Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 04:22 PM

21 posts, read 25,086 times

Advertisements

I have some cracks in the foundation veneer or skim coat with some exposed metal. Who do I call to fix this? I called a few foundation companies but they say the job is too small. Is something that a handyman would fix? I don't know anything about concrete!

Picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:40 PM

124 posts, read 175,170 times
I would think a masonry company may be able to help?

Also maybe give this a read over?

Foundation plaster repair - How to DIY right

Old 07-09-2015, 06:49 PM

3,037 posts, read 8,315,875 times
It's a very simple repair that anyone can do for way less than you would call someone out to do it! If you would like to learn you can Google search brush coating concrete. You can also visit HD or Lowes and check their concrete surface patch materials and some have instructions right on the package.

Just out of curiosity though is that a Pier & Beam foundation?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've never tackled concrete DIY before, but I think I'll try with this!

Just a concrete slab foundation.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuen6o View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. I've never tackled concrete DIY before, but I think I'll try with this!

Just a concrete slab foundation.
The reason I asked was that is A LOT of concrete foundation wall showing! Not sure how your home was built but it makes it look like a P&B. Also the exposed "metal" looked like a Post Tension Cable end with the circular grout cap being the white around it. That just looked odd.

It is a very easy job and really is hard to not do properly. Just make sure you flake off the loose skim coat (parge coat) before you start so it does not cause this again. If your not into aesthetics I would recommend one of the fiber cement patch materials for skim coating it. They are a darker gray but when done properly (easy to do) you can hit it with a hammer and it won't crack.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:45 PM

12,861 posts, read 13,159,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuen6o View Post
I have some cracks in the foundation veneer or skim coat with some exposed metal. Who do I call to fix this? I called a few foundation companies but they say the job is too small. Is something that a handyman would fix? I don't know anything about concrete!

Picture
There are several spots like that around the edge of our 20 year old slab. No big deal to me - I don't walk around there very much.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
There are several spots like that around the edge of our 20 year old slab. No big deal to me - I don't walk around there very much.
I was told that it was best to cover up the metal parts so it doesn't rust and cause cracking of the foundation.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If your not into aesthetics I would recommend one of the fiber cement patch materials for skim coating it.

Can you recommend a product at Home Depot or Lowe's? I've searched and can't find "fiber cement patch". I did find:

STYRO Industries 2-Gal. Concrete Grey FlexCoat Brush on Foundation Coating-FCCG2 - The Home Depot

STYRO Industries 5 Gal. Concrete Grey Tuff II Foundation Coating-TTCG - The Home Depot

You've been super helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Where is the exposed metal? (Is it just the piece that looks like a form tie (size of a large nail?))

I would be more concerned with what caused the large break, but the hose bib might explain it.

Yes, knock out ALL the loose stuff and do this
Foundation plaster repair - How to DIY right

I would use elastomeric additive and fiber in the mortar mix (Or the items you listed above) probably the Tuff II

Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 PM

Wow that s ucks! Looks like Lowes and HD have gone away from all the good products and are getting heavy into Quikrete products which I don't care for anything of importance. They used to sell a Sakrete fiber cement patch with a polymer base that was really good stuff. I went to Sakrete's site and they don't even sell it anymore. Seems the Big Box boys haven't figured out that some would rather pay a little more for good products instead of them saving/making money.

You can try the Tuff II product and just monitor it for a couple of years to see how it holds up. What you might also do is check the local Ace Hardware store (call first) and see if they are carrying anything other than what their corporate shoves down their throats (Quikrete). Sometimes they do carry other brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin