Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:24 AM

11 posts, read 17,924 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be moving to Austin for his new job. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom 2 story house North or North-West of the city. Our budget is between $300k-400k. We like to be outdoors, not too far from restaurants/shops, and preferably in a multicultural neighborhood (or a less religious neighborhood, if possible). We also have 2 dogs so we would like to be close to a park.

Please advise which areas we should look into.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
By north or northwest of the city, do you mean Round Rock, Cedar Park, et al?

Old 06-24-2015, 07:34 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Less religious neighborhood???

I don't believe there are signs out here detailing religious beliefs of people in the neighborhoods they live. So that one will be a little difficult for you.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:36 AM

Well, when we drove around some neighborhoods we did see many houses with crosses on them.. this would indicate a religious neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:14 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annachka View Post
Well, when we drove around some neighborhoods we did see many houses with crosses on them.. this would indicate a religious neighborhood.
Unless they were burning them .

To be very much guilty of stereotyping, the suburbs are generally somewhat more 'religious', but maybe not for Jewish or Hinduism. Is it just Christian that you are looking to avoid?

Anyway, I don't know that there are neighborhoods that are commonly known to be more religious than others. Perhaps they are out there, but will be difficult to assess, imho.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
you mean like this?

Seriously.....I live NW & rarely see any type of religious signs. I'm sure there are lots of folks of all kinds of different faiths.....but very few wear it on their sleeves. (or have signs out front).

& as far as "multicultural", all of North & NW Austin (& Cedar Park & RR) is multicultural with Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics & a % of Blacks.

More importantly, where is the job located (nearest cross streets) and what do you mean when you say multicultural?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM

68 posts, read 91,542 times
Quote:
I've heard California and Massachusetts have some really nice, non-religious neighborhoods. Seriously though, you do know this is Texas you're moving to, right?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
you mean like this?

Seriously.....I live NW & rarely see any type of religious signs. I'm sure there are lots of folks of all kinds of different faiths.....but very few wear it on their sleeves. (or have signs out front).

& as far as "multicultural", all of North & NW Austin (& Cedar Park & RR) is multicultural with Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics & a % of Blacks.

More importantly, where is the job located (nearest cross streets) and what do you mean when you say multicultural?
The job is close to the Austin Country Club. By multicultural, I mean blacks, asians, hispanics.. basically the minority groups of America.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
Annachka, I didn't find your original post to be ludicrous or entertaining, but I must be in the minority. I am also not religious and I wouldn't particularly want to be the only non-Catholic (or whatever--take your pick of religions) on the block. I actually would turn down a "perfectly good house" if there were enough evidence of cultural aspects or lack of diversity in the neighborhood to indicate my family wouldn't be a good fit--not sure why that was so hilarious.

I recommend, in your price range, that you check out Milwood, Hunter's Chase, and the neighborhoods on the other side of Anderson Mill Rd at 183. Springwoods, I think is one of them. I live in this area, have a wide variety of neighbors (white, Asian, Indian, and African-American on my street alone) and it doesn't seem to be an uber-religious neighborhood. People go to church, but plenty of others don't. Haven't seen too much religious iconography or statuary.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Annachka, I didn't find your original post to be ludicrous or entertaining, but I must be in the minority. I am also not religious and I wouldn't particularly want to be the only non-Catholic (or whatever--take your pick of religions) on the block. I actually would turn down a "perfectly good house" if there were enough evidence of cultural aspects or lack of diversity in the neighborhood to indicate my family wouldn't be a good fit--not sure why that was so hilarious.

I recommend, in your price range, that you check out Milwood, Hunter's Chase, and the neighborhoods on the other side of Anderson Mill Rd at 183. Springwoods, I think is one of them. I live in this area, have a wide variety of neighbors (white, Asian, Indian, and African-American on my street alone) and it doesn't seem to be an uber-religious neighborhood. People go to church, but plenty of others don't. Haven't seen too much religious iconography or statuary.
Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin