Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all,

I currently live in a 1 BR apt and my girlfriend will return from overseas next month. She was abroad when I signed the lease, so that's why she isn't listed on it. I want to sleep easy and not worry about legalities, so is my best choice to speak with the leasing office and just be upfront about it? They seem understanding and cool overall, so I don't think it'd be an issue.

We would obviously share the bedroom, so it wouldn't be "Airbnb-style" where she'd be sleeping in the living room. I know the COA is trying to crack down on room sharing, so I don't want it to get misinterpreted as I'm renting the room/living room to her. To stay worry-free, the day she arrives in Austin should we both go to the main office and get her name on the lease? This way we are (literally) on record for living together.
Any helpful suggestions? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM

I did some googling and it seems like trying to get her added as an "Authorized Occupant" could be a good way to go. This should mean there wouldn't need to be a new lease, AFAIK. Does that sound right? Thx!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM

176 posts, read 218,713 times
When I did this I just talked to the leasing office at my apartment complex, they made me fill out a form/checked my credit, and I got added to the lease.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Most complexes have a max number of people that can be in the apartment. Just check with your apartment's office and get her added. I think it would be silly for a 1 bedroom to max out at 1 person. Most places I see are 3 max for a 1 bedroom.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Thanks Bear and Ash!! I'm thinking it should be a "You're adding her to the lease, no worries. Sign this form and we'll be good to go" sort of conversation (I hope). I live in a fairly big complex and see various couple walking around, so I don't think it should be a big deal if two of us stay together in the apt. But, I'll double check with them! :-)

Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 51,430 times
This really shouldn't be a big deal at all. 2 people living in a 1BR apt is the norm. Leasing offices have limits, but it's normally 3-4 people for each BR. I'm guessing you'll just have to sign a few forms adding her name to the lease and that's it.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Steve! Sounds good :-).

Old 08-03-2015, 04:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
If she has really lousy credit history, bankruptcy, unpaid debt issues or a criminal history, they can refuse to add her to the lease. The reason for that is... if you were to break up and you move out, they would be stuck with her as a tenant. So they need to make sure she meets their qualifications. Hopefully none of that will be a problem, if it is and you were not aware of it, it may give you pause...

Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If she has really lousy credit history, bankruptcy, unpaid debt issues or a criminal history, they can refuse to add her to the lease. The reason for that is... if you were to break up and you move out, they would be stuck with her as a tenant. So they need to make sure she meets their qualifications. Hopefully none of that will be a problem, if it is and you were not aware of it, it may give you pause...
Hi, as far as I know, she doesn't have any major issues like that; Would that still hold true if she was an authorized occupant and not a tenant? Again, I'm 99% sure none of those apply to her, so we should be all good in that regard. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: