Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 PM

203 posts, read 237,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Certainly not too high in comparison with the neighborhood. There are some new construction homes about 1.5 miles west; but they are really jammed together and are way too close to 183A for my tastes. This one was for sale by an independent agent and maybe not as 'visible' as others. Other than a severe slope to the back yard, I can't see anything that would preclude a sale.
How is the HOA out in Avery? Looking at some of the older communities around Austin for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 AM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
Quote:
Certainly not too high in comparison with the neighborhood. There are some new construction homes about 1.5 miles west; but they are really jammed together and are way too close to 183A for my tastes. This one was for sale by an independent agent and maybe not as 'visible' as others. Other than a severe slope to the back yard, I can't see anything that would preclude a sale.
Taking a look on redfin, it looks they changed the price a whole bunch and then had a couple of pendings that fell through.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Taking a look on redfin, it looks they changed the price a whole bunch and then had a couple of pendings that fell through.
Yeah, this has been a strange one. From the pics, I don't see anything like purple floors or ghosts that might run folks off. About 90% stone, just a touch of Hardi-Plank. Walking distance(easy) to BBQ, Pizza, Smoothies, Mail Store, Cleaners, Chinese food, Spa, Fitness, Banks galore, Tanning, Urgent Care, Chiro-doc, etc, etc. Can see the Brushy Creek Trail. Falls into the sweetspot, pricewise, for lots of folks, faces east for some folks. Medium sized tree in the front for morning shade(some wouldn't like it in front of the entry door...I find it a benefit). It's just a one-off in this crazy market...an outlier, as they say.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
How is the HOA out in Avery? Looking at some of the older communities around Austin for the time being.
For a place with 4000 homes, I think the HOA does a good job(although SOMEbody is making a ton of money, I reckon). Latest buzz on the FB page is about overnight(long-term) street parking and there is the occasional dustup over landscape issues. We have some neighborhoods to the south without HOAs and it's easy to see the benefit(some aren't actually in the city limits of Austin) of having SOME restrictions on the appearance of the front of homes. Why someone would leave a portable basketball goal in the street permanently is beyond me(did I mention the goal doesn't have a hoop?). Dang!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Why someone would leave a portable basketball goal in the street permanently is beyond me(did I mention the goal doesn't have a hoop?). Dang!
Sounds like bulk item pick-up material .

Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Sounds like bulk item pick-up material .
Dang...it's in the North Austin MUD and they have private trash pickup...GREAT idea though

Like the MAACO commercial..."Are you SURE that's TRASH?" "I'm SURE!!!"

Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
For a place with 4000 homes, I think the HOA does a good job(although SOMEbody is making a ton of money, I reckon). Latest buzz on the FB page is about overnight(long-term) street parking and there is the occasional dustup over landscape issues. We have some neighborhoods to the south without HOAs and it's easy to see the benefit(some aren't actually in the city limits of Austin) of having SOME restrictions on the appearance of the front of homes. Why someone would leave a portable basketball goal in the street permanently is beyond me(did I mention the goal doesn't have a hoop?). Dang!
Heh, good luck trying to enforce that "no overnight street parking" rule. It's against the HOA rules in our neighborhood as well, and I'd say about 85%-90% of the people adhere to it, but there's at least one house on every block that has one car out on the street in front of their house. The homes have some of the longest/broadest driveways I have ever seen, reminiscent of landing strips, yet some people still park their car in front of their door. usually the people who do this are younger drivers. I've been told in my last neighborhood that the streets are property of the city/county (they are also maintained by the county/city), so theoretically, everyone can park on the street on both sides if they so desired.

The problem with the lone car on the main street is that it poses a hazard to bikers. The parked car blocks a bike lane and causes the biker to have to go around it. Not good when there is vehicular traffic.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 AM

I have heard annoying things about the avery ranch HOA. Anyways, home hunting has stalled. Haven't found anything that I like for under 400k in Travis County. Anyone see coming soon signs in neighborhoods? Any advice on Lakeway area? Seems homes are in my budget out there, but not sold on the drive/isolation. Would like to find a place in Balcones Woods, but that isn't happening.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Lake Pointe has nice homes in your price range. That is where I would look if looking to buy today.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Well lake pointe sucked. At least the 2 homes I looked at. Tiny and expensive! Where do I find homes with open floor plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin