?

The New American (broken link)

And an older post (2004), but it still holds:

Immigrating America Into A Colony Of Mexico

I was previously considering moving to NM, but after reading quite a bit online... I decided that it seemed too much like Mexico in the U.S. rather than a part of the U.S. having an inviting Hispanic flavor. I have nothing against Mexicans in general... yes, they can be quite friendly! I just don't want them taking over the country illegally! Nor anyone else that isn't United States American Constitutionally- minded.

On one hand they're "willing to do work that many of us would not and for far less." (what I've heard, nothing I'm quoting from the board) But on the other hand... what they are earning is accumulating untaxed and/or going back home to MEX while they are simultaneously receiving U.S. benefits unearned (by illegals) paid by Americans (esp. Seniors & Vets who have paid in most of their lives) for housing, food, education, medical services, and much more. The "Illegals' " dollars go much further, and they also quite often live with their extended family (& others) in one home. No complaints there - if U.S. Americans were all so-inclined we'd be a much happier "people"!

I have met and lived near/around both legal Mexican immigrants and illegal Mexican aliens. Generally, yes - they were generally good caretakers of their homes, friendly, and family-oriented. And for those whom I have known who came legally, they were as disheartened as we are disgruntled at those who come who were/are not (legal aliens), esp., those who were given amnesty after a life of lies. It's a never-ending, vicious cycle of who owns what - money - power - greed - pride - etc. But how can someone be "proud" of such intentionally aggressive efforts? And they see us similarly as having "taken their land." And in many cases... we did. Bloody battles, millions of lives... and all for what?

(Sigh)... it's a perpetual cycle.

Were *any* of us here originally - "in the beginning...?" The land doesn't truly belong to any one of us, and yet we all have "rights" to it, right?

It is sad that more ppl cannot simply work collectively together to maintain and restore what we have before it's all lost... as I've heard "to the 7th generation..." of responsibility.

Anyway... I've gone off-track. Well, on-track for the conversation at-hand though not the conversation of-topic... of how a Northerner might be treated in Austin.

I was raised in the South, moved North, moved further North, moved PAC NW, moved back North, and am looking for some sunny skies snowbirding in a warmer location that's not too socially hot!

Sorry, but... I'm reading this thread as I'm considering snowbirding to Austin (have family in TX), and ... I hope that most ppl I'd meet in Austin would be welcoming and accepting.

And... I hope I have not offended anyone here - I like most ppl - just not what some ppl do or how they treat others. God loves us all the same.

Btw, I *have* heard that Austin is "liberal"... can you kind folks provide a list of examples of the "liberality" Austonians (?) live? Perhaps it'd help to hear this from "both" sides of the fence - from those who consider themselves more "liberal" v. those who consider themselves more "conservative" - aside from "politics". That's another whole thread... !

In other words, what is the social politics/social climate of Austin?

Thank you and.... Have a nice day - everyone!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times
Quote:
BELLINGHAM -- it's a SUBURB of Seattle for heaven's sake!!!
Ummm... I think you are thinking Bellevue. Bellingham is like, an hour and a half north of Seattle. Definitely not a suburb of it.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
they will not be treated any differently than a Southerner moving North
Oh yes, they certainly would be... as a Southerner having moved North then returning ... speaking from both sides - being faced by Southerners calling me a "Yankee!" Lol.

A Southerner will smile to your face while gritting their disdain.
A Northerner will give you their two cents in front of everyone and think you are odd for wondering why they don't have "manners" about it!

Lol. I like them both - as I told a Northerner here, I guess I'd rather at least someone treat me well to my face if they don't like me, but in truth, I also like knowing where I stand!

Just be yourself. If someone doesn't like you, then that's one less person with whom you have to get along! And if they do... well then... you've made another friend.

And... you sound likeable enough to me! I'd be your neighbor - North or South! (If you'd be mine!)

Have a safe and memorable move!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBELL View Post
My husband and I ( and 2 kids and 3 dogs) are considering moving from Philadelphia, PA to Austin. I can't stand Philly anymore and looking for some southern hospitality. I work for a development company in Midlle TN, but there is not enough culture there for us (esp b/c we're Jewish). I was wondering how would people from Austin react to us northerners moving there? How are the schools. Right now my girls are in a spanish immersion program and I would like them to continue to become fluent in spanish. Any help would be appreciated. Funny thing is, I've never been to Austin, yet I feel compelled to move there as I have heard many wonderful things and I am tired of cold winters! Thanks
I agree with one poster that no one in Austin cares where you are from. Speaking as a northerner who moved here 4 months ago from michigan, the culture is REALLY different. As far as the "southern hospitality", I will say this much....the people in Austin are polite..that's it. They are very stand-offish and clicky...at least that is my impression as a Northerner. You will find it hard to fit in in Austin...you have your husband..that is a REALLY Good thing.

You might start to get bored though because Austin is really geared towards those who are under 30 years old (i don't know your age, I'm just saying) Its like a college state. I have found it hard to fit in here, but um, this could be for other reasons. I do notice that race does play a small part as to how well you will fit in, and since you said you are jewish, I guess you should be okay...

Get ready for HOT HOT HOT HOT summers. I don't go out unless its before 10 am and after 6:00 p.m. Utility bills are high. The Austin schools are not that great at all. You should look into a private school or a school in Round Rock (they have a better school system).

Don't move down here unless you have a job up and ready for both you and your husband, or your going to have a hard time. Austin jobs are there, but they are very hard to get. The city is very overpopulated. You should also take into account that there is only 1-2 highways I-35, and they are usually crammed EVERYDAY of the hour. If you find a job, you better make sure it is less than 10-15 minutes from you.....

THE GOOD STUFF

Austin has a lot of stuff to do, especially when it involves nature. I love nature and being from the North, you might appreciate the hot weather. The winters here are like 2 weeks long for the whole year. So good luck to you

Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
The original post was 3 1/2 years ago. I imagine the OP has made a decision by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin