Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 AM

112 posts, read 165,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My experiences with them haven't been that great. Aphid prone, needs more water than other trees, powdery mildew. Wax myrtles however are really low maintenance -- though they're just a large green tree and nothing more.

You know, riaelise, I have to agree with the other poster/s who said your experience is atypical. I have six crepe myrtles in my yard and I don't pamper them. They get the same treatment as all the other trees. Nothing more, nothing less. No extra water. No extra pruning. No extra care. And they do fine. No mildew. No curled leaves. No problem whatsoever.

Have you ever had your soil analyzed? Maybe your soil is more alkaline than that of most people around here or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
They are nice, but a lot of people just chainsaw them down like shrubs which wreck the trees. It's a bit difficult to find a medium sized tree that flowers like they do. Magnolias come to mind, but we have a lot of areas with alkaline soil that they don't like.
There seems to be a movement among lawn care/landscape people to convince the general public that crepe myrtles need to have their tops cropped every year just before spring. I think it is just a way for them to charge extra because it doesn't do the crepe myrtle any good. Indeed, it just stunts their growth, like you say, AustinDude360.

I do prune my crepe myrtles but never by chopping their tops off. I remove the little suckers shooting from the base, the dead branches and the horizontal side branches. In my front yard, my crepe myrtles have grown to be about 15' tall. They provide a lot of shade and the bloom gorgeously.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 AM

124 posts, read 176,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This has got to be the most lamo thread. Somebody complaining about crepe myrtles? Come on, they define the South. If you don't like them, I just don't know what to say.
Again.

Was not complaining about crepe myrtles. I was simply curious as to why they are so ubiquitous since I am not originally from the area.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlan1 View Post
Again.

Was not complaining about crepe myrtles. I was simply curious as to why they are so ubiquitous since I am not originally from the area.
Don't worry about it. The thread is up to five pages. Hardly "lamo" in the eyes of most. Besides, look at all the other threads on this forum. People talk about crazy stuff. It's ok. It's fun. People complaining about this particular thread is kind of like somebody walking into a forest, picking out a tree and saying, "You know what? This tree really pisses me off!"

Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
What's with all the snowblowers up North?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What's with all the snowblowers up North?
Yeah and those maple trees and cherry blossoms. I mean, I was in Washinton DC and there were like tons of cherry blossoms. What's up with that? I mean I'm from the South, we don't have those here. And those birch trees, I mean, they have smooth bark just like a crepe myrtle but they are trees. I mean how weird is that? I'm used to oak bark so that just seems weird to me.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post
There seems to be a movement among lawn care/landscape people to convince the general public that crepe myrtles need to have their tops cropped every year just before spring. I think it is just a way for them to charge extra because it doesn't do the crepe myrtle any good. Indeed, it just stunts their growth, like you say, AustinDude360.

Known by my Master Gardener DW as "Crepe Murder". Happened all the time back in Atlanta. Folks are trying to keep it like a shrub instead of a tree.

Fun story...finally dug up the roots of a long-removed Crepe Myrtle that had spread under a driveway and walk...for a good 25 feet! Took a section of the remnants and stabbed it into the ground in the back yard. Sure enough, the next year that tree looked like it had been professionally installed and nursed back to health! Grew nicely for the next 2-3 years before we moved. Wonder what it looks like seven years later

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Took a section of the remnants and stabbed it into the ground in the back yard. Sure enough, the next year that tree looked like it had been professionally installed and nursed back to health! Grew nicely for the next 2-3 years before we moved. Wonder what it looks like seven years later
Amazing.

And isn't interesting how some plants are so hearty and intrepid while others are so sensitive?

I have a ficus in my living room that will drop forty leaves on the floor if you give it a dirty look.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:10 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Well, since our St. Augustine front lawn died out over the past 4 years of drought, heat, & pestilence, we decided to xeriscape it. One of our sons did the basic work over two days, and we will be adding several planter pots with flowers in the center mulch bed & corners, but NO crape myrtles . So far:

(hope the picture is right side up)

Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, since our St. Augustine front lawn died out over the past 4 years of drought, heat, & pestilence, we decided to xeriscape it. One of our sons did the basic work over two days, and we will be adding several planter pots with flowers in the center mulch bed & corners, but NO crape myrtles . So far:

(hope the picture is right side up)
Looks nice. Only comment is that those metal edges rust over time and easily pierce bare feet. Then it will be tetanus time. So I probably would have put stones on the edge. But overall it looks really good. And free labor huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin