Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
OP, no you cannot get a downtown condo 2/2 1000 sq feet for $300-350K.
Uh, he didn't ask for a downtown condo. He asked for "10-15 minute drive to where "it is happening" ", which non-rush hour puts you at a pretty big radius from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
If you can find a job up north or on the 360 you could afford what you like near the Domain or Lakeline area (commute wouldn't be too bad and Domain and Lakeline area could be considered "happening" for some). If you are looking at downtown...no way unless you are good with buying a fixer upper and taking out a 203K loan for rehab costs. A condo might work though just be prepared to make some strong offers.
Dude, if you want to keep putting a "the" in front of highway names, please consider taking a new username, because you are in no form or fashion an AustinDude. You might consider SoCalDude as an alternate.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Particularly if you haven't spent a lot of time here yet, rent for a year. The 1000 square foot condo market is not going anywhere and you'll have a better idea both of the neighborhoods and whether you like it here at all.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:19 PM

55 posts, read 170,972 times
Greenview on Barton Creek in South Lamar. Check it out. It starts at around $300,000. We rent in this area, 78704. Close to everything, a few miles to 6th Street(downtown Austin). South Lamar just before Ben White is a booming area with lots of new apartments built (and still being built) just within the 3 years that we moved here. In-n-Out burger being built right in front of it. New restaurants popping up around the area. We love this area, it's convenient to everything.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,874 times
Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! Great decision to post here, did not expect such a flood of useful data.

So if I were to distill the comments, it would be the following:

1) Running away from high house prices in Boston to Austin may not be the wisest move. Looks like Austin is red hot. Indeed Zillow confirms, you guys not only shrugged off the recession completely but are hyperbolic. Granted this is Austin average pricing, with great variance in neighborhood, but I get the idea.
2) Commute is already gridlocked, so if I want to escape Boston traffic - I am not going to.
3) I should probably visit and consider renting instead of just moving and hoping for the best.
4) Apparently Austin summer is the flip side of Boston winter? I can't imagine personally ever complaining about too much heat, after months of cold dreary snowy days how bad can the heat be?

My choice budget is going to put me further out that I anticipated...that is not great.

I am a single guy, would love to live somewhere trendy/cool and be able to meet women and make new friends. If I live in the burbs or buy some old fixer-upper then it might impact the social life.

Going to investigate the following hoods:
South Lamar
Hyde Park
Crestview

Few more questions for folks:

- Anyone have insight into the IT market? How are jobs looking for those in the software space. Where are most of the software companies?
- Any insight on the dating scene for us early/mid 30s people?

Thanks again! You guys rock.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
I'm from Boston originally. People here comparing the rising COL in Austin to Boston, really don't get just how expensive it is to live in Boston. A 2bd 1,000 sq ft condo in Boston or Cambridge will easily set you back 600k or more and come with a huge condo fee to match. OP can definitely get what he's looking for in that budget.

Regarding weather, I greatly prefer the summer heat to the oppressive NE winters. Most of the year, it's actually quite pleasant here, at least for me.

Regarding where to live, most of the tech jobs are in the NW Austin area. I would look for a condo in the Crestview, Brentwood, Allendale, Northloop neighborhoods. It will be easy to get to both work and entertainment districts downtown. All of these neighborhoods have lots of local coffee houses, restaurants, bars, et cetera, within walking/biking distance.

Best of luck with your new start!

Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Any insight on the dating scene for us early/mid 30s people?

Way more men than women! And you are okay with tattoos, right?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post

Regarding weather, I greatly prefer the summer heat to the oppressive NE winters. Most of the year, it's actually quite pleasant here, at least for me.
If nothing else, as the old saying goes, you don't have to shovel heat

Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 PM

198 posts, read 318,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! Great decision to post here, did not expect such a flood of useful data.

So if I were to distill the comments, it would be the following:

1) Running away from high house prices in Boston to Austin may not be the wisest move. Looks like Austin is red hot. Indeed Zillow confirms, you guys not only shrugged off the recession completely but are hyperbolic. Granted this is Austin average pricing, with great variance in neighborhood, but I get the idea.
2) Commute is already gridlocked, so if I want to escape Boston traffic - I am not going to.
3) I should probably visit and consider renting instead of just moving and hoping for the best.
4) Apparently Austin summer is the flip side of Boston winter? I can't imagine personally ever complaining about too much heat, after months of cold dreary snowy days how bad can the heat be?

My choice budget is going to put me further out that I anticipated...that is not great.

I am a single guy, would love to live somewhere trendy/cool and be able to meet women and make new friends. If I live in the burbs or buy some old fixer-upper then it might impact the social life.

Going to investigate the following hoods:
South Lamar
Hyde Park
Crestview

- Anyone have insight into the IT market? How are jobs looking for those in the software space. Where are most of the software companies?

IT market is good and competitive if you have a solid programming background. What programs and language do you know. Any management experience? They are kinda everywhere, but a good number of are on 360.

Hyde Park is nice - though I don't think you can afford that area with your budget anymore. You can land a run down fixer upper...would recommend fixing it as investors are gutting homes there and then putting them up for sale at over $600K and selling them. There is one next to my work that an investor purchased, gutted, and looks really nice. It's listing at over $700K now. I think there is a pre-foreclosure in that area right now.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post

dating scene is excellent lots of good looking girls, all concentrated in a small area. the biggest complaint is none of the guys want to marry. When the girls get in their late 20s the guys get all the power..

IT market is good, but more software than IT. Dell is always hiring but they are a meat grinder.

the big companies are google, paypal, visa, dell, IBM, general motors, home depot, national instruments etc.

smaller companies are those like retailmenot, bazaarvoice, sparefoot (pre ipo !), netspend, spiceworks etc etc

look at indeed.com (austin company!) to find jobs.

almost all tech jobs are north of the river so you definitely want to be north of the river. Many are downtown but many are along mopac or west of mopac east of 360 and south of 620. Some people have posted tech company maps on city-data or you can google them.

The population center of town is probably something like 38th and lamar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin