Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 PM

96 posts, read 127,528 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all tips. I thought I will speak to each school counselor and check what all possible advance courses they offer. As per max courses offered and resources available I was going to focus on house hunting in that school area.

My daughter is good in academics, interested in Arts (cooking, baking, craft, stitching), music then sports. She wants to goto Ivy college definitely. She is definitely competitive.

Some friends recommended stanier ranch and some recommended Avery ranch. I am little confused now. I will definately look for software job after few days. Which place is better for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM

25 posts, read 27,083 times
For your price range, Avery.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 PM

163 posts, read 158,843 times
Live in AISD zone and get into LASA.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,818 times
Westwood and McNeil are the best high schools in RRISD but they aren't in Round Rock. There's nothing wrong with Round Rock HS or Cedar Ridge though. Avoid Stony Point

Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 AM

When kids are young they get influenced from other kids, teachers, company, environment over all. Hence good environment, more courses, resources are important for me

Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylady123 View Post
Thanks folks for info. I thought Westwood is part of Round Rock isd. I want good school but newer house. My broker is sending me list of homes available in Round Rock area which consists of Mc Neil, West Wood, Round Rock HS etc

mesmer is right. In NY all accelerated programs start after 7th grade. I guess honors and AP is similar.

My husband is working from home. I will start looking for IT job after I settle in new place. My criteria is good school, family friendly neighbourhood, scenic beauty etc.

Does Stanier Ranch fit in my criteria? My budget is around 500k. Please advise.
FYI we found the majority of the MLS listings were incorrect in the schools listed. Go to the school district website and bookmark the street zone lists. This saved us a ton of wasted time after we spent our first two days looking at a gazillion houses supposedly zoned for the high school we wanted that in reality were not zoned the way we wanted.

If you end up in Cedar Park/Leander which is Leander ISD be warned, there is some major rezoning coming up next year. It will primarily affect Rouse and Leander High

Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all tips. I thought I will speak to each school counselor and check what all possible advance courses they offer. As per max courses offered and resources available I was going to focus on house hunting in that school area.

My daughter is good in academics, interested in Arts (cooking, baking, craft, stitching), music then sports. She wants to goto Ivy college definitely. She is definitely competitive.

Some friends recommended stanier ranch and some recommended Avery ranch. I am little confused now. I will definately look for software job after few days. Which place is better for me?
To go to an Ivy, she's going to need to be more than "good" in academics. If that is her goal and she is truly driven to achieve and capable of doing so, then I'd purchase in AISD and make admission to LASA the priority. Otherwise, I'd purchase in the area that feeds into Westwood High School in RRISD.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Please explan what is AISD, LASA

Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 AM

743 posts, read 1,371,788 times
Quote:
Please explan what is AISD, LASA
AISD= Austin Independent School District

LASA= Liberal Arts & Science Academy. A magnet high school in AISD. Must apply to be accepted. Outstanding high school. Therefore, excellent free option within AISD. Must live in AISD to attend LASA.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
I thought this thread felt familiar:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-select-6.html

OP still has no clue about school tracks/feeder patterns.....even though the same feeders are recommended over & over for a family that wants: "best school"/"Indians"/near tech). & she's still trying to jam that square pegged Steiner into that round hole. Same questions being asked over & over. Same Answers given.

& the response? "But what about Steiner and Avery?? I have friends that say blah blah blah......"

cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
To go to an Ivy, she's going to need to be more than "good" in academics. If that is her goal and she is truly driven to achieve and capable of doing so, then I'd purchase in AISD and make admission to LASA the priority. Otherwise, I'd purchase in the area that feeds into Westwood High School in RRISD.
A Tex is correct. Assuming the OP's kid is in the top 4% of the kids in AISD (who knows?), then an Anderson HS feeder makes the most sense (since it's the best open enrollment school in AISD and is also the closest to Tech & Indian concentration). OR.....a school that feeds into WWHS (or McNeil HS).

For RRISD, I'd print Maps for Grisham MS, Deer Park MS & Canyon Vista MS. (or the northern most MS that flows into Anderson HS in AISD). All would hit ALL data points (you have) for a middle school kid. (although none guaranty Ivy acceptance....she'll have to earn that on her own ). It doesn't matter that much (which one) since you'll be renting for one year and you'll change your mind by the time you buy anyway.

Or just move to Steiner and enjoy the commute....we need more folks on 620 anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin