Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM

173 posts, read 459,115 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an apartment complex here in Austin that does NOT have bedbugs or roaches, because other than the housing authority of the city of austin aka (the projects) I Have not found one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 02:04 AM

657 posts, read 736,188 times
Blame it on the dirty hipster types from other cities. I guess apartment residents arent a majority of this forum but bedbugs in the city have become a huge issue in the past few years. This includes apartments and hotels. Gross!!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM

164 posts, read 328,761 times
I am guessing you don't have a big budget?

What area are you looking?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,542,955 times
I've read that bed bugs and even small roaches have a tendency to follow people around because they hide in your property that you move from place to place. Deep clean your stuff the next time you move.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM

6,331 posts, read 18,007,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Blame it on the dirty hipster types from other cities. I guess apartment residents arent a majority of this forum but bedbugs in the city have become a huge issue in the past few years. This includes apartments and hotels. Gross!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It takes a special kind of dumb to type something so patently false as this.
I don't know. The "Hipster" archetype is predisposed to eschew traditional lodging choices, opting for AirBnB, HomeAway, CouchSurfing.com and others, where the cleaning of linens and such are not industrialized and systemized to the degree found in, for example, a Four Seasons Hotel.

Bedbugs migrate in luggage, clothing and furniture, and a true Hipster doesn't regularly wash the skinny jeans found in the old tattered Hipster luggage.

Thus, the hypothesis is not entirely invalid, is it?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,066,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't know. The "Hipster" archetype is predisposed to eschew traditional lodging choices, opting for AirBnB, HomeAway, CouchSurfing.com and others, where the cleaning of linens and such are not industrialized and systemized to the degree found in, for example, a Four Seasons Hotel.

Bedbugs migrate in luggage, clothing and furniture, and a true Hipster doesn't regularly wash the skinny jeans found in the old tattered Hipster luggage.

Thus, the hypothesis is not entirely invalid, is it?
Yes. It is entirely invalid.

Bed Bug Myths | Bed Bugs: Get Them Out and Keep Them Out | US EPA

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,469,438 times
Hipsters bathe quite regularly. It actually takes a LOT of work to look THAT dirty. I am of course laughing as I type this, recalling a visit once to a Rainey St. bar that had lavender-infused mustache wax in their unisex bathroom.

Cheap international travel and a turn toward more environmentally-friendly cleaning products in hotels has caused a resurge. Austin has some filthy complexes run by slumlords too cheap to maintain proper pest control, too. I truly doubt hipsters play a valid role in the matter even though they *can* be fun to pin the city's ills upon.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Cool slum lords are the real problem

Austin has some filthy complexes run by slumlords too cheap to maintain proper pest control, too. I truly doubt hipsters play a valid role in the matter even though they *can* be fun to pin the city's ills upon. [/quote]

You said it all....

That is the problem, when you tell your land lord that there are bedbugs in your apartment and a month and a half later they have not even treated it one time...how on earth can they not spread.

You can take them to work with you, to the hospital emergency room, to walmart, heb, anyplace you happen to go and bedbugs decide to hitch a ride,..you unintentionally spread them.

Of course if slum lords would treat properties promptly and correctly there would be less chance of them spreading...but I guess with all the overpriced apartments in this city, slum lords are just too poor to treat them.

and pay attention to apartment ratings, everybody is not over exaggerating or lying, those low ratings are for a reason.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
I am guessing you don't have a big budget?

What area are you looking?

I have a regular budget, Austin jobs do not pay enough to cover it's, grossly, over inflated cost of living.

As long as it's located on a bus line, close to grocery and other necessities shopping, I don't care the part of town.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
I have a regular budget, Austin jobs do not pay enough to cover it's, grossly, over inflated cost of living.

As long as it's located on a bus line, close to grocery and other necessities shopping, I don't care the part of town.
I recommend you move another city, unless you find a higher paying job. Austin isn't worth living in filth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin