Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,814 times

Advertisements

Moving from the DFW area and was attracted to the Lake Travis ISD area due to the quality of schools. Of course, I heard Eanes was "better", but seriously doubt we can afford the homes in that area. Are there neighborhoods to avoid in Lake Travis? What am I missing here about the area - looks decent on paper but really want to know more about what locals think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
If your life is centered on your kids, and revolves around them and their activities, there isn't a better area in Austin. Just realize it comes at a price, especially if your employment isn't in that area. Also sort of isolated from the nightlife and associated activities of Austin. Those are the two biggest downsides, and may mean nothing at all in your case.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,814 times
My life does center around my kids - maybe that's why I am attracted to the area. I want a good education for my third and last child (other two are college-aged, Rice and UT) and I like the idea of being closer, but not too close, to them too. I think I could be happy anywhere, just want my youngest to have opportunities in the area we move to and not be bored out of her mind. Not a nightlife person and I'm used to driving 30-60 minutes to enjoy downtown Fort Worth/Dallas when desired as it is now, so I think being that far out from downtown will be alright with me too. I don't know. Like I said, it all looks good on paper, and I think it's the best choice, just wondering what may be missed I guess.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I would not be my choice -- and I should state upfront that I often make atypical choices -- for me LTISD is too far out and I'd not a fan of the enormous single high school district. There are no plans to ever have a second HS in LTISD and the demographic projections have the HS getting into the 5000 student range! They will probably do a 9th grade center or even a 9-10th grade campus and 11-12 grade campus at some point.

I much prefer smaller high schools; they are a better fit for my kids.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
I'm pretty sure lake Travis high school has a 3500 student capacity and they plan on building a new high school when it gets to that point...

Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromdfw View Post
My life does center around my kids - maybe that's why I am attracted to the area.
Let me draw a parallel you might be more familiar with. LT is Southlake Carroll. I know, because I've lived in them both. If you like SLC, you will love LT. If you could never imagine raising kids in Southlake -- for good reasons and bad -- then stay away from LT.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I lived in the Dallas area for 25 years, mostly Richardson, but also Valley Ranch, Lewisville, and went to college in Arlington. I also did 8 1/2 years of real estate up there before moving down to Austin 7 years ago.

We chose Lake Travis because of the schools, mostly. They are great schools. I have a 2nd grader and a kid in the LTISD pre-K program. I don't agree that they removed the centrally located Middle School and now have one at either end of the district with nothing in the Middle, but there is already land owned for more schools. Some of that land is rumored to be where the new high school will be built in many many years.

If they remain a 1 high school system, I do like the 9-10th grade and 11-12th grade concept like Plano has it, but they would need to build one on both ends of the district as it's so spread out. Not sure it's possible...

Old 06-15-2015, 12:53 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
My brother-in-law and his wife both teach and live in LTISD and they like it. They don't come into Austin much and they are starting a family, so it checks all their boxes.

For me - it's too far out. But what it has is really nice.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
I'm pretty sure lake Travis high school has a 3500 student capacity and they plan on building a new high school when it gets to that point...
You are right, with the new 9th grade annex, the capacity of LT HS is 3500! The community really wants to keep one HS. “The LTHS Annex allows us to honor the wishes of our community shared with us during our 2011 bond presentations, which was to maintain a 9-12 grade unified school model to best support students,” Lancaster said. See the whole article here (if the link works, it is a AAS report from Feb 2015)
https://shar.es/12OpM2

I think that scm is spot on his comparisons to Southlake above, I think LTISD will opt for a split campus model before they make a second HS.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
We're in Eanes but I work in Dallas a couple of days a week. My impression is that Southlake Carroll is the Eanes of the Dallas area. I may be off base though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin