Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM

95 posts, read 569,317 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My DH & I are finishing up our residency training (we are both doctors) & now we are trying to find a place to live.
We both actually met in Vail, working at ski school many yrs ago & always thought we wanted to get back to CO...but we have been doing our residency in Ohio & we hate the winters! I don't know what happened...but I think it is b/c it is soo gray outside all winter long & there is nothing to do in Ohio when it is cold. Perhaps, that is what is giving me a bad taste of winter right now. I remember CO being sunny in the winter, which would help.

We both love hiking & camping & going out to eat in nice restaurants.
So, right now we are choosing b/t Austin & Ft Collins
Both have great markets for our profession...so I just wanted to get anyones opionion, if you could live in either city...knowing the above about us...what do you think?
Does it seem too hot in Austin in the summer? I love the diversity of Austin, the Tex-Mex restaurants, the liberal feel...can't decide!!!!!!!
With regards to housing, the types of neighborhoods we are looking into, the prices are equivalent...so really it will probably end up being a weather factor choice.
Advice from random strangers does help soo much, it gives such an unbiased opionion & we really appreciate it! THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. You can always take little trips away during hot season. Being two doctors I have to recommend that you live in Central Austin, specifically around the 38th Street area. The neighborhoods include Brykerwood, Rosedale, Allendale, and others. Please don't get enticed by the large McMansions out in the burbs. Yes, you get a lot for the money but you spend your life commuting. You guys should definitely go for life in Central Austin. You'll be so close to shopping, great restaurants, etc.

I really think you would love living here....just about everyone does!!! Definitely come for a visit so you can see for yourself. And, get a realtor to show you around the downtown neighborhoods. I know a great realtor if you're interested. Just send me a PM. If you're renting, you have tons of options too.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 AM

944 posts, read 3,955,436 times
What an interesting pair of choices! They could hardly be more different, the main things they have in common are lots of outdoor lifestyle and lots of population growth. Other than that, worlds apart.

Austin is WAY bigger than Ft. Collins, but FC is close enough to Boulder and Denver to give plenty of urban options and the people I know who live in Denver love it there. Austin has heat and humidity all summer plus sometimes in other seasons. Even though the feel of the hot humid days is WORSE in Ohio than it is in Austin, you get relief from occasional cold fronts. Central Texas in July laughs at cold fronts.

The humid Gulf air sits miles deep on top of us and says "I don't think so, you Canadian dry-a$$ air, get OOT of Texas and go back to Canada, eh?" Meanwhile, we earthlings sit here sweltering and wishing we could get a taste of something besides "high 96, low 76, 20% chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms" --- the generic forecast for an average day in summer.

But ya know what? The air MOVES here. Not this past summer so much, it was horrible from all I've been told. But most summers are kinda nice once you get used to it. There's a steady breeze that feels tropical, and you can cool off sipping a frozen margarita at a shady outdoor cafe after swimming in one of the many public pools or Barton Springs. It ain't bad, you just have to adapt. And then half the year is paradise --- constantly changing, lots of gorgeous days even in mid-winter (depending on the year).

My fear of Ft. Collins is the reverse of Austin. I'd be afraid it would feel too dry and cold, but then you've got those mountains. Oh, yeah.... those mountains, don't discount them.

It's almost impossible to choose between two incredibly different places. I wish you luck! Maybe you should look into the employment situation first and see if that can make your decision for you. No use moving to a place you like if you spend your days at a job you hate.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
I always thought of Ft. Collins as a place to live if I ever left Austin. It seems like a really nice town, but too small for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin