Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM

99 posts, read 485,977 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to Austin with our 2 school-aged kids, and we'd love to find a place that has strong family-feel. You know, lots of kids running around, a community pool, parks, lots of fun organized neighborhood activities such as 4th of July parade, halloween party, easter egg hunts, BBQ's...and of course, good schools. Canyon Creek in the RR school system seemed nice--any others you'd like to share? We would like to stay around 300K for 4 bedroom.

My husband is an IT consultant so we are not sure on his job location and are not locked into a "planned community" if anyone has ideas of any other older neighborhoods that fit our description. I'd love to hear more about areas West and SW of austin too!

Really appreciate all your help! Austin looks like a lot of fun.

If anyone needs advice on Madison, WI please feel free to respond also!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,831 times
I would suggest Twin Creeks in Cedar Park - a very nice master planned community and Circle C Ranch in the south part of town. You could also check out Belterra, which is a new development south of Circle C...although if I recall correctly, their prices were a bit higher. And as someone else was mentioning...if you can get into Lakeway, I understand that they have a ton of family amenities (skate park, tennis, the list goes on) and are in the excellent Lake Travis school district. I don't really know what houses go for in Lakeway, however!

You can google all 3 names and get tons of info!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,186 times
There are so many great neighborhoods in Austin with the amenities you describe. I would definitely wait and find out where your husband will be working before you look for housing. You don't want to fall in love with a neighborhood and then have him spending an hour each way driving to work. Just my opinion of course!

Old 11-21-2006, 04:40 PM

99 posts, read 485,977 times
Oh I know! That is what might be tough about our move. He's an IT consultant so can move jobs within a city as often as every 3-6 mos depending on the needs of his client. Would you say there more big IT companies in the Northwest vs the Southwest or are they pretty much scattered all over?

Thanks again for your input! I've found these boards invaluable already!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
The NW part of town used to have the most high tech companies in one zip code of any zip in the US. Lots of these were small (it was bases on number of companies, not employees...), but I think that is still probably the highest concentration in Austin.

Anyway, I used to live in a neighborhood just north of Duval, between MoPac and 183. I think the official name was Champions Crossing, although it was part of the Angus Valley Neighborhood Association. Older homes (mainly 70s), not nearly as spiffy as the new Circle C and Belterra homes, but well kept up with beautiful trees. Relatively low turnover, but there was a nice family feel in the area. Good schools (feeds into Davis elementray). This area is great for access to NW Austin, and even other parts, since you are relatively close in.

They do not have the parades, bbqs, etc, that I am aware of, though. Those are pretty much associated with the newer neighborhoods. I am not sure about Scoffield farms, that may be a little pricey, but has a higher concentration of 'young' families and is close in.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 24,822 times
We are relocating to Austin in June 2007 from Cleveland and were there this weekend to look for housing. My kids are 3years and other is 9 mos. - we loved Belterra off 290 West of Austin. There is a real neighborhood feel and they have an amenities center with pool and playscape and walking and biking trails. They had a festival by the amenities center this weekend with a petting zoo and games. They also have a great range of pricing of housing. My friend is renting until her house is built and houses in that area are in the 200's and there are others being built in the 400's.
My friend grew up in Austin in West lke hills and the schools are fanastic in Eanes, TRavis and Dripping springs. All the best!

Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM

62 posts, read 308,310 times
Hi Claire,
Did you notice if there are any rentals in Belterra? I would like to rent first when I move but want to try and buy in the same neighborhood so that a) we can get to know everything and people and b) the kids don't have to re-adjust again.

If anyone knows if there are houses for rent in Belterra, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,
Skrappy

Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 24,822 times
I don't know about right now but her house in Belterra will be available in the early summer 2007. She found it through a realtor.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM

62 posts, read 308,310 times
I'm looking for rentals for May or June 2007... Belterra sounds perfect. Am of course checking out other options as well...

Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
"Back in the Day" I lived on the Rosedale/Brykerwoods neighborhood and was very very pleased (although these may be out of your price range now???).
We built a playscape at Rosedale Park; very proactive neighbors! There was a 4th of July Parade there every year. We young, hip, parents could walk/bike to Upper Crust,Fonda San Miguel and The Omelettry, and eventually, Central Market...

Dunno how much of that "old Austin" exists, but I'm still a fan of "raising kids in the city" if you can fund it!

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin