Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 AM

20 posts, read 49,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
That is probably one of the best spots as far as access is considered. Beckett has a light at Wm Cannon, so you can make a left turn to go to 290, or a right turn to get to MoPac. You are only a few minutes (seconds?) from the city library and the D. Nicholls park (the pool is heated, free, and open year round now). I am not too familiar with that particular street, seeing as it is a little too far to be on my regular walking route...I am guessing that is about 2 miles by road. It is the older area of the neighborhood, so I am guessing you have some nice big trees.....
Micah Girl, I promise to stop hijacking your thread after this post, honest.

TW, you've nailed the spot. Wheeler Branch is on the edge of the subdivision very close to Cannon. The house is about 24 years old, on a corner lot with a detached garage facing Beckett, the cross street. It's about six miles from my wife's office on Cap of Tex S.

I've never seen the house in person. Due to my having back surgery here in Dallas on Tuesday, the final decision was a solo number by the wife-unit. But the way I figure things, any place with a public library located on Convict Hill Rd can't be all bad.

Bayou Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 07:29 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
It's about six miles from my wife's office on Cap of Tex S.
Hmmm...I am guessing I am about 2 miles from the house you bought, and I am 7.9 miles from my office on Cap of Tex S.....not that there aren't a few offices around here, but maybe she is working in mine

Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
A friend of mine suggested that Waco was an underrated place
Yes, it's underrated in terms of how horrible it is.

It's true you could afford it, as you would also be able to afford many other places in Texas. But then you could probably afford to live in Somalia as well.

Sorry if I'm offending any people from Waco. I have a lot of friends from there and they all ESCAPED because it's a fairly awful place. It has some nice parts and a decent conservative Baptist university where you're still not allowed to dance (last I heard), lots of crime, it's even hotter than Austin... uh, and, uh....
Quote:
I am thinking of Lexington, KY because they are a college town and have cheap real estate. But of course that's not in TX!
If you're open to Lexington then try these also:
Iowa City
Bloomington, Indiana
Lawrence, KS
Fayetteville, AR

Don't laugh. All these places have a lot going for them. Much more than Waco, trust me on that. I'd even suggest Norman, OK, way over Waco. It's a nice college town that is developing rapidly, has a lot of potential and way less crime than Waco. Someday Waco might amount to a place that is more than a breeding ground for pit bulls, meth labs, and right wing religious fanatics, but you don't seem to be looking to pioneer a new hot spot. You're looking for a place that's got more going for it NOW.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Yes, it's underrated in terms of how horrible it is.

It's true you could afford it, as you would also be able to afford many other places in Texas. But then you could probably afford to live in Somalia as well.

Sorry if I'm offending any people from Waco. I have a lot of friends from there and they all ESCAPED because it's a fairly awful place. It has some nice parts and a decent conservative Baptist university where you're still not allowed to dance (last I heard), lots of crime, it's even hotter than Austin... uh, and, uh.... If you're open to Lexington then try these also:
Iowa City
Bloomington, Indiana
Lawrence, KS
Fayetteville, AR

Don't laugh. All these places have a lot going for them. Much more than Waco, trust me on that. I'd even suggest Norman, OK, way over Waco. It's a nice college town that is developing rapidly, has a lot of potential and way less crime than Waco. Someday Waco might amount to a place that is more than a breeding ground for pit bulls, meth labs, and right wing religious fanatics, but you don't seem to be looking to pioneer a new hot spot. You're looking for a place that's got more going for it NOW.
I am thinking that Iowa City and Lawrence have winters that are way too severe for my hubby to consider, and I am thinking that Arkansas is sweaty all the time...(I suppose Austin is, too.) Lexington has winter, but milder than many areas and although it's got humid summers, I am used to those in New England.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM

55 posts, read 308,003 times
Quote:
My husband is a Nurse Practitioner and would probably like to work in a world class hospital.
What type of NP is he? Adult? Family?

Just wondering, I'm a women's health NP and my husband & I are also considering Austin as a new home, but we've heard Houston is the way to go for those in the healthcare field. I don't know if I can stand the humidity.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Quote:
I am thinking that Iowa City and Lawrence have winters that are way too severe for my hubby to consider, and I am thinking that Arkansas is sweaty all the time...(I suppose Austin is, too.) Lexington has winter, but milder than many areas and although it's got humid summers, I am used to those in New England.
Lawrence would have better winters than Lexington, no doubt about that. It's more variable, less cloudy, you have more warm sunny days mixed in with the snow and ice storms. Lexington would be more gloomy.

Fayetteville would have a very nice climate during about 8 months of the year, with only occasional bad winter days.

But you're right about Iowa City --- it's "worse" than Philly depending on what you define as better or worse. They're partly in the humid zone and partly in the flat sweep of northern lower plains where cold fronts from Canada are unimpeded.

Don't rule out Lawrence or Norman, OK. And what about farther west? I guess that's all too expensive.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
I will again suggest San Marcos. It is a beautiful town with a university smack in the middle of it. It has "culture" and a definite vibe going on. It reminds me of a miniature Austin. I think San Marcos' current population is around 40,000.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyq25 View Post

Just wondering, I'm a women's health NP and my husband & I are also considering Austin as a new home, but we've heard Houston is the way to go for those in the healthcare field. I don't know if I can stand the humidity.
I've seen weather stats saying Houston has just 10% more humidity on average than Austin.... not a huge difference. Both are humid, just Houston moreso.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyq25 View Post

Right now he is an RN finishing up his Master's as an NP. He will probably be an adult NP, but not sure exactly how he'll end up...

Old 11-21-2006, 02:22 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Like I said, you'll read/see/hear plenty of knocks about Round Rock.

To me at least, living in Austin is like eating cake everyday, after a while you no long care for it. However, being close enough to indulge whenever the mood strikes, is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin