Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 PM

389 posts, read 422,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Those in a mall come from many many areas and social and economic strata. It is not a controlled group nor adequate measure of a locale's demographics. Go look in the classroom windows at the public school that's a stones throw away from that mall. Then report back on the diversity you see there.
So made an observation that was not at a school down the street from Barton Creek Mall, but in Cedar Park..... At New Family Orientation there was a great diversity of people at my kids new school. Again, it looked pretty much like the school my kids attended in Ca, and that school was very diverse.

I guess I don't equate diversity with the number of festivals or types of restaurants I see around me. I'm Cajun/Irish/English, so I guess I should start my own festival for that combo.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,460 times
We went to this a few years ago and it was a good time: Mediterranean Festival, Austin, TX, 2012

Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Are there any neighborhoods in Austin where you are likely to hear Spanish being spoken?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM

27 posts, read 25,482 times
Diversity is not real, if you define it as actually communicating and doing what others do. Races tend to flock together, not separate themselves so they can continue their traditions. Diversity is , for most, an Americanized version of a meal in a restaurant and an occasional hello and chat at work.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 AM

772 posts, read 1,059,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Just keep changing the goal posts until what you're saying isn't rubbish.

The intelligentsia's definition of diversity these days doesn't count Hispanics, Jews, or Asians, presumably because they lack sufficient oppressed status. It's sad, really, that the actual counter-culture movement has devolved into pathetic grasping for victimhood - even victimhood invented out of whole cloth. Like they have no other way to define themselves without pointing a finger at someone and denouncing them.

Of course, none of these people would last five seconds under real oppression - whether Vietnam, the gulags, either World War, or even modern-day Russia. The only injustice they're injustice they're capable of fighting doesn't even exist if one relies on dictionaries for the meaning of language rather than progressive kool-aid.
Wow.. All I can say is really!!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Not insulting, but Texas is a majority minority State. You can't go anywhere and not hear Spanish spoken.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:36 PM

657 posts, read 739,882 times
Austin isnt diverse at all in my Houston eyes but I thought it was common sense that any major Texas city will have some barrios and ghetto's! This aint Maine!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 PM

269 posts, read 428,219 times
Compared to the other major cities in Texas, Austin isnt diverse at all.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
If you define "diversity" narrowly as % of blacks (as several have here in this thread), it is very common for the most "progressive" cities in the country to have VERY low black populations. Many of the "progressive" meccas such as Austin, Portland, Denver, Minneapolis, and Seattle all have black populations below the national average of 12%.

The question is, why? At least one observation is that it is white flight by a different mechanism:

Quote:
Why move to the suburbs of your stodgy Midwest city to escape African Americans and get criticized for it when you can move to Portland and actually be praised as progressive, urban and hip? Many of the policies of Portland are not that dissimilar from those of upscale suburbs in their effects. Urban growth boundaries and other mechanisms raise land prices and render housing less affordable exactly the same as large lot zoning and building codes that mandate brick and other expensive materials do. They both contribute to reducing housing affordability for historically disadvantaged communities. Just like the most exclusive suburbs.
The White City | Newgeography.com

Old 08-20-2015, 05:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,131 times
I hear there are indian people in austin ive just never seen one is the feeling i get when im back in austin. I dont know what makes this happen

Here sometimes I feel like what happened to all the white people

Not saying I miss one or the other. Its like traveling in minnesota and being amazed you feel like you stick out as a brunette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin