Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,943,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
Maybe you just come across as "difficult." You may have a first impressions problem.
This. When you're in business long enough, you tend to develop a sixth sense about these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:44 PM

132 posts, read 230,207 times
Ah, boy. So sorry I don't just lay dead and let me money blow away in the wind.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
Maybe you just come across as "difficult." You may have a first impressions problem.
This. I run a small business and if I detect anything that will make life difficult for my staff, our schedule is magically booked.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
So, menono, how's that working out for you? Can't get anybody to come do the things that you need to have done so I'm guessing you're saving a LOT of money, but at what cost in quality of life and actually, you know, getting things done?

I also agree with the above posters - you're coming across as a cheapskate high maintenance potential client that is going to cost the business more than your business is worth. Any business owner worth their salt will not do that to their employees, especially since you're going to be a net loss both in money and aggravation.

But you can sleep well at night knowing that you've got all that money in your mattress.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 3,554,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This. I run a small business and if I detect anything that will make life difficult for my staff, our schedule is magically booked.
Yes indeed! How I run my auto repair business.

Don in Austin

Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 PM

15,238 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Well, in all honesty, lets break down what it appears you are asking for:
Quote:
It is RARE when I actually find a company who wants my business and will give me their best price.
Almost any company will want business, and most pretty much give you the price they charge - and that is their 'best' price. The only companies that I know of that negotiate prices tend to be the most expensive ones to start with - ABC for appliances and Sears for just about anything are the two that immediately come to mind.

Quote:
They either do not return a call
It happens, possibly because they have too much work, or quite possibly because they are not run very well. In either case, they will not be getting any work if they don't return a call, obviously, and if they are too busy/poorly managed, it isn't who you want anyway.

Quote:
they don't act interested when I say I want a good price and they are filled with work- 4-6 weeks out.
Not sure how (or if?) these thoughts are tied together, but most companies are not negotiating their prices for 'standard' services. Now, if you are talking about a major remodel, then that might be appropriate, but if they are busy enough with work anyway, why would they bother? And if 'they' all are not a 'good' price, maybe your idea of a good price is out of kilter with the market.

Quote:
There are some companies that charge a fee to come give a big (what on earth? Maybe I should charge them a fee to come to my house?!)
Well, yeah, pretty standard for some stuff (AC work, plumbing) and very rare for others (roofing and fencing quotes are usually free). If you don't like it, find a company that does not charge for bid, there usually is at least one or two that don't. Some will roll the estimate 'fee' into the cost if they do the work. This is pretty standard business model just about everywhere I have been, so nothing unique that I am aware of. I guess some truly depressed market areas may not have this as common.

Quote:
Is there just not enough competition out there? I just want a company in any field to WANT my business and show it.
What exactly are you looking for? Roofing, AC, electrical, plumbing, fencing all have a ton of options and, generally speaking, will want the work. I have never had trouble getting multiple bids in relatively short order for any of the above work over the years.

You have to wonder what is the common denominator in all your difficulties?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:00 AM

997 posts, read 1,304,184 times
Well, they are busy building for this population boom. The good ones can be choosey. I'd say that over the last 3 years I have lived here, about every other month I have had some sort of improvement/renovation happening. Windows, fence, electrical, garage, AC, concrete, landscaping, painting, you name it.

First, don't come off as a cheapskate. Tell the contractor you will be doing this job one way or another, they might try and get a number from you but just say you're flexible and not choosing the cheapest. I have found it interesting the real good ones prefer texting.

Lastly, and this is just me, I never call the top rated Yelp companies...they are too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: