Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM

844 posts, read 2,011,387 times

Advertisements

I'm having the popcorn removed from my ceiling and need to choose a new finish. Contractor thinks orange peel is a good choice, but in doing research it looks like there in an option called knockout which looks ok and some people prefer smooth. What is the preferred option for new homes in Austin? Modern homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,769,844 times
Either one of those are fine... Pretty standard these days.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:03 PM

48 posts, read 70,551 times
I don't like any texture on the ceiling, but I'm not everyone. Personally I think smooth looks the most modern (as long as there's no gloss whatsoever) and works great with recessed lighting.

Which one do you prefer, OP? If you're okay with smooth I would go with that. You can always come back in and add texture later, but it's a lot harder to change once the texture is already on there.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,569,958 times
A texture will help hide any imperfections in the tape joints and any waviness in the ceiling joists. A smooth surface will amplify such defects.

Both Knockdown and Orange peel are very trending right now and is become a matter of personal preference.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,028,144 times
Yes, if you want a smooth texture, you better have world class people doing the drywall tape and float!

Medium orange peel is typical in Austin homes built in the past decade and it continues to be popular AND most crews know how to apply it well. You don't want your house to the be first where the crew tries to do a new finish.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,699,844 times
If the house is pre-1980 I would not scrape the ceiling without having it tested for asbestos first (Western Analytical Laboratory is what I used). And despite what your contractor may tell you wetting it down before scraping does not bypass the problem. Option two is to "entomb" the popcorn with a layer of drywall.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 AM

123 posts, read 120,189 times
When I moved in to my house, removing the popcorn was a top priority as it was pretty dingy. I had really wanted a smooth finish, but was persuaded otherwise by the crew and I would say I now have closer to the orange peel finish. I'm really happy I went with a slight texture because there definitely were imperfections that the popcorn hid and the orange peel at least does a better job at camouflaging them than smooth would. It's really not a noticeable texture either unless one is staring at it and it seems like it would be overall smoother than knockdown (gentle rolling hills vs plateaus and mini cliffs if that makes sense).

Best couple thousand spent on the house so far!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,356,048 times
I have a 1989 home with textured ceiling...no sure if it's popcorn. Previous owner removed it on the first floor and the volume ceiling. Other part of second floor still has it. At first I wanted it gone but I don't want to spend the money and have to deal with dust. It's grown on me now and I don't mind it but I do mind the non textured patches and the ceiling needs a coat of paint. My former newer house had orange peel texture.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM

844 posts, read 2,011,387 times
Thanks - this is all great input. I slightly preferred the knockdown, but I spoke to my contractor - he says the ceiling is old and the drywall is probably wavy under the popcorn so the orange peel will be hide the imperfections better. He's probably right. I don't feel that strongly about it - just want something that looks good and appears modern.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 PM

313 posts, read 783,542 times
IMO, knockdown looks good where you have warm colors and lots of texture. A light orange peel looks better with cool colors and modern design. Also, use a matte finish on the ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin