Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,014 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to Austin in a few months, and have a few questions.
I would love to be located near my potential employer in the McNeil & Research Blvd area. I see a lot of very affordable (aka cheap) apartments in the areas between Mopac & I-35. What kind of area is this? Usually cheap rent means crappy area, no?
I've also seen a few cool lookin places on North FM 620 just south of Research Blvd. How is this area?

What areas would you guys recommend on a rental budget from 0-$700 monthly. Also, what is the average price of electricity, gas, water & sewage for a single 1 bedroom/studio apartment in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
That's a pretty nice area and there are an abundance of arpartments so meeting your $700 budget should be pretty easy. I haven't lived in an apartment in a long time so I can't answer the utilities question, but electricity on the whole isn't bad here. My niece has a 1 BR and pays $20-$50. My guess is that the others are probably going to be included, but I'm sure that varies by complex.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Oscuridad - you're thinking is correct; there are areas between Mopac and I-35, N of 183, that are very crappy. Just north of 183 and Lamar, near Rundberg, and east of that area is among the worst in Austin. Avoid that. You can check the crime statistics on the city's police web site.

There are some better neighborhoods W of Lamar and N of 183, as you get closer to Mopac, as well as better neighborhoods as you get farther north into the suburbs (Pflugerville and beyond).

North FM 620 just south of Research Blvd is farther out and newer, so I'm sure you'll find some nicer apartments at good prices, since it is more distant from the city (but very reasonable distance from McNeil/Research).

There should also be some decent older apartments right near McNeil/Research... Hunters Chase, AMLI Marthas Vinyard, etc. Nothing fancy but will be close to your work and within your budget for 1br.

Utilities will vary, some complexes will pay water, gas, etc. And electricity might be anywhere from $50-$100 in peak months, with certain apartments at the top floor / western exposure being more expensive to cool.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 AM

You know I just re-read your message and realized you had specified Mopac to I-35. That is not the best area in town. There are tons of apartments in the McNeil/Research area with all kinds of price ranges and amenities. I thought when I first read your message you were looking for apartments near your work. You are going to find a wide variety of per-sq-ft price in that area because there are a lot of older, but still nice, apartment complexes who are competing with the newer ones with lots of amenities. I would stay west of Mopac if I were you. Mopac will be your best bet for going north to south anyway -most people try to avoid I-35.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,014 times
I highly appreciate everyone's input on the matter!
I'll definitely use your recommendations to continue and refine my search.
Here is what I've gathered so far from you all:
1. avoid area between Mopac & I-35.
2. McNeil/Research area is pretty nice w/plenty of apartments at varying prices
3. N Fm 620 south of Research Blvd. is newer, and would/should fit in my budget.

What is the commute like from McNeil/Research area to UT around 5:00pm? I'm guessing its pretty brutal, and making a class at 6:00pm isn't very fathomable?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,374 times
Milwood and Hunters Chase are good for that area, good prices, easy commute etc.

It's just north of McNeil, between Research and Parmer, south of Anderson Mill Lane.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuridad View Post
What is the commute like from McNeil/Research area to UT around 5:00pm? I'm guessing its pretty brutal, and making a class at 6:00pm isn't very fathomable?
Brutal is a good word to describe it. Leaving McNeil/Research at 5 and trying to make it to the UT area by 6 it would be difficult, but not impossible and totally dependent on the conditions for any given day.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of class would you be going to at UT at 6:00? Just wondering if there are any other options.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
I agree it's completely dependent on conditions, and not fun, but I think you could do it. You would need to get to campus at 5:45 realistically, to park and get to class. 45 minutes from McNeil/Research is doable, considering most traffic will be going the opposite way (at 5pm) until you hit about 2222 & Mopac. You might also be able to park around Far West and take the UT shuttle the rest of the way.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 50,935 times
As a few of the members stated, just North of 183 are not the greatest areas. I would stay closer to Mopac rather than 35. One area that is close to your work is the Arboretum area. It has some older apartments that might fit your budget. It also has tons of conveniences like shopping and restaurants. The downside with the north part of Austin however is that it is not "unique" like the central and south part Austin. But I would stay closer to work because traffic between those locations and where you are working can be nasty. Good luck on your relocation to Austin.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,438 times
I agree that the Arboretum area would be ideal for where you're working. There are quite a few nice apartment complexes on or just off of Jollyville Rd. I had a 1 bedroom 1 bath with Washer/Dryer inside for just under $700 a month in 2006 within a gated complex on Taylor Draper Ln.

As others have stated, parking at UT is a major problem. You should be able to make it down there by 6:00PM without a problem, however, parking and walking across campus to the building where your class is could easily take more than 20 minutes. However, since you would be getting there after 5:00PM, you could park in one of the parking garages with your normal "C" student parking pass (students can't park in the garages during the day unless they are employed by UT such as grad students). That might enable you to pull it off.

PTS: Student Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin