Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 44,507 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My wife's birthday is next week and I wanted to take her to Truluck's as she has been craving crab legs, but the kids are crying no fair and want to go too.

Would Truluck's be ok with a 15,12 and 10 year old or would we stick out like a sore thumb.

They would be in proper attire and for the most part know are good in restaurants.

Or if anyone has any suggestions for upscale restaurants with good crab legs that would be good for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM

164 posts, read 329,825 times
They will be fine. The only problem I would see is if they are loud and cause a ruckus.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 AM

65 posts, read 86,837 times
I think it's totally appropriate to include them in proper attire, like you said. You may also consider an earlier reservation, depending on the age of your kids. Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM

42 posts, read 46,178 times
I have a funny story about Truluck's from, I figure, about 15-20 years ago. At the time we didn't live in Austin but were here on vacation. We were leaving to go home but needed to eat before we got out of town going north on 183. We were just going to pick a restaurant on the way. When we saw Truluck's we decided to just go for it. Well, we walked in wearing "typical family summer vacation" attire, i.e., shirts and t-shirts, sat down, ordered our drinks, and opened our menus. It was at that point we realized that we were probably not at the right place but...oh the dilemma...what do we do now? We ended up explaining our situation to the server, paying for our drinks, leaving a big tip, and slinking out the door. Luckily it was very early in the evening and I'm not even sure there was anyone in the restaurant (I remember thinking they must not be doing very well - haha). I have to smile every time I drive by it now!

Old 08-20-2015, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 780,781 times
I guess I'm going to offer a different opinion and say, no way would I bring a 10 and 12 year old to Truluck's. The 15 year old would probably be fine, but still, leave the kids with a sitter and take your wife out for a proper adult birthday dinner. Or choose a restaurant that is more family friendly.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 71,085 times
I think it depends on your kids. No one knows them better than you. If you think they won't disturb other diners, take them. I took my nearly 3 year old and she did fine.

You could also have a back up plan for someone to pick them up if its not working out.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,576 times
Depends on the kids. Our kids are younger and we take them to similar restaurants, including uchiko and we haven't had any issues. I agree that an earlier reservation is best.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,951 times
Take them. Don't worry about what anyone else says. A plan for someone to pick them up if it doesn't work out? Ha ha. That made me laugh. My kids are younger and I wouldn't do it, but yours are older so go for it!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
I guess I'm going to offer a different opinion and say, no way would I bring a 10 and 12 year old to Truluck's. The 15 year old would probably be fine, but still, leave the kids with a sitter and take your wife out for a proper adult birthday dinner. Or choose a restaurant that is more family friendly.
I'm sure the birthday girl would love a dinner at Chuy's or Phil's Icehouse. Ugh! Bad advice.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 PM

615 posts, read 780,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I'm sure the birthday girl would love a dinner at Chuy's or Phil's Icehouse. Ugh! Bad advice.
The point is, take your wife out for her birthday and get a sitter. It is a special occasion and adults need time alone. Truluck's is not a family restaurant and people who are spending $100-200 per plate (or more) for a formal dinner should not be subjected to your children, no matter how behaved you think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin