Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times

Advertisements

So I we have been in Austin since last Friday. The moving truck arrives today with a bunch of stuff that is meant for the house ends up in storage and visa versa. We ask "where is our Fridge? What about the kids bunk bed?" . The driver tells me that I told him they go into storage. sigh. Tomorow they promise to bring the missing stuff.

Our cars happen to arrive tonight as well...things are looking up. Well not so fast.. We get the first car off the truck I park it 100 yards away under a light to get inspect it. I lock it. While waiting for the second car to come off of the truck, I notice a car pull up next to the first car. Something seems odd so I head back to the first car and I see someone is IN MY CAR!!! I start running after him and he bolts into his car. I grab his door handle, then I smarten up and let go before I get dragged down the road. I get a good look at him and call 911 with the license plate, description of the driver, get away vehicle, and direction. The police finally show up after an hour and take a report. He commends me with the good description and takes a report. He shows me a picture of the owner of the vehicle and it looks like the same guy. Hopefully they will do something about it. I now have to replace the little triangle vent window which will cost me $200. lost my xm radio and a couple CD's. grrrrrrrr.

Anyone have a good recomendation for an autoglass place that will replace the little window for a bargain? I will have to pay it myself because I don't want my insurance to go up and my deductable is $250.

This was at the Marriott hotel at mopac and braker ln.

I think I am cursed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Default Take Heart

Your in Texas now, get a license to carry a concealed weapon and the next time you find some chuckle head in your car shoot him and then call the police and its all good.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 AM

95 posts, read 337,473 times
I am so sorry that happened to you! I hope you are able to begin actually enjoying your new home soon.

For an auto glass place, I used Armadillo a couple of months ago when my driver's side window was smashed out - they came out to my place and replaced it on site, quoted me a lower price than two other services and stuck to the quote even when the job turned out to be more complicated than they expected and an additional guy had to come out.
Armadillo Auto Glass
10714 Laurel Ln
Austin, TX 78798
(512) 836-7712

You are not cursed! But that sounds exactly like I felt exactly a year ago this week when I came to town to look for a place - I had one week to spend and had planned to leave with a signed lease - landed on MLK Day in the middle of the freak ice storm that shut down half the state for days. Things will get better - welcome!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Man, that sucks! Hope things work out better for you.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
It will get better!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Sorry about the unwelcome occurrences. Sadly, the criminal element has risen as newcomers move to town.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Welcome and sorry you had such a bad experience so soon. I can assure you that I have lived here for 21 years and haven't encountered bad things as you described. Austin really is a nice place overall and has a lower crime rate than most cities its size (trust me, I spent two months in Memphis this year!). Once you get settled in, I think you will find it to be a much nicer place.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:17 AM

347 posts, read 1,566,760 times
What a bummer! My husband got rear-ended (totalled his one year old truck) the first day of his new job here in Austin. The moving truck that showed up at our house had all our storage stuff too. The trucks with our house stuff didn't show up for three more days. Then they showed up an hour before my husband went out of town for the whole week. I had to unpack all by myself. Plus I forgot to get the gas turned on and we didn't have hot water for five more days.
I think there's some special Murphy's law just for people who are moving. Everything seems to go wrong! I can't ever find the important things I need, only things like boxes full of extension cords, or old baby clothes. Where are the towels? The silverware? The kids vaccination records?
I hate moving!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Our move wasnt smooth either. Our mover, a student from Israel visiting US for 6 months for quick money, did not understand that he had to re-assemble the furniture per the moving contract. Finally, when he agreed to re-assemble, he had no clue about where the nuts and bolts were and how would they be used. I had to work with him for 3-4 hours to get the things unloaded and assembled. I was almost about to scream and shout at one time.. A leather chair was missing and so was one box, which were shipped almost a month later!

That mover guy constantly bitched about how much work it was to be a mover -- as if it was my fault

I know a bad moving experience is not Austin's fault.

welcome to the hood.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM

47 posts, read 189,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post

This was at the Marriott hotel at mopac and braker ln.

I think I am cursed now.
It's getting bad up north...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: