Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,067,244 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently am having troubles consistently getting my newspaper on a daily basis at my apartment in NW Austin and there have been various days where it never showed up. I called the customer service number and the lady informed me that the newspaper isn't being delivered consistently since they are "having troubles finding people to deliver the paper" (Geez, I had no idea! ;-) ).

The point of this posting is, as far as you all know, do all the newspapers use the same carriers? Or do different newspapers use different carriers? If it means anything, I currently get the WSJ and enjoy reading it, but have considered canceling and switching to the USA Today if they don't fix the problems soon (assuming they don't use the same carrier).

Any advice would be helpful!

Sincerely,
Newspaperless in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,015,840 times
No, most papers are printed in the Austin (all the but Statesman itself right now) and most are delivered together, in my neighborhood the same person delivers the AAS, NYT, WSJ, FT, and probably USA Today too.

Apartments are the worst!! The driver has to leave the car, walk in the dark, look for building numbers that are hard to find . . . the apartment routes have the very highest turnover and even in single family neighborhoods delivery can be tricky.

I bet you would get more consistent delivery if you had the paper left at the complex office or some other central location, near the gate etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:24 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,238,081 times
well, you said "any advice would be helpful" -- so, why don't you just go to the electronic versions of any of those?

Probably why they are having a hard time finding people is that so many have dropped the hard copy and there isn't as much to be made for driving the same distance. I went to the iPad version of the AAS and haven't missed a thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:30 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I went to the iPad version of the AAS and haven't missed a thing.
I went to the 'don't get it at all' version and haven't missed a thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Apartments are the worst!! The driver has to leave the car, walk in the dark, look for building numbers that are hard to find . . . the apartment routes have the very highest turnover and even in single family neighborhoods delivery can be tricky.

I bet you would get more consistent delivery if you had the paper left at the complex office or some other central location, near the gate etc.
I see what you mean, that's a good point. I told them that I'd be ok with them delivering the paper with the mail. If things don't get fixed, I'll also mention that, if the carrier just wants to drive by and toss the paper in front of the main office, that'd be ok too. I do empathize with the drivers, since I figure it wouldn't be very fun to stop, enter the gate code, drive in, then search for the building and apartment. So, I'm trying to be more flexible on my end too.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
well, you said "any advice would be helpful" -- so, why don't you just go to the electronic versions of any of those?

Probably why they are having a hard time finding people is that so many have dropped the hard copy and there isn't as much to be made for driving the same distance. I went to the iPad version of the AAS and haven't missed a thing.
Also a good suggestion! I suppose I'm just used to having my morning coffee while reading through the paper. But, to state the obvious, if I got the electronic version, I wouldn't have to worry about missed deliveries!

Again, I've been patient with the newspaper carrier since I realize it's not as straightforward as driving by my apartment and tossing the paper out and zipping off. But, most likely, I'll try the USPS or front office route if it's not fixed soon.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM

62 posts, read 77,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Also a good suggestion! I suppose I'm just used to having my morning coffee while reading through the paper. But, to state the obvious, if I got the electronic version, I wouldn't have to worry about missed deliveries!

Again, I've been patient with the newspaper carrier since I realize it's not as straightforward as driving by my apartment and tossing the paper out and zipping off. But, most likely, I'll try the USPS or front office route if it's not fixed soon.

Thanks again!
I don't know if you work......but if you do maybe get it delivered at work? We have some people that get the WSJ and NYT in our office. Just a thought....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM

Thanks, that's also a good idea! I currently work the afternoon shift, but they could hold on to it at the front desk where I work, the company is fairly big.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,041,413 times
Someone may be stealing your paper too. When I lived in an apartment complex (back in CA), I ended up missing a few of my papers, until I had the feeling someone was stealing it from my front door. I ended up laying in wait one morning after the paper was delivered just to check - and caught a neighbor from across the way running over to my door and grabbing my paper and running back over to hers. Suffice to say, that was the very last one she ever stole from me! LOL

Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Someone may be stealing your paper too. When I lived in an apartment complex (back in CA), I ended up missing a few of my papers, until I had the feeling someone was stealing it from my front door. I ended up laying in wait one morning after the paper was delivered just to check - and caught a neighbor from across the way running over to my door and grabbing my paper and running back over to hers. Suffice to say, that was the very last one she ever stole from me! LOL
Lol, I also considered that. I'll keep an eye out for that! I also will mention to them to deliver the newspaper on my porch, since that way a would-be thief would need to amble over rocks and blatantly go into my patio just to get a newspaper. Hopefully no one is stealing it, that would suck! But, the lady said on the phone they are having carrier issues, so hopefully it's not theft and a lack of a delivery person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin