Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 34,960 times

Advertisements

I am looking for options/sugestions to plant new tree in my home which does not have any trees in my backyard?

where I can buy the trees in Austin and what trees should I consider for Shades Vs Privacy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
I planted a bunch of oaks which I regret. I wish I had planted trees with fruits or nuts. For privacy I like wax myrtles. They grow very fast and are dense to the bottom. You can shape them into a 20 foot hedge.

For fruits, persimmons do great. peaches and other fruits can do ok

For nuts, pecans are very large trees and their nuts are obviously really nice. Since it is in your yard it will get water and so might fruit more regularly.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
I would avoid pecans. They grow fast, but are brittle. Fruit-bearing trees like persimmons are good, but if near a car or pavement, you will get stains from the fruit, and the bird****.

Shade: Red Oak, Cedar Elms, 'Pin Oaks, Mexican Sycamores, Monterrey Oaks.
Privacy: Cherry Laurels, Mountain Laurels, Red-tipped Photinias, or Crepe Myrtles.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
If you live anywhere near the Natural Gardener, go chat someone up and see what they think for you specific situation; however, in general, there are several varieties of oaks that grow well here, require less water than some fruiting or decorative trees, and are generally long-live and strong enough to take storms. The list above looks pretty good to me, although I have not grown all of them. I would add the Chinquapin Oak, as well.

Things to consider when choosing your trees:
- growth rate;
- low-level density (or lack of);
- Mature canopy footprint;
- when the leaves fall;
- durability;
- disease resistance;
- nuisance conditions;
- water requirements; and
- freeze resistance.

There are probably some other things to consider, as well, such as aesthetics. But in any case, there are a ton of factors and a good nursery can help you through them.

Imho, avoid the Bradford pear, unless you want something to look good in just a year or two and then sell your house. They are notoriously short-lived and susceptible to storm damage.

Similarly, pecans are 'cool', but need a lot of water to grow very quick and you need at least two to produce fruit. They also drop a plethora of little twigs, seemingly constantly. If you are dedicated to growing them, they can be wonderful trees, but you may need to fertilize and water more than some other options.

Red-tipped photinias make a very nice 'screen' plant and can create a sort of extend the height of you fence without taking up much space from your yard. They are very hardy and can do okay in shade (or at least, ours does). They will required regular trimming/shaping, though.

One of the fastest growing oaks is the Monterrey oak (or Mexican White Oak), which is listed as 'up to 24" per season'. Ours have had several years in which it exceeded that growth rate. It also keeps its leaves through the winter unless there is a hard freeze, so it is almost evergreen.

Anyway, several other threads on this topic if you search for them.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-09-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Trainwreck is right, DO NOT PLANT BRADFORD PEAR. They split easily and can cause serious damage. Sure it may not happen now, but in ten years, you can count on it. Talk about short term gratification. In my old neighborhood, five ten plus year old Bradfords were split due to lightning. Our neighbor cut his down for a reason.

Do NOT plant or try to establish a tree in the summer. The water requirements will murder you.

Wax Myrtle is your best bet for privacy. Ours grew to at least twelve feet (high and across) in five years or so, and it started out as a small three foot shrub.

Mexican sycamore is another fast growing tree.

Personally, I would just buy into a neighborhood that has existing mature trees. You'll be waiting for some time before either the builder twigs and branches or any other nursery 35 gallon can provide as much shade as an existing full canopied tree.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
'Pin Oaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I would add the Chinquapin Oak, as well.
(Chinqua) 'Pin Oak? Or are they different?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM

124 posts, read 176,839 times
I will caution about a pin oak anywhere near the house. I had one near the house back in Maryland and one here at the house I just purchased. They "flower" with tons of little "tendril" looking blooms in the spring that fall off and cover EVERYTHING it is quite annoying and they are much more ugly then simple fallen leaves in my opinion.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...D4_flowers.jpg

Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
(Chinqua) 'Pin Oak? Or are they different?
Different. Pin Oaks are not native to this area - are a wetland tree. Chinquapin are.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I really like our Chinquapin's large leaves and huge acorns; however, it drops its leaves in the fall and is bare all winter. If you have a place where you want winter sun and summer shade, worth considering. It is, however, a bit slower growing than the Monterrey, probably 1/2 to 3/4 as fast under the same conditions, which is also what we experienced.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Different. Pin Oaks are not native to this area - are a wetland tree. Chinquapin are.

Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to Chinquapin Oaks all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin