Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do about the vegetation along the roads?
Mow it. It looks hideous now and is a fire hazard! 22 44.00%
Keep it Natural. Austin is all about being natural, we don't need to look like sterile Dallas! 28 56.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Okay, with all the rain we've been having it is really noticeable. I'm talking about the policy that Austin has of letting all medians be "natural". It was started because in the spring the wildflowers are pretty and they don't want them to mow them down, but now the weeds are several feet high and look way too unkempt for me. Also, when the drought hits, and it may not now but it may next year, all that undergrowth is just fuel for a fire. If they kept the medians and sides of the freeways mowed, it wouldn't be an issue.

So, what do you think, should they mow the medians and sides of freeways or just keep it natural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 05:20 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
They leave the wildflowers until they go to seed. That keeps the cycle going.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
What kiacook said. Just because you can't see wildflowers doesn't mean that they are ready to be mowed yet. Plus, choie two above.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Some time ago, I saw a video by the State (not the city) that explained why the medians are left, and it is exactly as Kiacook said, to allow the wildflowers to seed. They also stated how many millions of dollars the state saved each year by skipping the spring mowing. I don't remember the number. But if you can save money and perpetuate wildflowers at the same time, it seems good to me. Personally, I think lots of good things could happen if our collective taste would change from liking the look of mown lawns to liking natural landscapes. I imagine there will be a fall mowing. Concerning fires, that is just one drawback to a wet year. Mowing would help only minimally if the cut grass is just left there, which it would be. Mowing once a year will prevent the growth of trees and large shrubs, which you really don't want to grow in medians/roadsides in an unplanned way (like right next to the pavement.)

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 07-02-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Trimmed but not manicured has always been my approach to landscaping. They can certainly mow a swath to keep the weeds/bermuda/stuff from falling into the road and onto the sidewalks and let the rest run wild(although mowing once or twice a year wouldn't hurt). Even median areas are often left to natural limits and it contributes to the overall slovenly appearance. Ugly begets ugly...inviting people to leave their trash and shopping carts in the tall grass. Boo hiss!!!

Also, there are plenty of areas where the tall grass can obscure vision when pulling out of streets and driveways...not to mention the lush treescape now hanging well below the 14' overhang clearance dictated by city code(REALLY easy for a cyclist to tell where those areas are...having to duck under branches while riding in a bike lane is a pretty good indication that the trees are getting out of hand!).

Mow the darned stuff!!!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 AM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
A good reason I can think of is that it takes money and resources to cut it back. If it's not really needed, then why bother?

Old 07-03-2015, 11:52 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I think we need to get over the manicured look. This mow-grow-mow-grow mentality seems bizarre to me. I like to watch the grasses blow in the breeze when I'm stuck in traffic. But I do agree that corners and intersections need to be kept trimmed for visibility.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Wow neck and neck here...

Old 07-03-2015, 03:31 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
Didn't quite like the poll options. It's not really a fire hazard since it's been so wet...yet.

I am one of those people that like some of the changes to austin, call me progressive but I just don't see the attraction of dilapidated buildings and housing just to keep a place "weird"... but at the same time I think its a sound fiscal decision to skip spring mowing and also environmentally friendly to allow the wild flowers to seed. I also heard that walking on it helps the wildflowers for next spring as well.

I voted that it doesn't bother me.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:00 PM

48 posts, read 70,955 times
Patience, grasshopper. They've been mowing sections here and there. I think with all the rain, it's growing faster than they can keep up. I don't see it being such a high priority that we need to allocate funds to hire more mowing crews. The grass will get cut eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: