Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 43,220 times

Advertisements

I know churches can be the most segregated spaces in America... but it is worth a shot. We are a multiracial family and we'd love to hear about any churches that are racially diverse in the Austin area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
many of the episcopal churches - St. David's, St. James

Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 PM

230 posts, read 544,739 times
I visited Shoreline once and it seemed to have a little bit of everything.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:01 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoaustin_27 View Post
I know churches can be the most segregated spaces in America... but it is worth a shot. We are a multiracial family and we'd love to hear about any churches that are racially diverse in the Austin area.
Do they have United Church of Christ churches there? I'm sure there is one. Also called UCC and Congregationalist.

PS -

http://congregationalchurchofaustin.org/ - found it and it looks like a good one!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
I don't know where you are located or what type of church you prefer, but you might look into Unity Church in Cedar Park. You can go to their website, dial up one of their recorded services, and see what the place and people look like. I just took a look at the Easter Sunday service, and it looked like the makeup of the choir/people in front of the church was pretty diverse.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 AM

112 posts, read 165,221 times
The church I attend certainly isn't diverse. It's like the least-integrated place I ever go. And boy am I getting tired of everybody there whining about how Christians are such victims nowadays! To listen to them talk, you'd wonder if God has vacated his throne.

I need a new church too.

I've visited Shoreline a few times and it seems like a healthy, happy, harmonious well-integrated church.

Too far from my house though...

Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoaustin_27 View Post
I'm 1/2 indian (dots, not feathers), 1/2 german, but born and raised 100% american. My wifes caucasian.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) Location, location, location - start close to where you live. Austin's a little big town. Where you be? Stay as close to there as possible so you can help the little community you live in be better and help your kids build positive relationships where they live.

2) Church dates - in the spirit of #1, make a mental note of must haves. Put your kids and significant other first so talk to them. Then, go on weekly church dates and stick to the one that your family feels most comfortable with AND that you can live with. Some will be akward turtle, that's OK just take whatever postive vibes you can and move on.

3) Austin's awesome - generally speaking, people are kind and accepting regardless of who they are or their background. You might be surprised by the church you connect the most to.

4) Now super bias - Consider episcopal churches. That's where I've felt the most comfortable. Nuff said.

5) Multi-location Pastor broadcasts - in continuation of #4, something I've found fascinating about TX churches is that many have multiple locations where the Pastor only attends one location, and the others get a broadcast. This was strange to me, a distraction, and didn't help me connect with the message. Works for most, just not for me.

Good luck and god bless.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 43,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
many of the episcopal churches - St. David's, St. James
Thanks for the recommendation! We are more comfortable in more contemporary / "low church" settings though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson78660 View Post
I visited Shoreline once and it seemed to have a little bit of everything.
We will check it out! I'm not sure how we'll feel about a MEGA-mega-church but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do they have United Church of Christ churches there? I'm sure there is one. Also called UCC and Congregationalist.

PS -

Friendly,Liberal Church,Volunteer Oportunities,Missions,Sermons,Photos,Congregationa l Church of Austin,UCC,United Church of Christ - found it and it looks like a good one!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't know where you are located or what type of church you prefer, but you might look into Unity Church in Cedar Park. You can go to their website, dial up one of their recorded services, and see what the place and people look like. I just took a look at the Easter Sunday service, and it looked like the makeup of the choir/people in front of the church was pretty diverse.
Thank you for the suggestion - sounds promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post
The church I attend certainly isn't diverse. It's like the least-integrated place I ever go. And boy am I getting tired of everybody there whining about how Christians are such victims nowadays! To listen to them talk, you'd wonder if God has vacated his throne.

I need a new church too.

I've visited Shoreline a few times and it seems like a healthy, happy, harmonious well-integrated church.

Too far from my house though...
Hate to hear that. Hope you find what you are looking for! Good to hear about Shoreline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviegatx View Post
I'm 1/2 indian (dots, not feathers), 1/2 german, but born and raised 100% american. My wifes caucasian.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) Location, location, location - start close to where you live. Austin's a little big town. Where you be? Stay as close to there as possible so you can help the little community you live in be better and help your kids build positive relationships where they live.

2) Church dates - in the spirit of #1, make a mental note of must haves. Put your kids and significant other first so talk to them. Then, go on weekly church dates and stick to the one that your family feels most comfortable with AND that you can live with. Some will be akward turtle, that's OK just take whatever postive vibes you can and move on.

3) Austin's awesome - generally speaking, people are kind and accepting regardless of who they are or their background. You might be surprised by the church you connect the most to.

4) Now super bias - Consider episcopal churches. That's where I've felt the most comfortable. Nuff said.

5) Multi-location Pastor broadcasts - in continuation of #4, something I've found fascinating about TX churches is that many have multiple locations where the Pastor only attends one location, and the others get a broadcast. This was strange to me, a distraction, and didn't help me connect with the message. Works for most, just not for me.

Good luck and god bless.
Great advice. We are not really a good fit for the Episcopal crowd, but I'm hopeful we'll find something. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
There's a church called mosiac which is unrelated to the other church that used to be called mosiac. We visited for awhile. Diverse, medium sized, relaxed.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:50 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
Don't know where you live but Cavalry church in Pflugerville was diverse, specifically white and hispanic families. Also had a coffee bar in the lobby last time I went, can't beat that. I don't go to church but when I did I liked mega-churches. They tend to have lots of activities and a good infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin