Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
Don't expect any home appreciation in Buda/Kyle for years.
You make lots of rash statements in your posts, unfortunately you rarely know what you are talking about!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwhit View Post
I am crossing my fingers that this mess goes bankrupt. We are due for a nice economic failure and I hope we have one. I have no debt to worry about and no investments that would be impacted by one. I am tired of all the people moving here and one way to stop this mess is an economic collapse. Because our government surely does not care about preservation.
The last economic failure resulted in more people moving to Austin, as it was one of the few places that still had growth and jobs.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 25,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The last economic failure resulted in more people moving to Austin, as it was one of the few places that still had growth and jobs.
Yes and now saturation is reaching its limit. We are heavily dependent on services that will dry up if the economy reaches its limit again.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Travis County and City of Austin don't spend funds to improve roads for people who live in Hays County (with the exception of those roads in Hays County that are in the city of Austin).
I would say the widening of FM 1626 in Travis County is primarily to benefit Hays County commuters:

Open House - FM 1626 Widening and Improvement Project

Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,243,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I would say the widening of FM 1626 in Travis County is primarily to benefit Hays County commuters
You linked to a TxDOT project. How much COA or Travis County money is being spent?

And besides, as someone who lives nearby, I'd challenge the assumption that this is "primarily to benefit Hays County commuters" anyway.

Last edited by scm53; 08-17-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,962,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You make lots of rash statements in your posts, unfortunately you rarely know what you are talking about!

What does the selling price of (mostly new) houses say about the appreciation of existing houses in Buda/Kyle?

For all we know, those new houses are just getting bigger.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You linked to a TxDOT project. How much COA or Travis County money is being spent?

And besides, as someone who lives nearby, I'd challenge the assumption that this is "primarily to benefit Hays County commuters" anyway.
It does not say anything about money in the supporting documents but does state: "Travis County in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is in the
planning phases to widen and improve FM 1626 from Brodie Lane to FM 2304 (Manchaca Road)."

As far as I know it is not a Congressional earmark which means there is probably a local (i.e. Travis County) cost share component.

Yeah I think I will use it once a year to go to the Weiner dog races if I happen to wake up in West Austin. As I put forth in the commuting thread almost everyone who lives in Travis County works in Travis County, which is not true for Hays County.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 08-17-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,243,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yeah I think I will use it once a year to go to the Weiner dog races if I happen to wake up in West Austin. As I put forth in the commuting thread almost everyone who lives in Travis County works in Travis County, which is not true for Hays County.
So basically, you have no idea who benefits from this, and stated that this project "is primarily to benefit Hays County commuters" based on nothing other than a generalized observation? Did that nail it, or do you have something real behind your statement?

This road widening is to facilitate E-W traffic in far S Travis county. There is no E-W route until Slaughter, which is already in the top congested roads in the state. This two lane road is now solid traffic, between Brodie and Manchaca - so solid it is REALLY difficult to get out of the neighborhoods along 1826. The five lanes is to simply let Travis county residents get out of their neighborhoods.

Hays commuters will turn off 1826 onto 45 way before they ever get to this section. 1826 is a horrible way to get from Hays to 35 - there isn't an overpass at 35, and all you accomplish is to get in the 35 mess about where it starts getting bad. If one is willing to endure 35 to miss the 45 tolls, they will just go 967 to Main and over.

Just another example of fact free hatred of suburbanites.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 PM

404 posts, read 709,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwhit View Post
Yes and now saturation is reaching its limit.
That limit is determined by an overvalued market. Fitch says 20% and I believe them.

People are moving here from everywhere for all tiers of jobs, and some come without jobs at all.
A national economic contraction will bring more people here looking for what scraps they can pull... the thing is, they won't see the trap until the leases/mortgages are signed and the bills start coming in for utilities/taxes/COL. Maybe then, if the local economy follows suit, you will see the bubble burst.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
So basically, you have no idea who benefits from this, and stated that this project "is primarily to benefit Hays County commuters" based on nothing other than a generalized observation? Did that nail it, or do you have something real behind your statement?

This road widening is to facilitate E-W traffic in far S Travis county. There is no E-W route until Slaughter, which is already in the top congested roads in the state. This two lane road is now solid traffic, between Brodie and Manchaca - so solid it is REALLY difficult to get out of the neighborhoods along 1826. The five lanes is to simply let Travis county residents get out of their neighborhoods.

Hays commuters will turn off 1826 onto 45 way before they ever get to this section. 1826 is a horrible way to get from Hays to 35 - there isn't an overpass at 35, and all you accomplish is to get in the 35 mess about where it starts getting bad. If one is willing to endure 35 to miss the 45 tolls, they will just go 967 to Main and over.

Just another example of fact free hatred of suburbanites.
I have commuting numbers from Census for Hays and Travis residents to back up my statemensts. If you have a scientific survey at a lower lever geography please share it with us. Everyone knows Buda and Kyle are primarily bedroom communities that export their workers; the reverse - South Austinites commuting to Hays County - is the exception to the rule in comparison.

Mostly everyone in that area lives north of FM 1626 and commutes north into Austin. Hays commuters are still taking Brodie, Manchaca, and S 1st into Austin via FM 1626 in order to avoid IH-35.

And you have no right to call into question my motivation, claiming the I hate suburbanites. Pointing out travel behaviors is not partaking in a conspiracy or belittling a group. Get a grip man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin