Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 PM

41 posts, read 122,754 times

Advertisements

So on 7/25 I viewed an apartment and decided to rent it. The move-in date was to be 8/23 and the rent was $1,043. I filled out the application and paid the admin/app/security deposit (almost $400 total, which they cashed). I received a call saying that I couldn't move in on the 23rd anymore because that was a Sunday. We then agreed on 8/21 as the move-in date. I called last week to see what my move-in total was and they said I was scheduled to move-in on the 22nd. I corrected them that it was the 21st. They said that's fine and they'll email the details to me.

I received an email yesterday with all the move-in info. It stated the move-in date would be the 24th and the rent would be $1,057. I did not agree to either this date or this amount of rent. I tried calling but no one answers the phone. I am frustrated at this point because I need to coordinate these dates with the moving and utility companies. At this point I have no clue what my move-in date or rent is supposed to be. I also can't tell if this company is really incompetent or is just shady. They had a "no-deposit if leased within 48 hours special" on their website but when I asked they said that wasn't valid anymore. But the special is still up there almost a month later!

I don't need to move until the 31st so I'm thinking of just finding another place because this is starting to get ridiculous and I don't trust this company anymore. Anyone know if they can keep the $400 I've paid them already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
The shifting dates is frustrating but I would not make a fuss over a $14 difference in rent. Do you not have a written and signed lease?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Like Central Austinite said, do you have a signed lease? What does it say?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:48 PM

41 posts, read 122,754 times
No, they told me I would be signing the lease on my move-in day.

EDIT: And I know the $14 is not that big of a deal, but it's still $168 over the life of the lease and I don't like that they told me one amount when I was applying and now, right before move-in, it's a different amount.

Last edited by blueskies85; 08-16-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies85 View Post
No, they told me I would be signing the lease on my move-in day.

EDIT: And I know the $14 is not that big of a deal, but it's still $168 over the life of the lease and I don't like that they told me one amount when I was applying and now, right before move-in, it's a different amount.
I have never heard of that, I have always signed the lease when I gave the deposit. Let's hope they actually have a place for you. I understand that $14 adds up over the life of the lease but with the very tight rental market in Austin, you don't have much leverage. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 AM

164 posts, read 329,908 times
Sounds shady, should have signed a lease when you put down deposit. Also, if they are pulling this kind of stuff now, who knows what they will do in the future.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Your TAA application should state a "contemplated" rent, move-in date, etc. Read carefully your actual application, as it is a form of agreement in and of itself. It governs the handling of your fees and deposit and what happens if a lease isn't signed.

Sounds like they are just disorganized though, which is common. Assume that will be the case when you need a repair or other service. If you're in Austin you can contact the Austin Tenant's Council for free help and advice (though they are busy and overworked so you may not get an immediate response).

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: