Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post

Besides, if density holds prices down, SF and Manhatten would be cheap places to live.
Where's it cheaper to live in Manhattan, in an apartment or in a sprawling SFH on acres of property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
SCM high end developments reduce demand for lower end units which will reduce prices for those lower end units.
Nice theory, that falls apart in practice. All of the density in the core in the last five years has been VERY high end - often times tearing down "lower end" units like along S Lamar, to replace them with $2000/mo 1 BRs.

Again, that may be the theory, but Austin's increased density hasn't moderated prices in the least. If you think it has, go try to find an <$600 apt between 45th and Ben White.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM

319 posts, read 610,284 times
Prices have largely risen and fall with national trends. Growth has been independent of that. Extra supply - in any segment - always helps moderate prices. The only exception would be if it drew people to Austin who wouldn't otherwise have come so in the long run, making this a desirable place to live could increase prices. Building luxury apartments helps accomplish that.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Nice theory, that falls apart in practice. All of the density in the core in the last five years has been VERY high end - often times tearing down "lower end" units like along S Lamar, to replace them with $2000/mo 1 BRs.

And by "often times", you mean one apartment complex on South Lamar. All the units on North Lamar and Burnet have been completely new.

And even in that case, they kept "affordable" units in that building. Just like they added "affordable" units to most of the new projects.

Okay, tell us then.

What's the median apartment rent, in an Austin in 2015 in the alternate universe where none of those units were built? Where demand is the same, but the number of units on the market is even smaller?

What's that number? You must know, since you're saying it's smaller than the current median.

Quote:
Again, that may be the theory, but Austin's increased density hasn't moderated prices in the least. If you think it has, go try to find an <$600 apt between 45th and Ben White.
Why's that the magic number? Prices go up all the time. Try to find an apartment there in 1970 for $5 a month. Why didn't prices stay the same as they were in the 20s. Must be the fault of everyone who moved here in the 60s.

Prices have been moderated. They've just been moderated a bit from what would have been even crazier. If you don't like what it is now, whoa buddy, prices where no units go added would really get your goat.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't believe for a minute that most people who move to Austin want to change it into a place just like where they come from. Nothing stays the same. Everything changes. People change. Cities change. It's not 1972 anymore. As much as I wish it was 1972 and I was 18 again, it ain't gonna happen. It's 2015 and complaining that Austin isn't like it use to be isn't going to help anything. None of us who were alive in 1972 are not the same as we are in 2015. And no other city is the same today as it was in 1972. Austin will continue to change. I predict Austin will be as different 43 years from now in the year 2058 as it is as different today as it was in 1972. What can you do but just roll with it? Fighting it will only leave you frustrated and wear you down emotionally.
Exactly!

Every city changes, period...either for better, or for worse.

I think Austin is better than it has ever been. Yes, architecture and public transit are hobbies of mine, and I would like to see Austin adopt better use of these. But that doesn't mean that I want Austin to be like somewhere else.

Wishing for a city to change back to what it was, is like wishing your Ex would come back. The changes that have been made to Austin are permanent...even though I do not think Austin has changed all that much other than more people being there.

There is another site I post on, where people give relationship advice. There is a thread there where people post in an almost OCD-like fashion about how to get their ex back. There was a guy posting for over 18 months on how to get his ex back after he had left her. Then, one day, he discovered through a mutual friend, that she was already married to someone else, and pregnant. He kept posting, wondering what to do, obsessing over the past. I had to tell the guy, "Dude, she aint comin back!"

Well, the old Austin (whatever that specifically means) AINT COMIN BACK!!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Is that you, Clayton Williams?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Is that you, Clayton Williams?

ROFL! VERY apropos! (And most actual Texans will understand the reference exactly.)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 AM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
@ OP...Diversity.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 AM

112 posts, read 165,343 times
I would like to see Austin develop a world class transit system.

Like a lot of people, I have longed believed it would be impossible to have a decent transit system in Austin, let alone a good system. Then one night I watched a documentary about London's growth over the centuries and how it dealt with all of the major problems it encountered because of its population explosion.

Think Austin is experiencing tremendous growth? Read up on London.

Think it's too late, and Austin is already too built up for us to build the kind of infrastructure it would take to have a good transit system? Read up on London.

I doubt Austinites will ever be willing to sacrifice short term personal comfort for long term common good, but there is a pretty good blueprint we could follow.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Exactly!

Every city changes, period...either for better, or for worse.

I think Austin is better than it has ever been. Yes, architecture and public transit are hobbies of mine, and I would like to see Austin adopt better use of these. But that doesn't mean that I want Austin to be like somewhere else.

Wishing for a city to change back to what it was, is like wishing your Ex would come back. The changes that have been made to Austin are permanent...even though I do not think Austin has changed all that much other than more people being there.

There is another site I post on, where people give relationship advice. There is a thread there where people post in an almost OCD-like fashion about how to get their ex back. There was a guy posting for over 18 months on how to get his ex back after he had left her. Then, one day, he discovered through a mutual friend, that she was already married to someone else, and pregnant. He kept posting, wondering what to do, obsessing over the past. I had to tell the guy, "Dude, she aint comin back!"

Well, the old Austin (whatever that specifically means) AINT COMIN BACK!!
haha agree. I also think austin is much better than when I got here and it keeps getting better. Part of it is that I know the nooks and crannys better, have made better friends and have developed my life. But part of it is all the new amenities, especially restaurants. But also things like topgolf, F1, thinkery and the new airport.

Downtown was a dead zone 20 years ago with hardly anyone living there. Will Wynn started it all with his vision to have 25000 people living downtown by 2015 (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin